Beginner dirt roads/trails in Kern County, CA

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Epy, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Epy

Epy Hen-teaser

Oddometer:
    Hello, I recently bought a CRF250L to get into off-road riding. This Sunday I took it upon myself to try it out in the dirt on Poso Flat Rd. just north of Bakersfield which was entirely too steep and twisty for a dirt newbie like myself. I noticed there are quite a few people here from around the Bakersfield/Kern County area and was wondering if someone could suggest something a little less challenging. I don't want a flat flat dirt road obviously, but something that I can gain some confidence on. Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I'm not familiar with areas as far south as you, but I do know of some nearby.

To your north, you could check out the Star Lakes, Big Sandy/Little Sandy, and Dinky Creek areas. There are tons of forest 4x4 roads to explore through some of the best forest in California, and you can camp there. These are all in the hills above Fresno.

To your west, you could go play on Oceano Dunes (Pismo Beach). A paddle tire would be ideal, but you can certainly travel the dunes on the stock tire. Riding a motorcycle on the sand is kind of hard work, but crashing is painless (and doesn't damage the bike). You will, however, need a whip antennae with an orange flag. There are shops in Pismo that sell them cheap. You can camp on the beach too.
  3. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer: