2014 Yamaha Triple: FZ-09 / MT-09

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, May 31, 2013.

1. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    indeed. :clap
  2. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    believe it or not, we agree. my KTM 450EXC was incredible for DS riding, single track, etc. It was lousy at long rides down the road. My Montesa Cota is awesome in the rocks and really technical riding but lousy at everything else.

what was overkill about the 950? I never needed the suspension travel, I never needed a big enduro, etc. It did the job but it wasn't the best choice (for me) for that trip. A 'strom or even the Connie would have been a better choice.

I'd do the trip again in a heartbeat on my FZ (after my new seat shows up).

This is the worst stretch we did and it was doable on the FZ with decent tires. Most of the riding was asphalt and gravel roads.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AyrWLmz0JDo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  3. motorock

motorock Explorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    40+ years ago? I rode such bikes just about 10 years ago- and that 15000+ feet trip was only 4 years ago! And I didn't feel like the standard bike was struggling much- helped immensely by its lightweight and punchy midrange- a nice tiny 150cc that is more fun than riding a 600lb bike on a straight freeway. Any determined rider can conquer anything on every thing- comfortably even.

Still reading that thread- very interesting

The FZ09 can be a lot of fun off-road- as this other video shows. I think we have already shared this but always makes me smile when I see it- the street rally version with dirt spec tires and nothing more.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JvQAHA1PNK4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But there will always be the nay-sayers who need to go out and do it themselves and see how much fun it can be. Got my sump guard on. Need to get the ADV style pegs from the street tracker model in the UK. After that, will get either scorpions or trail attacks when it is time to change the PR4s...not riding dirt any time soon anyway.

[​IMG]
  4. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    I think we need to for a FZ-09 Adventure Team :lol3
  5. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Hey Motorock,best looking sump guard I've seen for the FZ-09...is that SW Motech's or Hepko-Becker ?
  6. motorock

Oddometer:
    I think we need to. No, seriously. This is ADVRIDER godammit! :D

It is the SW-motech. Wasn't convinced that the Hepco Becker was enough protection for the underside and then you couldn't see the oil level with it on. Was pretty easy to install once I got the bolts out. ;
    More pics (with SHAD seat and extended adjustable pillion footpegs)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. manx_20

manx_20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few pics from an after Christmas ride 2 weeks ago

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Rorider

Rorider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder what it would take to make this bike into a scrambler? What are a scrambler characteristics anyways? Bigger front wheel?
  9. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    I'm slowly turning mine into a mild adventure bike. I rarely used all the suspension on my former 950. I think this will work out fine.
  10. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Scrambler is a broad term used to describe originally, motorcycles used to race off road events, decades ago. Definition has changed over the years. Today, Scrambler has become more of a title for new Retro machines that resemble bikes of years gone by.

The Triumph 900 Scrambler and the new Ducati Scrambler line are examples. Today's Hare Scrambles, Cross Country, Enduro's, all use dedicated racing machines from the likes of KTM, Husky, etc., unless running classic motorcycle events containing classic/40- 50 YOA+ bikes.

Google this, 'classic scrambler motorcycles', and view images. You will see hundreds of examples. What most are doing today is doing what Kyler is, setting up his FZ as a light Adventure mount, for on and some off road road riding. Have fun and show us what you create. tomp dd50
  11. wcohl

wcohl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitions will vary. When Honda or other manufacturer's came out with a "scrambler" in the 60's, it had a high exhaust and raised front fender. YMMV.
  12. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the "trials" tires and a handlebar with a crossbrace.
  13. motorock

Oddometer:
    What all are you planning to do? Are you doing anything to the suspension? any TC? Putting on TKCs? I am planning on conti trail attacks as the next tires- then all I need will be some lever guards and crash guards that can carry fuel cans. Somehow getting a bit more travel on the suspension would be great.

Essentially, that would qualify as a Scrambler- in the olden days anyway! Typically they had higher pipes but low pipes are acceptable too.
  14. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    I have used TKC80s in the past and they make tubeless 17" for front/rear so that is what I'll go with. As soon as I can afford a skid pan, I'll get one. I'm modifying an old set of footpegs from my old KTM 450. Those toothpicks that came with the FZ are ridiculous. I tried to raise the bars but there isn't enough slack in the cables and hoses. I might have been able to find enough but didn't feel like undoing brake lines, etc.

Right now the sspension is okay. I'm 230# and the suspension is soft for a street bike. When I get more money I may have a new rear shock made as well as redo the forks.
  15. oughtsix

oughtsix Reverse Engineer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if the new suspension from the FJ will make it to the FZ as well?
  16. bornincalgary

bornincalgary Rocky_MTN_DR

Oddometer:
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada, by the Rocky Mountains
    I think all they have done is give the FJ stiffer springs than what comes stock on the FZ.

As for ABS, I am not a huge fan of ABS, unless all motorcycle ABS systems start working better like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h9MVbkpLZQ
  17. vnsfxr

vnsfxr BornAgainDirtyRider

Oddometer:
    Dampening has been stiffened up along with progressive fork springs on the FJ
  18. Harpoonalt

Harpoonalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad I found this thread. I'm looking for a bike for paved and dirt back roads. The FJ09 looks great but everyone seems to think it would suck on dirt roads. I'm only looking at dirt town roads, no single track. So how does it do on dirt roads? Tires?
    Looking for a more distance friendly bike for exploring the back roads of Vermont. My XR650l works for anything rougher than that.
    :freaky
  19. Vectored2adv

Vectored2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know what mods were done to the fz09s in this vid due to the language, but it shows it can be done.

Pretty cool handguard wind deflector combo on the white fz09 in this vid also.

http://youtu.be/JvQAHA1PNK4
  20. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    :huh woah