Lock up your bike!!

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by RFVC600R, Dec 29, 2012.

1. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope this is the right place.... Just a reminder, we all need them now and again.

I bought a bike lock for my motorcycle yesterday. I locked it up when I got home from work about 3:30AM. When I was going out to pick up some milk this morning, at about 11:30am, I noticed strange foot prints by my XL600. I almost didn't buy the lock.:puke1 There is no reason for anyone's foot prints to be there.

[​IMG]

When I was taking pictures, a San Bernadino County sheriff stopped and said I look suspicious and asked why are you taking pictures? I explained it is my bike and the situation. He then informed me that dual sports and dirt bikes are the most stolen type of vehicle in the area:eek1. and that thieves are busting locks and chains to get them

[​IMG]

I park my bike close the meter guard and lock the handlebars facing the wall. I am going to get a heavy duty chain and a fatty master lock today.

Please lock up your bike(s) if you don't have a garage for storage. I don't even have a fence. I don't want to hear about an inmate's bike getting stolen when it could of been prevented. We love our motorcycles.

Any lock can be broken. it is a matter of time and effort. You have to present to the criminal it is not worth the work and risk.

Ride on!
  2. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    timing, is everything!
  3. thomas.tc.young

thomas.tc.young Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good man, I learned my lesson when my xr250 was stolen. I even have the guys on video doing it but it's still gone. :cry

Now when in questionable neighborhoods I lock up the klr
  4. D R

D R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buy a cover as well. It doesn't have to be an expensive cover, just something to help take away the visual temptation. If they can't tell what it is from the street, they just might keep going and not look any further at yours.
  5. car94

car94 What's this Box for?

Oddometer:
    That setup is exactly what I had on my ATV's when they were stolen. The kryptonite cable can be cut easily by bolt cutters. Now when leave my stuff exposed, I use disc brake locks a cable lock and sometimes I will put an additional hoop lock through the rear wheel. The only way it can be moved is if someone picks the whole thing up!.
  6. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I was happy to open this thread and see your bike did NOT get stolen. Theives can all burn in the hottest part of hell for eternity. :pissed
  7. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who would steal something with a drum brake? :lol3
  8. SammyTheSlider

SammyTheSlider You have insufficient privileges to reply here

Oddometer:
    I keep my bike covered and locked.... going to get it insured with my FASFA money in January....insurance is probably the best investment when it comes to "security"...lol.
  9. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a 2x4 and put some 8 inch nails through it and when I'm doing locking my bike, I bury the piece wood and leave the nails sticking out. I placed it along the side you would mount it from.

:D am I evil? hope he don't come back or has a tetanus shot
  10. D R

D R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might want to reconsider the 2x4 with nails. Speaking from an LEO background, courts have tended to frown on home-made booby traps, especially if they injure some child who may have just been curious for a closer look at your motorcycle.

Even if you "nail" (pun intended) the perpetrator, you might find yourself liable.
  11. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah dumb idea, I bent all the nails down and threw it away. :ear
  12. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you'd hate to get sued by the bike thief.

I used to have a shaped charge under the seat... :eek1

--Bill
  13. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    :lol3

the cost of constantly putting new seats on the bike changed your mind?
  14. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't remember the brand now, but I have a disk lock that is more of a pin type than a padlock. No room for boltcutters. Either way though if they want it bad enough they're getting it.

I carry theft insurance on everything but my zx-14, lock everything as best I can, and hope for the best. Too expensive on that bike.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.
  15. Aussie Steve

Aussie Steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking at your lock in the photo.

Cables such as you have can be cut with cable cutters quickly and quietly. The U lock you have cant.

U locks can be quickly and quietly broken with a pair of levers. The cable cant.

Adding a padlock to the cable and using both means the thieves have to carry two types of tools which greatly lowers the chances of it being stolen.
  16. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only bike I ever had stolen was a chinese 250 dual sport. Parked a block away from the white house and next to a metro station in a row of bikes and right next to a harley. Cameras everywhere. DCMPD told me it was basically never going to be recovered and unless someone was killed, there would be no request for any video.

Oh yeah, they cut my cable lock in front of plenty of people. So, I don't leave my bikes where they could be stolen.

Move to a better neighborhood and things will get better!
  17. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Is there any realistic reason you can't wheel the thing through the front door and park it inside? Are you in an apartment on the second/higher floor?
  18. AB13

AB13 Ridge Runner

Oddometer:
    You will have a hard time stoping them from stealing it if they really want it but get yourself one of the tracking products like riders eye and then you can track it down and get it back and maybe have a little fun doing so! :lol3
  19. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few years ago, when Harley's were in big demand, we pulled into an underground hotel parking area in Daytona during bike week. The police had just left and the owner of the stolen Harley was just standing there. We asked what happened and he told us his bike was just stolen and it had a locking cable on the wheels. The police to him the thieves M/O was to have a rider ride into the the under ground garage and wait until no one was around, then ride out. That was the signal for a van and four guys with two pipes to drive in, jump out, and put the pipes through the wheels, lift it in the van and leave. Takes about 30 seconds.

Lots of bikes were stolen that year.
  20. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who would want a Harley ?