2014+ DL1000 Vstrom

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by The Game, Sep 11, 2012.

1. The Game

The Game Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please do not hold me to this and forgive me if this has already been posted (I looked and didn't see anything), but supposedly Suzuki is coming out with a new V-Strom 1000 with new styling (and who knows what else is new) for 2013. This is the photo I've kept finding online and is all I can find, so I've come here to ask if anyone else knows anymore than I do or can find anymore information.

http://www.newbikesinfo.com/new-foresight-2013-suzuki-dl-1000-v-strom/

That is the prettiest shade of blue I've ever seen and it is a beautiful looking bike, not to mention it say's there will be a adventure package with engine guards and panniers for under 13,000 euros (correct me if I'm wrong, but 1 euro is almost 1 dollar, right?). I've already been extremely impressed by the newest V-Strom 650, as has everyone else and it is unimaginably comfortable. If this really is coming to pass in the next 6 months I will definitely pick one up.

So, anyone else have anymore information, ideas or thoughts?
  2. Dust_

Dust_ Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer:
    That is a so badly photoshoped versys 1000 with a vstrom 650 that I won't even bother to believe it. Though I'd like to see one in the future! :evil
  3. The Game

The Game Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, so it's a photo shop? Well maybe it will look similar, but it seems the news article and news about the bike is true, or so I hope? Anyone know? Maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see... :cry
  4. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    The article uses words like "could" & "should". Sounds like it's just their idea of what they think Suzuki "should" do.

It would be nice to have more choices in this market.
  5. MillCreek

MillCreek ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer:
    Well, we can all imagine many things.
  6. The Game

The Game Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for getting your hopes up everyone :cry

It would be nice to have an actually decent, full sized, fully equipped adventure bike in the sub $15k range... Are there any others being speculated soon to come? I'm hoping that maybe with the arrival of the R1250GS the R1200GS price will go down a bit to be more competitive? Because I know they said they'll be selling both at the same time.

I really do like the little V-Strom 650 Adventure, but haven't seen a matching top box and am not sure how well it would do on cross country interstates with a guy like me (6'0" 180 pounds) on it. :shog
  7. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Out

Oddometer:
    :huh

My old 650 hauled me all over the southeast and some of the Great Plains for 40k miles. I ranged from 205-240lb during that time. It even carried me and the wife on a couple of weekend trips. I think you'll be fine at 180lb...

I'm not saying there aren't lots of viable reasons to go with something bigger (obviously, I did...). Just that going cross country on the interstates shouldn't be the reason:deal.

EDIT: I see you're currently on a ZX-10... A 650 Strom will feel like it's going backwards compared to that.
    davyjones likes this.
  8. The Game

The Game Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I will admit, I have ridden fast, on some famous twisties and tracks but I'm one of those guys who'll admit that that's not all the fun in riding. I'm not always trying to see how fast I can go and most of the time I like to just relax and enjoy the ride. I just like the power to get up to traffic speed easily, pass things when needed, etc. I was GOING to get the V-Strom 650, the new one in white. I absolutely LOVE the white one, but we don't get it in the USA in white for some reason...
    davyjones likes this.
  9. jeeves

jeeves don't ask...

Oddometer:
    Here is an interesting image that started circulating the net.
    On this picture it still has two pipes

[​IMG]
  10. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice Photoshop-works... I bet no-one outside the factory once again has a clue though :lol3

On the other hand, it would not surprise me, if they would actually come up with a revised version of the DL1000, with ABS and other modern improvements.

The biggest problem is probably the engine, how to make it fit the newest upcoming emission norms, and do it in a way, that won´t totally spoil its characteristics. It´ll need to run very lean at low revs, and that is a problem on a large displacement V-twin. Even the existing version has this problem, although it only complies with the Euro-2 norm. The current Euro-3 is much harder to fulfill (and if they are to design an engine now, they´ll actually need to target it for Euro-4, which is again much harder).

So I believe they would in fact have to design a new engine from scratch, because the current one just won´t fill the requirements. If you´d tune it to comply with the new norms, nobody would want to ride the thing in the city at least, it would not run nicely.

I do hope they´ll make it some day. A more modern DL1000 with improved fuel economy, ABS, and competitive pricing could surely become very popular.
  11. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmm

Let's see.. "Adventure bikes".

Boxer - Done.
    L Twin - Done
    Potato twin - Done
    Cross frame twin - Done
    270 Deg parallel twin - Done
    180 Deg parallel twin - Done
    Triple - Done
    V4 - Done
    IL4 - Done.

Looks like Suzuki is left with either a 1000-1200cc single, a Boxer 4, a Boxer Six, IL6 or a V10 or V12 or a Radial.

Come on Suzuki - Shake em up a bit...Go for the V12.:freaky

This guys already done most of the work for you...:lol3

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OEe6c3KIUB4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. Glenngineer

Glenngineer Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer:

It has two pipes because almost the entire image has been mirrored.

There is no new DL1K for 2013. Suzuki teased the new 650; they'd market the 1000 even harder.
  13. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    1 Euro is $1.29 US today - so 13,000 euros is about $16,750 US.
  14. Chuck in Indiana

Chuck in Indiana Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This subject has frequently been discussed. The 650 Strom will do the long cross country trips without problem. I was out in western MT last year at the AdvRider Rally in Darby. I'm 200# in my riding gear and I carry 80-100# of gear when I'm on the road.

My bike is now for sale if you're looking for a 650 that is very well set up and can do what you say you want to do. Check it out in the For Sale area, probably about Page 8 or 10 by now. It'll be the best $6K you ever spent.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    indeed. my wife and I plus our camping gear rode all around the west up at elevation (ie less power) on gen 1 650 with no issues.
    davyjones likes this.
  16. IB69

IB69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the latest "Motoplus" magazine ( this is the dutch version of german Motorrad magzaine) thre is an interview with the Suzuki boss Sadayuki Inobe, whre he says " We are coming very soon with a new Suzuki interpretation of the All-Road thema, which will be different than the competition"
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    just looking at those passenger foot peg mounts. those look like the cheaper steel ones found on the 650 vrs the nicer alum ones the 1000 has. sure is a different USD front end w/ ADV tires not Versys 1000 photochop. it's an intriguing angle if it's a true leak as cast vrs spoked wheel is still hidden.

if suzuki comes through with better suspension and tubeless spoked wheels they would probably still be lower priced (like using steel foot peg mounts to watch costs) and could create one hell of a buzz in the adv market. 1000cc twin could be the goldilocks engine size for many as other adv bikes keep creeping up in engine size. the other pics still show cast wheels however. http://www.vstrom.altervista.org/

18. K0m4

K0m4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They'd do well to mimic the upgrades of new 650 from what I hear about it to the extent possible, and make it tough - Super Tenere tough is exaggerated if one wants to keep costs down, but striving towards it. In the same vein, paying plenty of attention to weight distribution would pay off I think. I'd also be for having a large front. A 1k twin, even if new, would feel familiar to all those having known stroms for a long time, and would have enough grunt. The others are already doing 1200 in various configurations, and while I like displacement, there's also a weight penalty which always is pointed out when those bikes are discussed. 1k is a perfect engine size.

Omg... please make it now! I already want one!
  19. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting stuff. They do need one - as well as a GSXR 125. I still wonder if they'll go multi cylinder like the Versys 1000..
  20. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey why not use that old oil/air cooled lump? After they put it into God knows how many different bikes with how many different bore and stroke sizes and it's still a rock'n motor. :D