Mapsource Roads & Rec

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by MikeBiondo, Dec 15, 2009.

1. MikeBiondo

MikeBiondo n00b

Oddometer:
    Howdy folks,

There is currently on eBay, a Roads & Rec CD for about $50. Is that a decent price? I haven't seen many listed, so I'm not sure. Alternately, if any of you out there have a CD that you don't use any longer, please shoot me a PM.

Thanks...

Mike-
  2. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If it's the old US R&R v3.03, it's a good source for old roads. It's been out of publication for many years. I have it loaded on my 2610 along with City Navigator.
  3. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PM sent.
  4. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor, TOI T1 finisher

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's worth $50 if you like finding old roads and trails. I use mine all the time.
  5. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Jeff,

Do you have some examples of that?

Out here in the PNW, the most recent City Nav maps ( 2010.2 ) have really excellent coverage of forest roads and the back country. It is hard to find a significant difference in the two maps, at least in areas I am familiar with. Mostly I see some differences on the very ends of very minor roads.

Visually, the big difference is that R & R shows water - a nice feature I wish CN had in more detail, and the road names tend to be more current in City Nav. Out here, R & R calls everything in the back country NFxx. City Nav is better with names, at least in my experience.

I often load both in my gps when heading out, but in the last couple of years, I haven't found myself using R & R nearly as much. Of course, I loaned a friend my III+ the other day and we managed to get two counties loaded from R & R. :nod

Thanks.
  6. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Not sure about out West but here in the East R&R shows old roads and trails that just don't appear in CN.
  7. KrAzyOSUcOwBoY

KrAzyOSUcOwBoY kRaZy

Oddometer:
    Be careful, I bought r&r off this forum a year or so ago. When it arrived I couldn't load it. After further investigation it was a Win 95 version. You can have it for free.
  8. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    That shouldn't matter, save it to your hard drive.
  9. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've loaded R&R on 2 different Windows XP machines with no problem :dunno

Oh, and MikeBiondo, I certainly wouldn't pay 50 bucks for it. Hopefully pckopp gave you more info:evil
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    R&R is all I use in old 76C, I have all of CA,NV, Mex2Can route, and CDR route maps loaded. Only user made trails of last 10 years don't show.
  11. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    I've got it loaded in both my desktop runing Windows XP and in my laptop, which is running Vista. No issues with either of them. I have R & R in both my Nuvi and my 2610. Once off the slab, I can almost guarantee I'm looking at R & R. $ 50 is steep, but you don't run across it very often.