Calgarians that dualsport

Discussion in 'Canada' started by macuser, Feb 9, 2009.

1. where2next?

where2next? Map guy

Oddometer:
    Looks awesome. Where was this? Castle then into the Flathead basin?

2. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

Yup, for day 1. Started in Blairemore

Day 2 was in the Lizard range.

Sulpher Creek Pass is open other then some minor road washout. Big bike friendly.

Top of the world is not open yet. Few more weeks.
  3. Tropic-Of-Canada

Tropic-Of-Canada Guru of Shoe Goo

Oddometer:
    Wow, I gotta get out that way!!:ricky
  4. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have to get out to Victoria more often! I love the west coast. It really has been too long.

As for our riding, there is quite a bit, and VERY few people ride it.

On another note. Anybody doing any Montana Shipping Outlet runs?

I have some car parts (and likely motorcycle parts) I wouldn't mind ordering.
  5. Pine Sol

Pine Sol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hello,

just arrived back in town... hope everyone managed to stay dry

Aluminum Welding?

i am in need of a small triangle support bracket welded on, one side 3 inches, other side 2.5 inches.

i have phone a few fabrication shops, but they say maybe in two weeks..
    i was kinda hoping much sooner then that?

any suggestions? back yard ali welders around?

thank you
  6. Wesley J

Wesley J Hoser

Oddometer:
    I have a tig and would be happy to weld it. Tonight or tomorrow would work best.

Email me at wes at weshill dot com

Loving life
  7. can'o'kiwi

can'o'kiwi full metal jock-itch

Oddometer:
    firstly i hope everyone stayed dry and safe and didn't lose anything too valuable

secondly i am looking for people to ride with, two of my buddies sold out, one even sold his moto to buy a new couch. hes definitely off the the christmas card list :deal

based in canmore work 2 weeks on 2 off, ride a drz. prefer offroad.

i have a couple of off road routes i am investigating one loop around elkford.
    and elkford to harrison lake all offroad.

it would be good to connect with some like minded riders.

colin
  8. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sadly Elkford is not accessible from the 40...

It would be a great ride. Going to park boundary is a nice ride.

Lots of stuff to explore, but my knowledge stops around Nelson. My time away from work doesn't allow further trips, and my holiday time off work I go further out =)

Let us know what you find!

If you want any help that you think I can provide let me know. I like searching out those amazing rides.
  9. can'o'kiwi

Oddometer:
    atlas staging - elkford - canal flats - elkford - atlas
  10. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

I've only heard Atlas from my sledding days. Not entirely sure where it is (but have likely been there through there in the summer)

How are you getting from Elkford to Canal Flats?
  11. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Crossing Creek (Koko Claims) across to Bull River FSR and up to Whiteswan FSR is a great ride to connect Elkford with Canal Flats. Just use lots of loctite on the bike before the climb on crossing creek...
  12. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

I've been over that plenty of times. I'm not entirely sure it's open yet. I haven't confirmed because we ran short on time a few weeks ago.

I've heard there are other passes, but they seem to be hush hush. I was hoping he'd fill me in.
  13. morerpmfred

morerpmfred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lots of fsr washed out right now from flooding. Grey creek pass thread here has lots of current info.
  14. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info. I forgot out about that thread. I might be rolling over it this weekend if I go dual sporting. I should look into that!

I'll let my buddies know either way because they are going.
  15. morerpmfred

morerpmfred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And on the alberta side racehorse, oldman , dutch creek are all open. Ftr from coleman north to livingstone falls is open and by friday north to the hump should be open.
    Ugly washouts on 532 or the hump so who knows when that is open.
    517 or the gap road is open as well.
  16. can'o'kiwi

Oddometer:
    to be honest i couldnt tell you which passes the route takes. its 485km all off road with minimal main roads. it passes through line creek mine.

i have only briefly browsed the track and info my buddy sent me

busy with clean up here in canmore and exshaw.

there is also an offroad track from elkford to harrison lake (nth of chilliwack) i would like to investigate

shibby, that plated xrr, i was under the impression those rigs couldnt be plated in AB??
  17. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Technically, to some degree, they can't. That being said I know three others riding them here. Wes on here also had one till some wanker stole it.

Neither can most other dual sported dirt bikes except 07+ KTM's, 2011 Husaberg 570, and some other odds and ends.

I imagine your trip is taking you across Creek Crossing. It's a great ride, but does have a long hill to get up. Lots and lots of rocks with constant grade for probably a km.

This past weekend we did some more stuff south of Blairmore over the Castle area. I did see some other trials I'd like to explore, but I feel myself needing to push further out to see new things. I'd like to poke around Revy a lot, as well as Golden. I have never been into Chatter Creek but I'd love to explore that area.

I think my buddies are heading out this weekend. Not sure I can join them because of my dog, but we'll see.
  18. can'o'kiwi

Oddometer:
    i lived in golden for 4 1/2 yrs some good riding for sure

i heard some guy in blackfoot had his bike taken by the police because he didnt have DOT approved rims
  19. Wesley J

Wesley J Hoser

Oddometer:
    A buddy just plated his cfr450x. Went down to the registry and asked for a plate. They gave him one. When I went to get a plate for 300xcw they said "this is a street bike right?" I said no because I don't see any value in a street legal 300. Well, no reasons that include keeping my license....

Loving life
  20. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

They have a loop hole in Oregon or Washington where you can dual sport your 2-stroke.. =) I have a 250XC and would LOVE to rip to work on it.

Nothing is DOT on my bike. Never been asked or inspected. Then again I try not to be too much of an idiot till I hit the gravel roads.

I imagine it would be a sticky conversation if I was inspected. That being said I do have all the lights, etc. No speedo or ODO though. I have a GPS for that =)

I've also been asked if my dirt bikes are street legal. The thing is that both the registration office AND insurance companies say it's up to the end user to make sure the vehicle is road legal.

Thing that kills me is how a frame stated as offroad use only is any different then one that's approved for road use? Does that bike instantly become unsafe once it rides onto some pavement?