2nd Gen. Ducati Multistrada (2013 and newer)

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Salvo, Sep 22, 2012.

1. duckman44

duckman44 Living the dream!

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I finaly got to ride my Multi today more than a month after gettin the fork replaced. No clunk! :clapI did everything I could think of to get it to clunk and could not. I guess I did not see any real difference in the action of the supspension as others did but that is OK. I always thought it worked fine minus the bang.

Here is the issue I had today.
    I had to wait so long to ride the Multi after the fork leg replacement because I was unable to get the bike for an inspection sticker. The old leg had the sticker on it and was sent back to Ducati. Anyone from NY will tell you that the Troopers have eagle eyes for inspection stickers and it is not wise to ride without one.
    Anyway, when I first took off today, something very strange happened.:eek1 Just as I would fully release the clutch on takeoff, the power would dissapear and fell flat on it's face. I tried all 4 modes and all were the same. I could not believe it.
    Once under way, the power seemed fine and the bike ran well. Only on starting out from a stop would it feel super sluggish.
    I was ready to call the dealer when I thought about what had changed from last time I rode it. Obviously the fork and accelerometer had been changed but how could that make a differnece, right?
    The one thing I had done was to replace the brake and clutch levers with adjustable ones . These were not good ones as I cheaped out and purchased E-Bay bargain levers. Don't know why i did that?
    Anyway, I changed back to the OEM levers and the sluggish issue went away. Seems to have something to do with the pin that contacts the micro switch on the clutch lever. Not sure how this works but it must control the throttle response somehow. I switched back and forth several times to make sure that was truly the issue. It was! The pin is in a different place and releases the micro switch much later in the travel than the cheap levers did. I don't see any adjustment to the switch.

I guess my question to you all is who has replaced the levers on thier Multi and what brand do you use. If anybody can shed a little light on this or has had a similar issue, please let me know.
  2. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Isn't the pin supposed to be removed from the OEM lever and replaced on the aftermarket one?
  3. duckman44

Oddometer:
    The new lever has the pin in it.
    Looks the same as the OEM.
    I am going to try the set of CRG levers from my 1098 today.
    CRG lists the same number for fitment.
    I'm sure that this will turn out that I am just crazy or stupid but either way,I need to know.:fpalm
  4. oalvarez

Oddometer:
    Let us know too....hope it works out.
  5. everetto

everetto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When it is time to put road tires on my Pikes Peak in place of the Scorpions, what tire do you guys like - maybe Pirelli Angel GTs?
  6. duckman44

Oddometer:
    My 2013 is on it's 2nd set of Angel GT's. I love them.
    Ride nice, grip great in the wet and wear like iron.

I even put a set on my KTM 625 SMC.
  7. Andreas6670

Andreas6670 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since I never used it off-road, I had put Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 's on my first Multi 1200S (2010 model) and I got unbelievable grip (at the expense of durability). Depends on the use, if you want to travel 2-up in touring mode, put the Angel GTs, if you want to attack mountain roads and put your knees down, you can put any superbike tire you like
  8. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
    I'm running Pilot Road 3's and I'm pretty happy with them.
  9. everetto

everetto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gotta say I will probably be looking to maximize grip even if it means sacrificing longevity. Maybe some Pirelli Diablo Super Corsa.......
  10. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to add my 2c about the fork clunk.

I don't get it in Sport mode, but it's very obvious in Touring and Urban (only went into urban to test the forks)

The dealer won't do a thing until Ducati acknowledge the problem. I have my complaint on record in case it causes any damge long-term.

On another note, I'm feeling quite a lot more vibration now. I had a bottle of cleaner unscrew itself in the top box the other day, and yesterday the barrel of the top-box lock fell out somewhere!
  11. vellies

vellies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want to install the full termi pipe on my 2013. Does anyone know where i can find good installation instructions. Not really keen to pay the dealer $400 for the job, but looks like there are a few tricky bits like the removal of some valve controller. I love doing work myself, but i am limited in technical knowledge, but happy to work through it with some good instructions. Would appreciate your help.
  12. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    There's also the ECU update. Not sure if that can be done without the dealer's black box.
  13. oalvarez

Oddometer:
    Vellies, you might try looking/searching over at Ducati.MS.
  14. duckman44

Oddometer:
  15. vellies

vellies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks, found some useful info. Today I ordered the full system, should have it in a week or so (upside is I am getting it at a reasonable price, downside is I have to wait for it to come from the east coast like everything else). Will be fitting it myself as the dealers wanted between $400 and $500 to fit.

Very exited, I have been dreaming about a new exhaust system since I got the bike. Should finally sound like a ducati :):)
  16. merlin

merlin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just put the full system on my 13'. There are a few tricks, first you'll need to know about the "Up-Map" and How to install in and what to plug it in too.(it can be installed without the aid of a dealer) removing the stock exhaust valve cable is the other pain in the ass. There is a good write up with pictures in the Ducati.ms forum. It's not as bad as you'd think... It took me about 15 minutes to remove the cable and pulley (after I read the post on the ducati forum.
    I can't get the PDF file of the instructions that I got from a friend that works at Ducati to upload... I'll work on it
  17. BubbaMc

BubbaMc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When you say a reasonable price, how reasonable are we talking?
  18. PK01

PK01 R1250GS

Oddometer:
    Mate, I've heard the header studs have a habit of breaking....maybe give them a soaking in WD40 for 24hrs before you try to undo them.
  19. vellies

vellies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would be very handy thanks, will PM you my email address and would be grateful if you could share those.
  20. vellies

vellies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got it for $2,295, which is still a lot of money, but a hell of a lot less than the $3,000 they wanted when I checked last year. That is for parts only, installation is a $400 to $500 in addition to that.

And before everyones says they can get it cheaper, Perth is the "get screwed" capital of the world, we pay through the ass for everything.