Texas to Belize

Discussion in 'Americas' started by rodrut, Jul 26, 2011.

1. rodrut

rodrut Ride Central America

Oddometer:
    Hello, I just bought a BMW 1200GS in California and plan on picking it up in the next 2-3 weeks. I am planning on riding it to Houston Texas and leaving it there until September or October, when I plan on riding it to Belize. I live in southern Belize and wanted to see if anyone was interested in making the ride from Texas to Belize. The Hummingbird Hwy in Belize is one of the most beautiful roads that I have seen in Central America. My friend owns a great resort there that offers scuba diving, fly fishing and some great hiking / zipline areas are close.
  2. JJJZJ

JJJZJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My brother and I are in the works of planning a trip from Chicago - South America. I am not 100% sure when we will be leaving, it might be more like oct/november, but if its closer to your timeline, I will let you know. Either way, it would be great to have someone to ride with once down there and i'm a big fan of scuba diving and flyfishing as well. :D
  3. Artlocks

Artlocks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does your friend have a website for his resort? Some friends and I are looking for a location for a dive trip, probably the first week of November.
  4. selecus

selecus --------

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving Montreal late October, will spend a couple days in Houston with my sister and then heading south, could work out for at least a part of the way...
  5. rodrut

Oddometer:
    Our website is www.theplacencia.com If the timeline doesn't work out, anyone heading to Belize can send me a P.M. and I would be happy to ride with you through Belize and possibly Guatemala. We have a great resort here in Placencia Belize and the hummingbird highway is a beautiful ride and should not be missed.
  6. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Adventure riding at its best, no?

http://www.theplacencia.com/placencia-hotel/rates

:)
    This is a commercial posting.
  7. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty good room rate.... for a week :D...........:cob
  8. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    :)

Placencia, IMO, is a rip off. The beaches are skinny, sand fleas to hell, and it's way over-priced.
    There are some Garifuna folks there - I guess they're still there - but the majority of that spit of land is a tourist trap.

The best part of Belize is the Maya Mtns.
  9. novamandan

novamandan Danny B

Oddometer:
    Hey man;
    I'm looking to do a ride down into Central America October-November as well. I'm thinking of heading to El Salvador, Belize, or Guatemala. I plan on leaving the bike there for me to retrieve in a few months to continue the journey south. I am leaving 10/10 and returning 11-9. Those dates seem somewhat in line? Let me know if that sounds like something you might be down for!

Danny
  10. lexluther11

lexluther11 Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer:
    I'm riding to Belize mid Nov...........
  11. troyfromtexas

troyfromtexas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm heading south in September. I haven't set a route but could consider your route to Belize. I've been to Belize two times and have enjoyed it. I'm packing my fly fishing gear and wouldn't mind casting a few. I'm hoping to take my time through Mexico, but I'm flexible.
  12. rodrut

Oddometer:
    Sounds great guys. I have my bike here in Placencia Belize now but would ride up to Chetemal Mexico and meet you for the ride through Belize. I would be up for continuing down to Guatemala and El Salvador as well. Danny, I live in a very nice area in a resort community and you would be welcome leave your bike in my garage until you continued your southern track. I also have a friend who owns a hotel in Antigua Guatemala and have friends in San Salvador if those are better spots for you. I am flexible on dates so let me know what works for you guys. Rod
  13. rodrut

Oddometer:
    Hey Troy, I have a boat to get out to the cays for fly fishing. Wading the islands is amazing and you can chase schools of 100 bone fish at a time. The permit are also here but allusive. The tarpon are plentiful as well so if you hook up a permit early, you are pretty much assured of a gland slam
  14. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is a ballpark idea of the expense to fish as mentioned? I will be down there -in the winter only- in the near future & on a bike with no fishing equipment.
  15. rodrut

Oddometer:
    I fly fish about every other week so you could come along and all we pay is the marine reserve ranger about $20
  16. lexluther11

Oddometer:
    Hi Rod,

Any not too fancy places to stay in Belize? Like most of us......I'm on a budget trip:scratch

Thanks..........Mark
  17. rodrut

Oddometer:
    Yes Mark, There are a number of inexpensive places along the peninsula but I can get you a really good rate at our hotel also. There are rooms for around $50 a night. Give me a heads up when your heading this way.
  18. rodrut

Oddometer:
    I have plenty of gear or If you prefer to fish with a guide, there is a great one here that charges 500 a day and supplies all equipment and I would split that with you if you would like.
  19. lexluther11

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rod...........they would be great and will let you know when I'm heading to Belize.
  20. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll switch from fishing to murder rate in Belize. I just left the huge "Is Mexico Safe" thread & there is a mention of how Belize is more dangerous than Mexico r.e., the 6 murders per day. Are they all in Belize City or spread amongst the whole place,or whatever. I'm not an alarmist and have been to Mexico a number of times in recent years,& not counting the past trips.