My Geezer Glide

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by EricD10563, Dec 1, 2012.

1. royal

royal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What kind of vented windshield did you put on ? I have an Electra Glide and like vented shields, but I couldn't find a company that offered one.
  2. PMC

PMC riding rider

Oddometer:

Clearview Shields does a number of sizes and tints, with our without recurve and with or without vents. They actually use the same vent used on Goldwings, it's a nice 5 position vent that works real well. They offer it in both a low configuration or a bagger position if you have a bag set up at the bottom of your shield.
    They're not cheap but are real nice. I have a shorter one for when I'm solo and a tall one for when the wife is road tripping with me as she doesn't like how much air she gets with the shorty.
  3. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on such a beautiful motorcycle.

Enjoy it for many miles to come.

:thumb :thumb

[​IMG]
  4. PMC

PMC riding rider

Oddometer:
    Ok, need to pile on with a pic :D
    Mine and a buddy's Ultra Limiteds on an overlook above Ouray CO this summer. Great trip, did 650 miles on our last day heading home.

[​IMG]
  5. EricD10563

EricD10563 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys are going to cost me more money, thanks for the tips. I was hoping I wouldn't have to take off the lowers, seeing the advantage even in warm weather and it sounds like I might not have to. I'm going to have to replace the shield since I can't see over it and I like too.

I know that spot outside of Ouray, I'm ready to go back.

[​IMG]
  6. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a two Road King owner, but never a faring FLH, what makes it better? I understand the miles and the "tightness" of new vs worn, but what is it about the faring? Like you I've put a lot of miles on Road Kings and have always thought the windshield did a nice job in all but the most turbulent conditions. But your post has me wondering. Thanks.
  7. EricD10563

Oddometer:
    I think it&#8217;s better (or not) depending on what you want, the Batwing makes for a non-turbulent ride but at the same time it can feel somewhat isolated when compared to the RK. I didn&#8217;t have any complaints with the RK (even though it was turbulent in comparison) and still don&#8217;t it certainly felt like you were riding a motorcycle, the EG is more car like sitting back and enjoying the tunes. I&#8217;m still getting used to not being able to see my front end and I miss that. I&#8217;ve never really looked at the EG before, this one just caught my eye and it was more spur of the moment. I&#8217;m really liking the tunes, when I rode the RK I just had a different mentality even though I wore ear buds I didn&#8217;t really enjoy the music like I do on the EG. I also have the adjustable fairing air deflectors and lowers which take more wind off of me, there really is a big difference between the RK and the EG. Handling wise I think when equally compared the RK is a better handing bike, it&#8217;s lighter and not as top heavy. The EG falls into corners compared to the RK with most of its 80+ pounds of weight located high on the bike, low speed handling suffers too. BTW I&#8217;m not saying it&#8217;s a hard adjustment because it&#8217;s not, but it&#8217;s noticeable. I can flat foot this bike better than the RK because of the different stock seat.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Is it better all depends what you&#8217;re looking for, I miss the RK but I&#8217;m quite certain that the EG is going to be less fatiguing on long rides. Have put 1800 miles on it so far and I&#8217;m liking that peaceful easy feeling more and more.
    <o:p>Styling wise I think the RK looks better, though the EG is growing on me and with the Tour-Pac removed I think it will look as nice as the RK. JMHO</o:p>
    <o:p>added: I do feel crosswinds and headwind more with the Batwing fairing and Tour-Pac,.</o:p>
  8. Old Blue

Old Blue Shallow waterman

Oddometer:
    Very nice. Congrats!

I read all this with interest because I just bought a 13 Road King Classic that I'm absolutely loving. Maybe I'm just one bike behind you.

I've been a dual-sporter my whole riding life until now, but I can tell I'm going to love the big Harley and will actually end up riding a lot more.

Again, congrats on your new bike!
  9. Advntr

Advntr Answering the call of the wild

Oddometer:
    The 09 & up Ultra Classics are comfortable, nice handling/riding tour pigs. As large as they are twisties are still handled with ease, however you will not be putting your knee down...Since the naysayers have never ridden one they have no clue what they are missing. Having done a good deal of late september - early october long distance touring I find the majority of the motorcycles on the road are...Harley tour bikes...ridden by the non pirate variety of HD owners. Go figure.

