Here we go again... or get out your wallet

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by anonny, Sep 16, 2009.

1. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Thanks..... post 139 (page 10) of this thread shows my 74 SF Laverda that I bought new and restored and dressed up like a SFC 6 years ago, it's a daily fair weather rider.

I couldn't let the crappy photo of the speedo slide... got my ignition sorted out and some headway with the LED signals. I have to keep concentrating on the little stuff left before I tackle the engine other wise the little stuff may never get done.

[​IMG]
  2. anonny

Oddometer:
    I noticed the front brake reservoir was lower than the cylinder because the GSXR had clipons, plus I didn't like the rubber hose so I had to remount the reservoir and get some stainless braided line.

[​IMG]

May as well do the rear at the same time.

[​IMG]
  3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
    Cool!
  4. anonny

Oddometer:
    Have been putting hours into the build but it's sooo painfully slow, take for instance the new chain guide for the swingarm.... swinger and linkages had to come off the frame and the new piece modified to fit then reassemble, torque.... well you got the idea.

[​IMG]

Speedo magnet and sensor in place after trying 3 different spots (read making brackets for the garbage can)

[​IMG]

Yesterday I decided to fill the rear brake reservoir and bleed rear brakes but it leaked out the master cylinder and now I am shopping for a rebuild kit. Sheesh
  5. G2mk3

G2mk3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain, the brakes on my project virago have been kicking me and calling me nancy. Don't worry tho, you'll forget all about this stuff when your killing all the mosquitos in town :wink:
  6. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep at it, Bake. I'm still a little amazed by what you're trying to accomplish.

:thumb
  7. anonny

Oddometer:
    Lornce, what do you mean "trying" this is gonna happen!

Was just back in your neighborhood but didn't have time for much, maybe if I go back in the fall we can get together and talk airheads
  8. azcycle

azcycle Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Subscribed... great thread. Looking forward to seeing the final build and hear her purr.

By the way, I really like that Acewell gauge. The stock gauges on my 81 r65 are shot and I'm looking for alternatives. I was considering the Trailtech stuff, but I like the simplicity of the Acewell.

One question, though.... how did you mount it? Their website isn't very helpful in the mounting/bracket situation.
  9. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep me posted. It'd be good to finally meet up.

I'm still game to ride your S2 to BC. :evil

:thumb
  10. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Have read the whole thread so far and loving it so far. This is some really nice work, on an old bike that I like. What I most admire is that you are doing it the old fashioned way - elbow grease and ingenuity, rather than just buying bolt on stuff and paying other people to do most of the real work.

I'm subscribed and eagerly awaiting the next installment. :thumb
  11. anonny

Oddometer:
    The first pic on post #199 (page 14) that shows the mounting, everything black is theirs, from there back is mine. It comes with a bracket but a guy could make something different if need be, I wouldn't worry about it until I had it in my hands if I were you.
  12. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    It looks so beautiful so far, and I had forgotten what you started with

[​IMG]
  13. Brad Felmey

Brad Felmey Long timer

Oddometer:
    :huh

:thwak

This has been hugely motivational for me. I have just discovered this thread and read the whole thing in one sitting with time added to follow the links to Eastwood, etc.

I'm thinkin' powder coating is in my future.

Fantastic build! I'm subscribed and looking forward to more. :clap :thumb :tb
  14. roasterx

roasterx Leatherman Jedi

Oddometer:
    I'm with you Brad. Keep up the amazing work. I am enviously watching this thread.

Eager for more.

Roasterx
  15. RAGBrian

RAGBrian jonesing for a ride

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! So far, a great post! Makes me wish that I never got rid of my 500H1 back in 1981....why didn't I keep it:baldy It ran, too. Would be worth a lot o' money now....cuz it costs a lot o' money to fix them up!

Seem to recall that back then the mailing address for the Kawa triple owners club was located somewhere in Camarillo, CA.
  16. Moke

Moke Just Some Asshole

Oddometer:
  17. anonny

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words folks, it can be a motivator through the doldrums.

I had to devise a bar riser so this seemed like the simplest solution, a chunk of aluminum turned down, drilled and powder coated.

[​IMG]

in place

[​IMG]

Also needed something for my seat to latch into, more aluminum / powder coat.

[​IMG]

and again in place

[​IMG]

My camera sure seems to pick up the lint and finger prints!

Ran into a couple hurdles... first with the higher bars... now the brake lines are to short, gimme all the links you got for SS braided brake lines lads

[​IMG]

And a caliper mount hole is striped (m10 X 1.25) so I need a helicoil but I don't want to pay $60 to repair 1 hole (cause I need the dedicated helicoil tap and install tool)

SO.....
    anyone out there have the set up they would lend me to make this repair? I will pay shipping both ways an no unfortunately there is no way around this one.
  18. G2mk3

G2mk3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered the front lines for my custom brakes on my xv from earls.co.uk - At first I ordered them through summit racing but they kept pushing back the date THEY would receive them. Then I realized the earls site has a nice brake line builder in the store so you can spec out what color/length/fitting1&2. They shipped out quick but shipping from the uk took a while (seemed like a year considering at that point it was about a month since I had first tried to order lines through summit).
  19. chazzer

chazzer n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, forgive me if I'm being daft here but in 1 of photo's showing your bar raisers, it doesn't look like your bars are central. Maybe if you nudged them over that would mean your brake lines would fit? Still loving the project and seeing it all come together. :D
  20. anonny

Oddometer:

No the line thats shows short is routed across the tire just to get the shot.