Touratech bracket and top case

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by middlepatent, Sep 21, 2012.

1. middlepatent

middlepatent Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I gave the GSA top case bracket on 2010 GS. Been riding with a friend who installed the Touratech bracket and aluminum top case on a 2011 GS. We did a break-in ride, 1,300 miles in New England, one dirt road to Riga Lake in CT/MA;. nothing serious.
    Its easy to see that the GSA bracket is a much sturdier design. It attaches well forward of the Touratech version which would seem to reduce torque when the bike goes over rough terrain.
    BUT, given Touratech's commitment to this market and quality reputation we assumed that the bracket would work well enough.
    It didn't.
    Both rear screws were sheared off at the frame when we got back into the barn. The load was moderate, less then I carry in my box. I am thinking it was either the install process, bad screws or bad design. Of those possibilities the first seems most likely but, that less then robust design lingers in my mind.
    Anybody use the Touratech brackets? Any problems?
    Feedback appreciated.
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I had a TT quick release bracket for my TT top box on a R1150GS. After a scary loose box I sold the quick release and bolted the box to the rack.

I've become a big dis-believer in quick release anything, the down sides just out weigh the up sides.
  3. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    Give TT a call. They are pretty good people and stand behind their stuff.
  4. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    I have the bracket and have had zero problems. In fact, I'm looking for another male plate that bolts to the bottom of the case. If u want to sell, let me know.
  5. MoxNix

MoxNix Ex-ExPat

Oddometer:
    The bolts should hold the surfaces of the bracket and mounting faces together not carry the weight of the box and its contents.