With only 2 mods you can make it a very fine ride that eats the miles on the 2 or 4 lane with ease. Add the fork baffle and a curved windshield like the cee bailey and the buffeting becomes non existent even behind big trucks.

If you elect to use the headset you will find the voices in your head to be much better than the speakers blasting you.With a pillion adv companion you will find the intercom very useful and the cb is very helpful communicating with the big trucks esp in the rain or to get local information not available on your gps. The cb is also very entertaining as many truckers have no clue you have "ears" as they say in cb lingo; making for some interesting conversations esp when they are talking about you or motorcycles.

When some one else makes a better touring motorcycle with floor boards I will ride that motorcycle, but until then it's the American tour pig.
  10. Cakeeater

Cakeeater Long timer

Oddometer:

Everything you said, #1. I'd say 80 percent of the bikes I've seen on the road on my two recent late season very cold Western trips have been Harleys. A few Wings. A tiny smattering of BMWs. But mostly big Hogs. Pirates or not, the fellas are out riding. :clap

By the way, nice bike OP!
    Cakeeater
  11. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you. That is an exceptional writeup, and I appreciate the information.
  12. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've owned both and the Batwing is nice, offers tunes that work, better weather protection than the Road King windshield. If I were going back to a faired bike tho' I'd go with the Road Glide, uglier than a mud fence but that fairing and bike really fit me...
  13. Low Down

Low Down ADV Misfit

Oddometer:
    Congrats EricD! I am very happy with my Geezer Glide too...

[​IMG]
  14. EricD10563

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I like the look without the Tour-Pac, the list keeps growing of things I want to do. Another gratuitous picture of the E-Glide.

[​IMG]
  15. Juan Loboe

Juan Loboe Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Couldn't resist the color, and wanted the bucket bars. Currently, it is peeled down with the tour pack removed and a backrest and Road Glide seat installed.
  16. scrannel

scrannel Scrannel

Oddometer:
    Had one and really didn't like it -- but they sure are pretty. Nice lookin' rides, guys.
  17. EricD10563

Oddometer:
    I like the colors too.

Thanks, I'm curious what didn't you like about it, I don't want to start a debate just curious about a point of view from someone that didn't like the bike. Hopefully people wont beat on you for giving your honest opinion.
  18. Ausfahrt

Ausfahrt Luftkopf

Oddometer:
    I sold my '04 Heritage last year after 8 years and 27k miles. I owned other bikes too, so the mileage would have been much higher if it was my only bike. I bought it off of the showroom floor and at the time I figured that I would own it til the day I died.

It looked and sounded great after a stage 1 upgrade but it was still low 'n slow and it had a habit of leaving bits of chrome on the asphalt every time I rounded a turn. The fact that Harley had been building bikes for over a century without realizing that they leaned when they turned confounded me.

That I stood 6'-5" tall didn't help either. Full size Harleys are considered big bikes but with seat heights that average 24-28 inches they just didn't fit me. It felt great on the showroom floor but was a little bit less than ideal on the road.

Harley bashing is not my intent here and my bike never let me down, was mechanically flawless and never let a single drop of oil hit my garage floor. My wife misses it more than I do and this pic is from the CL ad when I sold it:

[​IMG]
  19. Old Blue

Old Blue Shallow waterman

Oddometer:
    I'm loving my new Road King but I need to make my brain understand that I'm not on a dual-sport anymore. The big road-sofa does NOT have very much suspension travel!
  20. EricD10563

Oddometer:
    Aushfafrt nice looking bike I've never ridden a softail they have been described as a bike that you sit in compared to the tourers that you sit on. Ground clearence as not been an issue for me but both that I've owned have been 09 and newer, I've ridden the older tourers and I could touch down easily on them. They are slow no matter what you do to them compared to others, my friend had an RT and I rode her bike a bit what a difference in performance. I don't think your bashing you owned one and didn't like it, sounds like an honest informed opinion. Take a test ride on one of the new tourers you might be pleasantly surprised, power is still lacking though.