Baja Veterans.....Road Advice?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by MTDuke, Feb 14, 2012.

1. MTDuke

MTDuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the interest of due diligence I am planning out some routes for a March Trip. LBMaps has been great, but gaps remain and the ADV archives have not yielded some answers. I know some will say that exploring the unknown is part of the trip, and I agree. But it also serves to be prepared so I am asking if anyone can comment on the nature of the road going north from Los Barriles to Las Planes (toward La Paz). It appears that some of this is paved but turns to dirt as it follows the Sea of Cortez. It is labeled as "Mountain Pass Road".

For context we are riding 2 DL650's with TKCs likely loaded heavy. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]
  2. stickman1432

stickman1432 Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.Cal.& St George UT-Baja-riding anywhere
    Check your PMs :eek1:eek1 I think that this guy knows where to go.................hell of a cut and paste wouldn't you say

[​IMG]
  3. MTDuke

MTDuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't follow that sum bitch anywhere without some solid intel. He was last seen lane splitting through N. Thailand looking for the holy grail of red curries.

[​IMG]

4. r_jacksondiesel

r_jacksondiesel My friends call me Trunk Monkey

Oddometer:
    I rode that section twice this winter, just before new years and just after. It's one of the nicest rides in Baja and shouldn't be any problem for a KLR 650. Some steep edges and drop offs, dirt all the way, but really scenic and lots of fun. PM me your email and I can send some pics, I took a lot through this part!

Edit: I just re-read you post and looked up what a DL 650 is. You probably won't like this ride on a bike like that, it has some rough rocky sections. No pavement past Los Barrilles if you are following the coastline. I broke my back last year near El Cardonal, but couldn't wait to come back and ride it again!
  5. MTDuke

MTDuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM sent, thanks! Wade.
  6. rnrdozer

rnrdozer RNRDozer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We just rode it in January on KTM 990's KLR 650's and even a 1200GS the road is pretty easy. most of the steep sections have been concreted. I have quite a few pictures of this route on the ride report (riding big pigs in Baja) it is a must do route for sure! Have fun, Richard
  7. MTDuke

MTDuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm humbled by the generosity of ADV'ers with offers of advice and resources. I will pay it off/forward. I wont call out names, but let me say I really appreciate folks time and efforts in helping with trip preparation.

The Wees have TKCs as of today and we are 3 weeks and counting.

[​IMG]
  8. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    I ride this section once or twice a year (on a light dirt bike with knobby tires) and if you have some dirt riding skills I think you will be ok, knobby tires will be a plus. There is some light sand north of La Tina and a small dip and ledge just as you start up the hill to go over to Hwy 286, sorry no pic. I have not ridden this section in a year so conditions may change. If traveling North of Los Barriles, take the dirt road North of town close to the water not the paved road going up the hill. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. MTDuke

MTDuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting these pics, WOW. Looks great and we will be there soon. :clap
  10. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will echo what others have said. Should not be a problem if you have some dirt experience. The usual rocks & washboard with some grades and sharper curves added to the mix, and yes exposers. The northern bit is the more challenging.

Rode through once shortly after a dozer (good & bad) and had a good chuckle when I realized I had been passing an empty Tecate can every 1/4 mile, like clockwork for miles.

On your map image the road from Las Planes south to San Antonio may be paved now so a southbound bailout if you don't like what you see.

Also there used to be a nice restaurant/bar @ Ensenada de Muertos to the north and Punta Arena has a white sand beach forever.

Bruce