Rec rego on imported USA thumper

Discussion in 'Australia' started by regie308, May 18, 2011.

1. regie308

regie308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    G'day folks

Just a quick question: I might have an oppotunity to buy a 450thumper and shove it in a container that's bringing back other goodies :evil from the USA. Is it an easyier process to "REC REG" than full rego? or is it just as painfull ? :ear

cheers :1drink
  2. thecanoeguy

thecanoeguy just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer:
    i think this has been through quite a few times ,if it is declared you might get it seized by customs ,thatsi f you try to hide in the shipping comtainer ,you wont get an import permit ,full stop unless you have owned or used it for more than 12 months continuosly ,bring it in pieces if you can ,but it cant have the wheels forks or handle bars in the same shipment ,you wont get it registered here at all ,unless you swap out frames with an aussie frame ,how do i know ,been there done that
    look in the government web page under vehicle imports ,they are a pack of pricks to put it nicely
  3. regie308

regie308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate... i won't bother with it then.. cheers
    by the way.. loved your ride report and i'm also from up your way "wang"
  4. Hayesy

Hayesy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look up the Vic Roads web site and search for Recreation Registration for the requriements. You do not need ADR's or road worthy for rec reg. give them a call for what they need.

Stuff I remember for them you need, but it's alllisted on the Vic Roads site.
    right hand mirror
    headlight
    tail light
    cannot us a total loss electric system
    proof of ownership
    have to do an identity check on the bike at rego time (unless swapping from full reg to rec reg)
    VIN and engine numbers

Getting it into the country will be harder.
  5. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Also need a "sound-making device" which may not be a pair of lungs shouting "geddouddapluckingwayyoubloodyidiot".

If the bike's an especially good deal, it might be worth bringing it in to strip & sell off the parts.
  6. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
  7. ADV8

ADV8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone got experience in that and what is involved.
    Companies that pick up and transport motorcycles.
    Shipping companies or freight forwarders in the USA that ship to Australia.
    Any help appreciated.
  8. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    I think the Australian Govt. may be your biggest hurdle - google is your best friend in that regard.
  9. ADV8

ADV8 Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. mudmaps

mudmaps Aussie World Traveller

Oddometer:
    We've used Expediters for tranporting hot air balloons. Very good and quite cheap.
  11. neilaction

neilaction Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer:
    I bought a bike once that had been imported from the states and getting it registered was the challenge. :deal
    It had no compliance plate of course which meant getting a compliance plate exemption form before it could be registered here in WA. :deal It wasn't a huge issue just had to do the obvious stuff and it passed. But that was a long time ago and I suspect that it might be harder getting the exemption form these days. I didn't have to worry about noise or pollution issues etc.
  12. Portly

Portly Plodder

Oddometer:
    One of the moderators on old bull trailriders, his name is Mick, regularly imports used MX bikes from Japan.
    He would be able to clue you in on the import requirements but maybe not rec rego.
  13. Bribieisland4x4

Bribieisland4x4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've imported a couple of vehicles privately in recent years, and its easy enough as long as you can comply with all the administrative "taxes" that the govt puts in the way. You need an import approval, costs $50.

First up you need to do a weblookup for "VSB10" which sets out the rules for self importing a vehicle from overseas.

Next is a copy of the Australian Design Rules current at the time of build of the bike - your bike has to comply with those rules - beware that many USA built vehicles are almost impossible to comply as they did not make things like a left hand drive headlamp lense or amber indicators.

If all is well then goto the Customs website and checkup what (if any) duty rate will be payable - if the bike is 100% made in the USA then its duty free BUT not free of GST. You pay GST on the invoice value or assessed value if Customs thinks you are pulling a shifty, you pay GST on the duty, you pay GST on the value of all the shipping costs - all up it can add between 15% to 25% to your costs.

After that goto the AQIS website and get a copy of the vehicle cleaning standards - vehicles have to be cleaned as new. Wooden crates have to be treated for worms and bugs. Dont rely on cleaning the vehicle when it arrives in Oz as it can be rejected and re exported at your cost. AQIS inspections are about $180 per inspection.

Once you KNOW 100% that you can comply with all the above and have the import approval, you can ship the bike.

To get your bike off the wharf or from the freight forwarder you have to pay for any shipping and stevedores charges.

To clear customs you need to fill out an "N10" or "Nature Ten" form at Customs, they will book an AQIS inspection as well. You need to be present for inspections. Pay all the charges due to the govt. and then present all the releases to the wharf and hey presto you can trailer your bike away.

Now it needs to be inspected by a vehicle engineer for compliance to ADRs, after you've done any work required. He'll fit a compliance plate/private import plate if it complies. The engineer will be looking for the things that must be fitted - not that they work.

Next you'll need a roadworthy to make sure all the things work.

Now you can register the bike.

Simple really.
  14. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    What about if the bike is already in aus? Can you just jump straight to the vehicle engineer inspection?

I know someone who imported a bike from USA, then realised how much of a PITA it is to get it registered, and is selling the bike dirt cheap instead.
  15. billyt53

billyt53 Phast Phossil

Oddometer:
    Bribie Isl..........very good info there mate , Ta muchly
  16. Bribieisland4x4

Bribieisland4x4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the bike has the import approval it can be registered, start at the ADRs and make the bike comply - if it came in some other way (Carnet or Tourist import approval pre 2009) then it cant be registered and I'd avoid it like the plague. Even bikes intended for off road use and never intended for registration need an import approval VSB10 gives full details.
  17. crash n bern

crash n bern Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it's an MX bike with no road gear it can be brought in for competition use only. You could get rec rego for it but not road rego. If it is an enduro model with lighting you probably wont get it in. But check with the reg's and don't take the advice of us keyboard experts.
  18. ADV8

ADV8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I posted this thread last week but it got deleted for some reason.

The short story.
    I want to purchase a 1970's Moto Guzzi Eldorado.
    Preferred is a 73 drum brake model.
    They are thin on the ground to say the least here in Australia so importing one from where they are more plentiful is the next option.

I was hoping someone might have done it or has any thoughts on that.
    Motor cycle import in general.

So far I have found out.
    Anyone can import a motorcycle that is 1989 or earlier according to the Australian Customs website.
    Bikes 30 or more years old do not attract to higher import duty.
    ADR compliance is not so strict (it seems)
    You need to get a import permit ($50) but that can take weeks to OK (or not)

The first quote I got for shipping (AU/NZ based company) USA port to Sydney was around AU$2500,the actual shipping cost was $700+ the rest paperwork and port processing fee's.
  19. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi ya Les, if you need any help stateside just shoot me a pm or e-mail. :D
  20. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer: