2 650's, 2 retires, 2 months on the TAT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by augiedog, Apr 27, 2014.

1. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    We got an early start today and are currently holed up in Jackson Hole doing the tourist thing. We have covered 1100 miles the last 3 days.Our plan is to drop south accross the southern rockys and back accross Oklohoma. We are going to watch the weather before we commit to anything.
  2. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Strongly suggest you ride 26 SW out of Jackson to ID. It's only about 40 miles or so. I found it by accident, and it was one of the prettiest roads. I rode it back to Jackson, and rode the road a third time on my way to SLC, UT.

NW corner of CO has a lot of barren desolate land, and not much else. They found oil in the area, and we all know how pretty oil land is. Just something to keep in mind.
  3. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
  4. dirt between my toes

dirt between my toes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live just north of tulsa if you need a place to crash and get a hot shower !! shoot me a P.M. ride safe:clap
  5. ShiftHead

ShiftHead the f is silent.

Oddometer:
    Lookin good fellas!
  6. Utah Bones

Utah Bones Gas X ready!

Oddometer:
    Great job guy's!
  7. Molonlabemike

Molonlabemike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not bad for a couple of old guys :rofl

I kid I kid, I could do it but would need longer and I am much younger. Thanks for the RR guys, looking forward to see more :freaky
  8. OBryan

OBryan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Met Augie and Al today in Willow Springs Mo. Sounds like they have had a blast.. Cool dudes.. Hope they enjoy the route out of willow My bud suggested since they wanted to stay off 4 lanes.. Give er heck guys and rubber side down..
  9. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion on the route. It was fantastic. We camped on rt 160 last nite in a canoeing camp. Had s great time, it we nice to meet both of you.
  10. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    We left Oxford Kansas at 800. The park we stayed
    in was nice. Was like camping on a golf course green. There was a little resturant right at the entrance that had the best omelets either of us had ever had. Al had a spanish and I had a western. We rode som really nice paved back roads thru Kansas and Missouri today, lots of curves and rolling hills. Tonight we are camped on a large whitewater river in the northern Ozark mountians in the Mark Twain forest. We covered 400 miles today. We are about 780 miles from home.
  11. AdvNuma

AdvNuma Long Rider

Oddometer:
    Hope that you both make it home in time for Thursday night's Hawthorne's Pizza get together. I know that everybody wants to hear -- live and in person -- more about your adventures.

Ride safe, fellows! See you soon.

Numa
  12. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Augie,
    We just started the TAT in TN this week and ran into an old guy with a pony tail riding a yellow ATV. It was at the largest stream crossing. He mentioned that two guys recently passed through. Did you meet him?
  13. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Yes we did. he was in his truck with his girlfriend when we met him in mid may, around the 18th. He helped us to reroute around one of the deep, swift water crossings. Had the ATV in the back of the truck.He was a nice dude. This is a picture of his girlfriend showing us how deep and swift the river was.
  14. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    We got home around seven pm wednesday 5- 17. We rode all secondary backroads from Bend Oregon to Ashville NC. We left Bend on tuesday morning after installing 705 dualsport Shinko's on both bikes and regearing for the street. with the new tires and gearing we could run about 65mph. Our plan was to try and average about 3 to 350 miles per day doing all 2 lane backroads. I was going to plot a route each evening as we traveled. The plan went very well and we were able to make the trip from Bend to NC in 8 days. Although things went well I was a very tough haul. 10 to 12 hours a day on a 650 for 8 days is tough under any conditions. We had some issues with sandstorms and high winds accross Colorade and Kansas and as we traveled east we began to have a lot of hot days. It became difficult to sleep at nite. I tried to stay hydrated as much as possible, but had problems with my face and hands drying out and cracking, especially my lips and finger tips. Allen and I both were pretty worn out for several days. We have talked several times over the last few days about our adventure and I will post up a full report over the next several weeks of what we would do diffrent, what we would change, and our opinions of the overall trip. Thanks to everyone who followed along and hope the upcoming review will be of some help to anyone who is planning such a trip.
  15. crag antler

crag antler In the woods putting around

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along guys. That was awesome:freaky
    I hope to try something like that someday. Very impressive.
  16. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Impressive!

Good RR
  17. Boxall

Boxall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for taking the time to write about your trip. It is beyond interesting, when I get an email that this thread has been updated and IMMEDIATELY jump on it.

You guys are incredible!:clap
  18. ktmissouri

ktmissouri Racer turned Rider

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed the ride report. Thanks for taking the time. I am looking forward to the overview.
  19. wfopete

wfopete Suffer Fools; Gladly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on a great ride!

20. LumpyOne

LumpyOne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrat's on a safe return home and thanks for sharing. Looking forward to your review of the entire trip.