My New Chinese Big Ruckus clone thread...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by deezildennis, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    If there was diesel in the gas, you may foul that spark plug. Sounds like a good scooter. What Hyosung did you get?
  2. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:

It's been a few month maybe since the the bad smelly Diesel fuel I picked up. The Plug has been fine since I burned it off on the way home. I keep a spare with the bike just in case but It didn't seem to need it.

I bought a Hyosung GV650 Cruiser 2009 in the crate. I had to put a RR and a Ninja stator in it just like all the hyosungs but I love it. REAL Powerful for a 650 vtwin 70+ hp. Wicked quick. I've wanted one for a while after riding one in 2004 or so. I put a Gutted Ducati Diavel Muffler set on it. Sounds great!.

[​IMG]
    FJ Fun and simbaboy like this.
  3. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Been a few months. But heres the Update.

I came into a few health issues and had to give up riding everyday. I had a few friends come over and help me winterize all my bikes. All have been safely stored in the walkout basement since the end of October.

I have slowly started to regain strength and have been itching to get Anything out of the basement but the Wife has put the Kibosh on it. The old Fake reliable Big Ruckus clone was conveniently left nearest the door with the trickle charger on it ready to go!
  4. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Sorry to hear of your health issues but as long as you are on the upside it is all good.
    FJ Fun likes this.
  5. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your health problems. Nice to have friends to lend a hand when needed! Hope you feel better, and am able to ride again soon. Keep us informed.
  6. Brooktown Geezer

Brooktown Geezer scooter guy

Oddometer:
    Hope you are on the mend, and that you'll make a full recovery!
  7. Gigglingoth

Gigglingoth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to see that you were/are under the weather. I hope you are doing better :D
    So, an idiot at my workplace was in a hurry, backed into my bike, jumped out to set it back up, watched it as it fell again, put it on the center stand and took off. Thankfully security saw everything and tried to stop him. He did work there so they easily found out who it was. I was called out of my training session and told the news. I went to look at the bike. He hit it so hard he literarily broke the kickstand in half AFTER it lodged into the asphalt. Both foot boards were bent up and heavily scratched, the CDI broke loose, jammed the left brake, bent the left turn signal, cracked the metal housing where the air box connects and ruined the air box. Dumb luck that I was running it naked and had my saddle bags on...it actually kept the damage less than it could have been. Security actually had the nerve to ask if I wanted to involve the Police. Really?? It took a month and a half for his insurance company to come thru. I had it towed to Second City Scooters in Chicago. It was over $700 to repair damages from the accident. I had also told them to do a tune-up, adjust the valves and really go thru the bike and do whatever else it needed at my expense. They gave it a tune-up. Period. Nothing else I asked to have done was done. I will never go there again. It's over an hour away from us and I can't drive the bike there because it's mostly freeway/highway. We actually had it in the back of our Honda Element. Thankfully I'm short! The seat had to be all the way up and the back straight up, lol. But it fit!
    I do have a question: part of the reason I bought this bike was because of being able to move the seat forward and backward. It has never worked on mine. I looked under the seat and there's some crazy going on in there. Can anyone with a working seat post a picture of the mechanisms?
  8. Gigglingoth

Gigglingoth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BTW according to Second City the bike is being or has been discontinued. They had a hard time finding the body parts. They ended up giving me the foot boards from their display Astro
  9. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    I Guess I never got the reply notifications sorry guys. Thanks for the kind words.

I pulled the Big Fake Ruckus out of the Basement little over a week ago. I filled and fired her up to idle for a bit and had planned a little ride for the hell of it.. I went to check on a noise in my ac condenser unit on my patio and twisted the piss right out of my ankle on the concrete base supporting the unit. AAARRGH!!

Immediately started swelling so I knew I sprung it pretty good. Hobbled it back into the basement and literally had to crawl up the stairs. FFS!

Had to miss a bunch of work. But it saved my ass because I needed to get around back and forth to the dr's office. My Cage is a Manual and that was right out of the question. It hurt like a Mofo so I couldn't drive.

So I ended up hobbling down into the basement and using the Scooter the entire time I had a jacked up ankle.

I put over 100 miles on it riding back and forth to the dr's and physical therapy. Never had to put the foot down and saved my ankle from the evil dump truck clutch in my car.

Anyhow. Its out of storage and running great. I road a bit today on it and plan on riding it back and forth to work a lot since I am feeling better.

Probably change the oil and plug here shortly.

I'll try to get some pics of the seat mechanism if you still need it GGoth

DD
    Bar None and FJ Fun like this.
  10. popeface

popeface Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just read through everything in this thread... I applaud your tenacity and willingness to share every gory detail with us. :clap

I've gotta say, I seriously considered getting a Big Ruckus a while ago, as I love the styling and the "offroad" appeal. Nice to see there's a cheaper option; might be something for me to look into eventually.

Now, when are we going to see the car tires start popping up on the Rucklone? I love the name, by the way... :D
  11. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Not too sure how many people really care about the Updates on this bike But I told you I Would update as time progressed with the good and the bad.

The Good. It still runs really well and was put back into service as the Exhaust on my Big Bike is too loud to leave at 4am with.

The Bad. The Master Cyl for the rear brakes maybe going out. Super squishy at times. The Local Scooter shop where I had it sent to and PDI'd has one locally that is the same.

The Bad. The Speedometer has went Kaput again. It has lost Odometer readings and just says 4444444444444 and so forth. If you are following, this speedo has been replaced before by me since I Crushed the original one. I Got a replacement through SSR. This factory speedo looks to be the same aftermarket speedo that some guys use in custom applications. Hopefully it is just a internal battery or something. The Newer Rucklones utilize a analog setup and it seems to work better than this one. Might try figuring out how to get one of those to work on it if I can find one.

Other than that it still runs great. Be nice to get to ride it more often this summer and fall.
  12. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to read your updates as time goes on. Thanks!
  13. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    I haven't updated this in a while. The bike is still running great. I road it a lot this summer and fall since my I helix had some issues. We had a mild end of the year so since I got the helix going again I decided to blow the cobwebs out of it.

I put a cheap battery in the rucklone over the summer again and put a better battery maintainer on it. Really want to put a larger battery in it somehow. Maybe something to think about over the winter. Repacked the muffler over the summer as well. Used better packing this time around. All for now. Merry Christmas.
    MiniBike likes this.
  14. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    hows your dog?
  15. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Update. Bike has run well all spring & summer. Had a issue with some corrosion on a connector in the charging circuit.

Took me a bit to diagnose but I was able to pull the pins from the connection and clean then. I used a thick dab of dielectric grease in it to keep it from happening again.

Gave it a good coat of wax this weekend

Put only about 25 miles on it a day when I ride it. Use helix and big bike the other times. It's running pretty good. Way past time for a tune up but I've been busy with life. Maybe try to get to it this weekend.
  16. redhandmoto

redhandmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, this thread has been an inspiration. Hope to see some current pix soon.
  17. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love the looks of the Hyosung (with the stock exhaust, I loved that big round pipe, similar to what the Yamaha Warrior came with) but was afraid to buy one because I heard mostly bad things about them. I have 2 manual transmission 4 wheelers, a truck and a car. Driving around town, it isn't long before my left knee is killing me. I usually take the shortest route to the open road, where shifting is not required.
  18. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    I like the stock Hyosung GV650 can as well but didn't want to cut it up. I couldn't find a decent is d one that wasn't dented so I came up with the diavel cans. I think they came out great . Not too obnoxious but have a nice bark. I wasn't really worried too much about the reliability of it because after 2007 or so they had them squared away save for the regulator rectifier and stator. Mainly the r/r is the culprit. Just like my triumph did.

I had both of those before I even got it home. I purchased a extra year of full warranty after the first year but I never used it. The local Hyosung dealer is a actual brick and mortar shop and sell big brands as well so I wasn't worried about it that much. Seems to be able to get Hyosung air filters and oil filters pretty quickly for me. Just gas and oil changes. After riding the scoots around swinging a leg over it feels like straddling a missile. I still really like it and it's nice to ride longer and not have my knee jacked for a week. It's a little flashy but everyone seems to dig it once they see it up close. I added some adjustable levers to it last year. They are friggen great. Although.... Damn short fingers I guess.

The big rucklone still pretty much looks the same. Heavy coats of wax really stave off any corrosion. Lesson learned from my old Honda's :). I RE- polished the lip on the wheels last weekend and road it. Still no tune up yet but it doesn't really need one.
  19. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Still running for anyone that cares. Had a issue with carb at the first of April.
    Took it all apart and sprayed it out. Seemed to fix it. I assume the fuel preservative didn't work while it sat over winter. We have nasty gas here in the metro area and it doesn't take much for it to go bad.

Left the side plastics off again. Gives it a weird look I seem to like. No other issues save for some of the open tubes in the frame seem to have some surface rust on them.

I have a jeep frame I sand blasted and coated with chassis rust converter paint (por15) I may soak some rags with it and drag them through the frame.

Needs a good polishing as well.
    Bar None, Cat0020 and Culcune like this.
  20. Culcune

Culcune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SSR seems to have a good reputation (overall--you have to take the Chinese into account!). Their main line used to be pit bikes (they still have them) which many, many young riders beat to hell on youtube, yet I don't think I have seen one negative about them. Come to think of it, I don't think I have seen any Chinese pit bike with bad reviews by kids on youtube, so perhaps the Chinese should rethink their business strategy in motorsports and base all their manufacturing around pit bikes! They had a very good review on their Grom-like bike, the Razkull, and it even won a 4 way comparison with the Grom, the Kawasaki Z-125, and the K-Pipe in the article and video , when price and quality and fun were factored in. For well under the price of the competition, it was chosen as number 1 http://www.ssrmotorsports.com/store/street/razkull.php How many miles is she up to?