p

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Hondo, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Hondo

Hondo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    /
  2. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    not worth it in my opinion unless you are a machinist. Most people that go that route end up only saving a little bit of money and taking a whole lot more time. There's a thread over on SMJ or TT that address the same topic, just do some searchin'. There was a guy from France that showed a GS500 or EX500 wheel adapted to a 'tard and all three Spokes snapped from the braking forces and cornering forces it was a crazy pic.

If you wanna be cheap about it, just get some Sportsman tires for your KLR http://www.motostrano-store.com/supermototires.html supposedly there's some SUPER CHEAP cheng shins or something that have awesome grip that come in dualsport sizes.

The best and cheapest way to get a SM wheel set IMO is use some stock hubs and lace up some 17" rims.
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  4. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    I did this on my DR with older Katana wheels

[​IMG]

I've done a fair amount of ruff shite on them and haven't snapped anything yet!
  5. fixer

fixer KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer:

while it's possible, i wouldn't recommend using a cheap OEM rim to build a new wheel.

doesn't matter what size rim you're putting on it, 21", 19", 18" or 17" a new aftermarket Excel rim will be a better deal because it will have better metallurgy than a cheezy OEM rim.
  6. DREW823

DREW823 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hondo, I have Ricks KLR, but he still has the Supermoto wheels as far as I know. Pm him,he was trying to sell them a while ago. Note that you can't hook up the speedo as the front is a 17in. rim. Sept.2007 bike of the month