New track coming

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by ny-wolcott, Aug 16, 2012.

1. ny-wolcott

ny-wolcott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Summer-N. Catskills,NY; Winter-Ocala NF, FL
    Just to let you all know - there's a new track coming to central NY state. Should be open in the spring.

It's only about 10 minutes from my farm, and I got a chance to ride the rough gravel road base with the owner on an ATV. Looks like a fun venue with lots of turns and elevation changes. Runoff seems good at most turns, but a few are questionable. I think it'll be pretty quick for a 2.1 mile track.

A base coat of asphalt is going down in September after which he plans a INTRO EVENT. I'll keep you posted.

The final coat of asphalt goes down in the spring after any water or frost issues are resolved.

For more info: www.nysafetytrack.com/track
  2. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:

Are you worried about the noise? I can see that they're bending over backwards to make it sound like it's not going to be sportbikes turning laps all day. If you've ever read any of the threads from people who live near NJMP in Millville, NJ, you hear some terrible things.

Pictures / map looks interesting. It's actually further from where I live (NYC -- further by about an hour) than NJMP, unfortunately.
  3. ny-wolcott

Oddometer:
    I'm not concerned. Sure, I'll hear it, but I'm over a mountain from there.

Without divulging too much, it appears he has it pretty well under control. Also, if anyone is really troubled and wants to sell out, I suspect he's in a position to buy. :-)

The very close neighbors are already POd about the construction noise and traffic up their little road.

I used to live in Paramus and commuted every w/e. Its about 140 miles from NJ4 & 17, 5 more to the GWB. Budget 3 hours. Definitely an overnight or 2 as tech is probably before 8:00am. But still an easy drive:

Thruway to exit 19 Kingston
    NY28 west ~30 miles to Shandakan
    NY42 north 11 miles to Lexington
    NY23A and NY23 west about 50-60 miles
  4. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    What, did he buy your silence with one ATV ride? :deal:lol3
  5. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's a few threads on the various sportbike forums about this place. While I'd love to see this happen, I'm in the "I'm not holding my breath" camp now.
  6. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Man o man...I sure hope everything goes as planned and this places takes off and flies!! :clap
  7. ny-wolcott

Oddometer:
    I attended a town meeting where the opposition bitched, and I spoke with the owner the next day when I rode the track. I came away from both with the impression that the neigbors were in a hard place and the track could do pretty much as it wants. It seems the town and county powers-that-be favor the track and want it to succeed.

The lack of zoning and other legalities makes it very difficult to fight.

Having spent many a day doing track days, I was enthusistic and excited as soon as I learned it was coming. For those of you who haven't done track days, the experience really teaches you how to ride. Like skiing, at first you just want to go fast - and then after you get over that you get smooth and feel the rythm - kind of like dancing, and very exhiliarating. The corners are where it's at and the straights are almost boring. I'm hoping to work for him in some capacity because I enjoy the atmosphere and I want to get time on the track.
  8. Kaw4Life

Kaw4Life Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi my name is buz-kil.
  9. ChR1s

ChR1s Spherical Bastard

Oddometer:
    Looks like the TRACK is coming together nicely, in spite of a busybody.
  10. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    Hey Rich! :wave

You know I love a track as much as the next guy. I just wouldn't want to live next to one. Or... err... up to 6 miles away. :lol3
  11. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7TOSVBVqIfI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope they put up some fencing to keep deer off the track.
  13. Chuckracer

Oddometer:
    Yes, there is major fencing all around the track. Check out the web site...they address this.
  14. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    My hopes are beginning to inch higher. Seen some footage, and I couple respected peeps have given favorable reports.
  15. ny-wolcott

Oddometer:
    Don't know if I qualify as a respected opinion, but: I've walked the entire track twice, once in each direction. And, a good friend and excellent rider rode his bike on the track today with the owner and the owner's son and came away REALLY impressed. HIs enthusiasm was without bounds. Unfortunately, I was in my car and did not have gear.

I can't express how I feel about it. It's too overwhelming. And it's just 10 minutes from my place!!

You just wouldn't believe what they've accomplished in 4 months! These guys are PROs.
  16. V8

V8 .

Oddometer:
    Anyone want a slightly used DR650, I think I need a GSXR.:D

17. Chuckracer

Oddometer:
    That's "backwards", or counter-clockwise...I like it! It flows nicely! That guy pretty much ran the whole track on that Ducati in one gear, didn't he? I mean, other than the front straight (and I didn't think he was gonna shift there either!)

Nothing better than the smell of melted knee-sliders in the afternoon!

Looks like I may have sold the KTM and gotten the Ducati just about the right time... :deal

Dick, you may get real sick of me next year! :D
  18. Chuckracer

Oddometer:
    A couple grand would put you into a well prepped SV or a mid to late nineties 600 with spares...:deal
  19. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    I don't have a horse in this race. It sounds like a great idea to us, but one neighbor with the bucks to launch litigation (or to bring about a "political solution") could hold up actually offering use to the public for years.
  20. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    Buy some motard wheels/front brakes for the dr, you'll be better off at this place.