Hammock Tents - Super linky - got one? tell us about it and post pics here!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by HighTechCoonass, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Racerman27410

Racerman27410 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got to try out my Warbonnet Ridge runner over the last weekend. I used an Exped downmat 9 XL for my insulation and with temps in the low 40's it was a beautiful thing... just needed my sleeping bag as a blanket!

there is absolutely zero shoulder squeeze and i didnt notice any spreader bar flex even with my 235lbs inside.

with the air mattress 3/4 inflated i could easily sleep on my stomach with no hyper extension...the RR is for sure my new go -to hammock.

[​IMG]
  2. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    Racerman -
    Is that a 16' Noah's tarp?
  3. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if these questions have been asked before, did not see answers in the pages I looked at. Never hammock camped before but as I get older I am getting less and less comfortable sleeping on the ground so I want to try hammock camping. Getting tired of waking up 10 times a night when my arm or goes to sleep or hip/shoulder hurts from pressing into the ground.

1) I sleep on my stomach and side, I have read it is possible in a hammock but does anyone really do it? Or is there something about sleeping in a hammock that allows stomach sleepers to sleep on their back?

2) What is the most cost effective way to try out hammock camping, I am looking for something that has a bug net and canopy, is not junk but doesn't break the bank?

3) In cold weather can I put my RidgeRest in the hammock and sleep on it to get insulation? I get cold easy when I sleep. Seems like that might not work since it is a stiffer pad.

Thanks
  4. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    I sleep in a "figure 4" partially on my side. "Bridge" style hammocks like the one pictured above allow side and stomach sleeping.

Cost effective? Try an Eno out- take a nap in it, or sleep in your basement and see how it goes. They can be had pretty cheap at REI sales- you could rig a bug net and tarp if you'd like to try camping in a hammock.

Double layer hammocks allow you to put a semi inflated sleeping pad between two layers of fabric beneath you- though most graduate to an underquilt eventually due to comfort and warmth advantages.

I graduated to hammock camping after getting fed up with tent camping and constantly being uncomfortable. I have back issues and find the hammock to be much better on my bad back after
    a few nights out. Some folks recommend a cot when tent camping- but the bulk of a cot just doesn't appeal to me. The hammock system really pairs well with m/c, rafting, hiking trips.
  5. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am a side back and stomach sleeper normally. In the hammock I usually sleep totally on my back, and rarely wake up more than 1 or 2 times during the night. Occasionally I'll sleep semi-side which due to the cradling of the hammock is pretty comfortable. I don't think you can really sleep on your stomach in any gathered end hammock. There's always a little bit of a banana lay so on your stomach you'll be bent backward.

Like Jabba said, stomach sleepers need a bridge style hammock. That's where the truly flat lay is.
  6. Racerman27410

Oddometer:

Its the 12x12.

for my hammocks i set it up square with its own ridegline.... my tarp is the first thing setup at camp and the last thing taken down before i leave. Everything that needs to stay dry stays dry just the way i like it!

it also works well as a nice seating area in bad weather.... since i dont need to setup the hammock until bedtime it leaves a nice large area for socializing.... amazing how many new friends you make in a campground when you have cover!
  7. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I've been using the same setup, just rigged a bit differently.
  8. Racerman27410

Oddometer:
    that was what sold me on the kelty.... they have tie outs everywhere so lots of options for setup. Are you using a ridgeline?
  9. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    Sometimes. I used a ridge line the last time I set up my daughters hammock and it worked real well.
  10. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone ever make an under quilt out of a poncho liner? Seems like it would not be too hard.
  11. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    I have a Hennessey Hammock. I think it is the Expedition model.

1. I sleep on either side easily in a loose, fetal position. The trick is to hang it with just a bit of slack and to lie diagonally.

2. A Hennessy comes with everything you need. I got mine used here in the Flea Market for a hundred bucks. Try the Hammock Forums for used gear too, but be quick as they get snapped up fast.

3. For insulation I have been using a truck windshield sun reflector. It is cheap and light, and has been warm enough down to the upper 40's so far. Sleeping pads tend to slide out from under you in a hammock, but maybe you could stick it inside your sleeping bag instead of under it?
  12. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thermarest prolite with a silk liner slipped over it for luxury. On cold nights with long johns on use the silk liner as designed as the longies keep you off the pad. My first 100 or so nights in my HH was this way, the last 50 have been with JRB quilts and they both work well but the quilt is better, whether it's $500 better is still up in the air. I liked having the pad along incase I had to go to ground which hasn't happenned yet.
  13. ravenranger

ravenranger rave

Oddometer:
    I have two Grand Trunk All Terrain Hybrid Shelters (fancy name for a hammock that can also be used as a tent or tarp - got mine on sale for about $30 each) and a 9x9 Noah's Tarp. I hang one hammock under the other with a mylar space blanket in between. I also have a Sleep Cell sleeping bag I picked up from Costco for $40. The Sleep Cell is cool because it has a built in foot vent (it originally had mesh in the vent but I cut out the mesh and can slip the whole bag over my double hammock set up. I've used this set up down to the mid-20's and been quite comfy.

Here's all the different configurations for the All Terrain Hybrid Shelter
    (both of my "hammocks" and the mylar space blanket fit inside just one stuff sack)
    [​IMG]

I also have a Hennessy that I've used with the Sleep Cell bag on the inside but found the "cocoon" set up works better and the Noah's Tarp gives better rain coverage.

BTW, just found this but it looks like Grand Trunk makes a "hammock" sleeping bag that works similar to what I came up with using my cheapo Sleep Cell from Costco!
    [​IMG]
  14. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ordered a Grand Trunk Ultralight for $20, figured it would be a good cheap way to try it out, can't wait!
  15. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    not in my area of Fla :(
  16. astrolump

astrolump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So....back in July I finished another run along the TET-s and TET from Florida to Maine. i was about 13 days on the road and in the hammock as i mentioned earlier in this thread.

I just got my camera back so i figured id post some photos and observations about the trip with a hammock and the gear.

the only place i came across an outright ban on hammock camping was in the Connecticut state parks. I was told the state officers would give me a $75 dollar fine with no warning issued. so the three days i was in Ct i camped in a private campground.

PYTHON STRAPS UPDATE. when i bought these things i thought they were great...but then one morning i saw this.....

[​IMG]
    i think that is enough damage to piss off a ranger...and maybe rightly so.
    also they do stretch if they get wet overnight. i may go back to the the hennesy tree huggers of some combination of both...the extra length of the pythons is great though.

all in all the hammock was great....i treated it with permathin and no mossy issues at all. super comfy and i awoke refreshed every morning....always dry no matter how much rain....and comfy in the heat...or cold with my shorty underquilt

my first hammock stealth camp....
    [​IMG]

mile high campground outside Cherokee
    [​IMG]

cant wait for the next trip...................
    [​IMG]
  17. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    That sucks. I see python straps are only 3/4" wide. Wonder if that same level of damage would have happened with 1" straps. 1/4" doesn't seem like a whole lot.

I've been using 1/2" straps on my backyard trees and see a little damage, but I am setting up at least once or twice a weekend on the same spots. Maybe the bark was soggy? Maybe more wraps around the tree would have helped?
  18. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    Certain barks - especially on some fir trees - have a very thick but soft bark that is easily compressed. I have found however, that it usually springs back after a few days **unless you hang a hammock from the same spot for several days**. You must also be careful about moving the strap - like sliding it while under tension, which will tear the bark.

Now, I have a strap question:

I've been using 11 mil climbing rope for the past 25 years or so, only switching to straps two years ago when I bought my Hennessy. Recently (because I had a coupon) I bought an ENO Doublenest along with a set of their Slap Straps for my daughter. The first time I used the straps, I felt that it was much better for setup than the Tree Huggers. I was going to order a set of their Atlas Straps to replace my Tree Huggers but based on the photo above, now I am not so sure.

Are there straps like the Slap Straps or the Atlas Straps (i.e., same principle) that are better/wider/better construction?
  19. K0m4

K0m4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's also http://www.madtree.fi/products.html that looks pretty nifty. Expensive, but I'm considering giving one a try. The weight is really, really low, but I think I'd need it made a bit longer for my stature..
  20. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    That's pretty cool. Like a bridge hammock with no spreaders. Just set the hammock up close enough to the tree and the tree acts like a spreader.