BMW R1150RT / 1200RT / R1250RT Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hondo, Apr 28, 2010.

1. JADM

JADM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2003 rt that I got last year and I have made a few improvements.

one thing I was looking for was black reflective tape
    for the bags (silver stuff looks ugly)
    the onlu place I can find it is on amazon for an
    Outrageous price.(almost $30)

does any one know of a cheaper sorce for this ...
  2. Spat

Spat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  3. JADM

JADM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found what I was looking for
    3M Scotchlite Black Reflective Vinyl Tape

Kit RK-99
    Two 8" x 11" sections of 3M Scotchlite Black Reflective Vinyl Tape for the Do-It-Yourselfer. 176 square inches.
    for $16
    http://www.motoequip.com/RK.htm
    :clap thank you for the help
    don
  4. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
  5. XTrooper

XTrooper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Retired and living in the mountains of NE PA
    Thanks, Danny. I'm enjoying it a lot! :thumb
  6. Spat

Spat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sold to a local inmate, have fun my friend

7. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    After work today, geared up, went out to the bike. Bike cranked and cranked and finally was able to coax it to start. Just went out to go to the local drive in for bike night, and now it cranks and doesn't even try to fire.

Have to check for spark and fuel. Anything go bad on a regular basis I should check first?

It's a 2003 r 1150rt, btw.

Thanks in advance.
  8. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Just tested for spark and it fired on just the right cylinder:becca :baldy
  9. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    The plugs only have 2500 miles on them. I'm thinking it may be the Hall effect unit working intermitently. I've been reading about heat from the engine making the wires brittle and opening up.
  10. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    I was just looking at Max BMW's parts listings, and I noticed a cooling fan that mounts behind the oil cooler. Maybe for the RT P? Can this be added to a bike that didn't come with it? I sometimes sit in traffic and cringe as the oil temp rises.

Also, I tried the bike this morning and it started fine. :becca Makes it near impossible to diagnose the problem.
  11. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Link to Max BMW. http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51765&rnd=03192010

In the Cooling section, click the "Fan and additional mounting parts" section.

While removing the front cover from my moto, I noticed that there are tabs where it looks like a fan shroud may be mounted.

I think I'm going to put everything back together and go for a ride for a while, but stay near home. I'm tempted to change the HES, coil, and wires simply because of the age of the bike. I would just hate to throw $300 worth of parts at it and still have problems.
  12. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    It is possible that the wiring is there. Sometimes they have one harness that would work every possible option, and just add the options that the original customer orders.

If not, I would just have a switch on the bars or dash.
  13. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Everything's back together, and went for a ride. Ran exceptionally well. Got home, shut it off, and it restarted, though it did crank a bit longer than I would have liked. I'm probably just being hyper-sensitive, though.

You are probably right about reseating the wires Hondo. I ordered a coil, wires, and plugs from BeemerBoneyard and I'll do the fuel filter while the tank is off.
  14. JADM

JADM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have just arrived home from my longest ride so far (not a big deal by your standards) but it's another step forward for me. We did a week on the bike that went from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">San <st1:personName w:st="on">Jose</st1:personName></st1:City> to <st1:City w:st="on">Reno</st1:City> then out to <st1:City w:st="on">Carson City</st1:City>, then down to Minded And out to Yerington, and back around Lake Tahoe, to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Carson City</st1:City></st1:place> and back home. All told it was five days, 1000 miles (and a few rest stops for fire water and gambling) not a world record by any means, But I am working at expanding my abilities

when I got back and I noticed that i have 12k Service around the cornerand probably a set of new tires at the same time. I went back and calculated the repair cost per mile for each mile i ride this bike and over the past year I average 87.5 cents per mile in repair costs (not counting gas or oil)

I have an "RT"question for the group....

do I have a lemon of an RT or is this just what it costs to run an RT..???:dhorse

" am I throwing money at a dead hourse?

don
  15. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:

Contrary to what most people think, you can operate a modern economy car for far less than you can a modern larger displacement motorcycle. BMW’s fall into this group with one big exception, if you do your own work on them, including tire changes, the cost per mile can drop dramatically.
  16. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Bonding with my new to me 03' RT
    [​IMG]

Why, you ask? Slipping clutch is the answer. Tranny seal/Slave cylinder leak tiz' the answer.
    [​IMG]

While I was in there I went ahead and replaced all 5 tranny seals and the slave cylinder
    [​IMG]

She be perfect now:clap
  17. XTrooper

XTrooper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Retired and living in the mountains of NE PA
    Eighty seven cents per mile not counting gas and oil? I don't believe it. What in hell did you buy?

87 cents per mile x 12,000 miles = $10440.00

No fracking way!

You don't need a new bike, you need a new calculator! :D
  18. JADM

JADM Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    You'll save a ton of money doing the work yourself. It's not difficult at all. Check out the 'Wisdom' section at the bottom of the page for procedures, short cuts and specs. It's also a great way to learn the workings of your moto.

For instance, your $700 24k service cost me $150. Beemer Boneyard has a kit already put together with all the filters, fluids, washers, o-rings, and gaskets that you'll need.

Tires are normal wear items and can easily be spooned on and off with little difficulty. Shocks, too are wear items. Just bad timing it seems.

The inmates here are always very helpful if you decide to give it a try.
  20. GoFar

GoFar My butt hurts.

Oddometer:
    No such thing. They either work or don't. Someone will call bullshit...but that's how they work.