Trans America Fail

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Mini Trail, Nov 7, 2012.

1. AtlantaViking

AtlantaViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    Every time I want to drink from the KTM well, I'll remember your TAT debacle(s) to cure me of my temporary bouts of insanity!:lol3
  2. Redclayrider

Redclayrider Long time gone

Oddometer:
    Great ride report, look forward to the next installment!
  3. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    Last part, I appreciate everyone's comments.

So the next morning we showered until our fingers wrinkled then ate breakfast then went our Separate ways.
    [​IMG]

Adam and Justin headed West toward the Pacific Ocean and Newner and I went South I think toward his truck via the Continental Divide trail.

[​IMG]

I have read dozens of TAT reports over the years but it is really hard to get a feel for some of these paths from just the pictures. Up until now I thought what we what we had ridden up until now had been fairly tame and dismissed the idea of Adam and Justin skipping any sections.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What Newner and I rode (mostly not part of the TAT) turned out to be much harder than I expected.

[​IMG]

At 10,000 feet the poor 225 just didn't have any guts at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It coughed and sputtered and wheezed. It could barely make the speed limit on some of the roads and I trailed the mighty KLR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We reached the home of another inmate who was hosting Brian's truck, loaded up and started a 12 hour drive back across Kansas.

[​IMG]

We saw a bear.

[​IMG]

We saw the motel from which you can watch drive in movies.

[​IMG]

At 2:00 am in the middle of fucking nowhere Kansas or maybe Colorado we saw Mr Green Jeans flexing on his CBR talking to a girl who is blocking one of the 4 pumps at the station. A guy sitting in truck towing a Harley was blocking another one. We finally shamed him into pulling forward.

[​IMG]
    I forgot the old man on the CBR.

My GPS Kept trying to put us on an interstate but Brian knew better, that Kansas had these long, wide, perfectly straight highways with 65 mph speed limits. Where I'm from any two lane would put you in a town with a 35mph speed limit and a traffic signal every 15 miles but there are plenty of ways to haul ass across Kansas if you can stand the smell.

Arriving in Newkirk around 4:00am.
    [​IMG]

I still had to move the bike to my truck, sleep an hour then start my own 9 hour drive home.

I couldn't have done it without Newner. His truck saved me two solid days of sunup to sundown riding.

Adam stayed with Justin through at least one more state but eventually got too far from home and had to turn back himself. Justin made it to the coast but I don't think he took the trail all the way.

The damage to my wife's bike did not go unnoticed. I think I added around 1100 miles in three days.

[​IMG]

That covers the past 4 years maybe we'll try again next year.

The 690 is still not repaired.
  4. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    no offense, but I'm NEVER gonna for for a ride with you! I'm worn out just reading about your misfortunes!
  5. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
    Nice read Brian! :clap

Well, at this rate, you'll probably finish the TAT in 2020. :lol3
  6. DocAxeYarYar

DocAxeYarYar RideDualSport.com

Oddometer:
    I like your style dude, you roll with the punches. Wish we could have seen that gas rag go all metly-melty on the Yamaha fender. Seems the God's were always smiling on you in the end, even if it felt like the Devil was yanking your cord.
    KoD likes this.
  7. Shadowed_Stranger

Shadowed_Stranger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last time I rode with him his bike kept running, but he push started my XT a few times in the sand when my starter died.
  8. Rutabaga

Rutabaga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I could tell from the garage pictures that this was a man with passion and desire. Just did not realize how much. Lots. Even after all those woes he buys an orange Jeep!
  9. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Alright, I'll be honest. I just this second opened your RR, because the title sounded intriguing. I'm sorry for the problems that clearly arose, but that is quite a lead in to your story:lol3
  10. Laconic

Laconic Old Normal

Oddometer:
    Great report, thanks for putting it up!

:D
  11. TexasPrairieRider

TexasPrairieRider Texan

Oddometer:
    Is that Austrian for ATM?

:lol3

I am just going to be patient until the next installment.:deal good read.
  12. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    to tell in your old age to your grandkids. :lol3
  13. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    I'm going to give you this: You never say die. Serious respect.

Also realize that I read this like a trainwreck. I could not avoid my eyes. I simply could not stop reading. I also can't wait for you to finish it.

PS - Get the DR. :freaky
  14. BmoreBandit

BmoreBandit nomo B

Oddometer:
    One word for you, man- K L R

I think that's the only bike that can take all your misfortune and keep ticking. Gotta give it to you, just a thought of two full days of slabbing on a tiny Yamaha make my ass twitch. One look into your garage (I see you like crappy bicycles and Rotella) and I knew this was going to be interesting. More power to you, you did get around.
    I am always at loss with all these crazy RR and rarely can get into them anymore but this one at least cracked me up good.
    Oh and riding with an expired tag is hardly trifling bs up in northern lands, more like bread and butter offense for cops to give you a sizeable fine. So, if the good cop just wanted to bs with you for few minutes I would thank him and consider myself lucky, I can think of a lot worse scenarios and officers who would had really f'ed with you.
  15. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    How do you pronounce that "word" ? Lol

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
  16. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Damn Brian. That's a tall tale. Feckin' KTMs.
  17. BmoreBandit

BmoreBandit nomo B

Oddometer:
    Same as 'Killer', 'cause it murders all the trails!
  18. CBBaron

CBBaron Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know seems to me the XT faired pretty well despite his best attempts to turn it into a fire ball. :lol3

Craig
  19. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    I never noticed you going to the Euro Bob.

There may be a Colorado Pass ride next year if you want to come. You'll need to bring your 950 so you can tow me back.
  20. Barney

Barney I reckon so

Oddometer:
    :clapEnjoyed the report Mini. Planning to ride some of the western TAT this fall with my son, I'll be sure to warn him about strapping fuel soaked towels to the exhaust of his XT.