BMW R****R Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ninepeaks9, Nov 28, 2012.

1. OroDas

OroDas El Uy uy uy

Oddometer:

Riding position most be the same or very similar to the 1150r. Just made close to 7,000 mile in Mexico.

D.F. (Mexico City) - Atlanta 3 days no sweat. :1drink[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]
  2. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    I am quite sure the only difference is the CCs. Its made for another country with restrictions. I saw an 850 at a Tech weekend for chrome heads.

David.
  3. RonSJC

RonSJC Long timer

Oddometer:
    So..... without riding one, I decided to take the plunge and commit to a purchase of a Nice '97 R850R with less than 16k on the clock. I rode it home (about 180 miles) and she just wanted to do 80. I'm not sure if the speedometer is correct, because it sure didn't feel like I was going 80.

So a few questions for those of you that have been kind enough to reply thus far. 42 mpg on the first fill up. Low Fuel light came on about 150 miles (sound about right?)

My arms are too short to sit back on the bike. I'll need to figure out some bar options. The pegs feel a bit far back for me. Anyone re-position them after market parts?

Finally, my god the windshield is big!!! It was over 90 degrees heading back home and I was wishing for a bit more air. I know I'll love it this fall though!

Thanks all![​IMG]
  4. RonSJC

RonSJC Long timer

Oddometer:
    What year is your bike? I just went on the web and checked out the Moto Technique round bar mounts and I don't see how it would fit my bike. My bars look like this:
    [​IMG] (full disclosure... not my pic !)
  5. BMWs2Dave

BMWs2Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on your purchase!
    I have owned a 97 R850R for about 16 years now. I have about 43k miles on it. It is one of 4 bikes I own, so it does not get ridden a lot. Maybe a 3k miles a year or so.
    I typically get about 200 miles on a tank, and average 43 MPG highway driving.
    That windscreen is not the stock one. I suggest getting something smaller or the stock one which is smaller.
    I really like my R850R, which is why I have kept it so many years. It is just a nice riding sweet motorcycle. It is not the fastest, or the most sexiest, but it just gets the job done cruising along the highway comfortably or riding along on twisty roads. I have lots of luggage for mine, so can really carry a lot of stuff and hit the road.
    One can pick up one in good shape for less than $3k, which is quite a deal for a good bike that will give years of enjoyment.
    My R850 has been super reliable all of these years, which is part of the reason I keep it in the herd.
  6. BMWs2Dave

BMWs2Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the same rear passenger back rest and rack on mine. it is very useful. I mounted a Givi mounting plate back there to carry a Givi case on the bike.
    I would get a different windshield. That thing is huge. Bigger is not always better.

The sweet spot for cruising on the highway is about 70-80 MPH. the engine really hums along happily at that speed. The speedometer is about 5 MPH fast.
  7. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    hope this is not trolling. I have a 2,000 R1100R. It has bar backs. Moves em back and up one inch. Send a PM for a Pic.

Nice bike!

David
  8. OroDas

OroDas El Uy uy uy

Oddometer:
    Nice looking bike. Enjoy!
  9. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife had two, an 1100R and and 1150 R, liked riding them both. The 1150 was her favorite cross continent bike of all time, the 1100 was a bit tp heavy.

The MOA forum has a lot of these bikes for sale all the time, many with low miles.

I would consider a R1200 R as a retirement bike, easy to ride, quick enough and very big trip capable.
  10. RonSJC

RonSJC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks All!

Anyone have photos of the stock windshield? Are they even available? I'm 5'10" and the windshield I have (other than being massive) ends right at my line of sight. I'm either stretching to look over it, or slouching to look under the top of it.

Ron
  11. Shoe

Shoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is a 98 R1100R with stock shield. I am also 5'10" and this shield worked well for me.
    [​IMG]
    gif image hosting
  12. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    Can any of you give me the details of the recall on the rear wheel flange for my 2011 R1200R? I got a notice from the previous owner via email and the letter was too small to read.

Thanks.
  13. rgc1248

rgc1248 Advrider wannabe

Oddometer:
    Per the letter: certain model year 2005-2011 BMW motorcycles.
    This recall involves the rear wheel flange. If the rear wheel bolts are tightened beyond the specified torque limit when the wheel is re-installed after a service procedure, then cracks could develop in the rear wheel flange. Over time, the bolts could loosen and potentially "back out" of their threaded holes.
    Repair
    The aluminum rear wheel flange will be replaced with a steel version.
    Safety
    If you detect a wobble when cornering and the tire pressures are correctly set, then the issue may be occurring. Carefully move away from traffic and pullover to a safe location as soon as possible. Do not continue to ride your motorcycle. You may contact BMW Motorcycle Roadside Assistance at 1-877-620-2176 to have your motorcycle brought to the nearest authorized BMW dealer.
  14. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    Very much appreciated. I do my own work and torque the wheel myself, however I bought the bike used...so I'll be following up.

Thank you again.
  15. jmckeown88

jmckeown88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Weird Bug - I'd get it to the dealer and get it fixed (it is free!)

Lots of people have had issues who say they've never over tightened.
  16. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    Thank. I will be following up for sure. Will call today to set up appointment.
  17. Paper

Paper Meh

Oddometer:

Sorry.. Just saw this..
    Mine was a 2000. It's long since gone and I don't have any photos that show the bar mounts.. What I can tell you is that I bought the mounts and bar (K1 bar) from San Jose BMW.. One of the guys there had the same set up and let me take it for a spin, and I loved it..

Yes. The bar mounts on my bike were the same as yours. The new bar mounts mounted in the same location, but due to the width, required a wide bar base.. The K1 bar did this perfectly.. This was all done over 13 years ago and I sold the bike 10 years ago..

I'd give San Jose BMW a shout.. I bought all the stuff from them..
  18. RonSJC

RonSJC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll reach out to them.

Ron
  19. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    Checked in and mine is not part of the recall for the flange, but for a "fuel platform." Will be taking that in 7/10. Anyone have this done, or had an issue?

Thanks.
  20. Paper

Paper Meh

Oddometer:
    I know my 05' GS and my 07' xMoto both have recalls.. I need to get them addressed but BMW screwed the opportunity for a local dealer several years back, so now I'm way over 1 hour to the nearest dealer..:ddog