The BMWs are (finally) coming

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by elamofo, Jun 21, 2012.

1. piedevant

piedevant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This question displays a sad ignorance of the difference between all the above-named machines, and their prices.
    which isn't to say that the BMWs aren't overpriced......

If anyone's interested, my review of both the new BMW 650
    maxiscooters is out now in the August 2012 issue of The Rider's Digest,
    No.169, which is available to read online or download for free from:
    www.theridersdigest.co.uk
    The maxiscoot feature starts on page 98 and runs all the way to p.119.
    The magazine is 160 pages in all and has a great variety of other features too.
    PNB in London, UK
    PS Meanwhile, BMW's electric maxiscoot prototypes were presented last
    weekend at the London Olympics. I hope to ride one soon.
    PPS I have of course ridden all of the above-named machines in all their various guises, and I have actually owned 3 Tmaxes and 3 Burgmen.
  2. ScootTour

ScootTour Long timer

Oddometer:
    time and time again I run into riders in real life, online and in books who all say BMW touring bikes are outstanding. I am rather excited to see these new BMW maxi scooters coming out which I might be in the market for next year :)
  3. ArtCuisin

ArtCuisin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A cat born in a doghouse is still a cat.
  4. Tromper

Tromper Sagaciously Annoying Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just checked with the local BMW dealer.
    The scooter released been bumped a couple times (currently they're promising September). The guy I talked to wasn't real optimistic on that since they've been having trouble getting two wheeled stock in general.:eek1
  5. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:

I don't think it's fair to say demand is high until they land here or in whatever market and people start buying or ordering them. Interest is certainly high, but cost, reliability, availability, support and parts will all factor into whether or not that high interest translates into high demand.
  6. John Bentall

John Bentall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have absolutely no idea what this means in relation to the BMW scooter.

1) The BMW scooter is assembled in Berlin.
    2) Berlin also makes all the engines and chassis for all K models, R models, and F models (not 100% sure about the engines on the F).
    3) There is no physical room in the Berlin factory to manufacture the scooter engines. The choice was either NOT to make scooters at all or to subcontract the manufacture of this wholly-BMW-designed engine (according to Mr. Maier, the Scooter Product Manager whom I met in Garmisch, Germany a month ago) elsewhere.
    4) Kmyco is a tried and trusted partner to BMW on previous projects, so was a natural choice to make the engines.

These are the facts as I understand them.

Who has got hard evidence to the contrary?

I totally understand if someone does not want to buy a motorcycle with an engine made in Korea, that is their right to do so. Let's stick to the facts in this thread.
  7. John Bentall

John Bentall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The good news is that there is a high level of interest. If there was insufficient interest then BMW would probably not import them at all, so nobody could place an order in any case.
  8. =retread=

=retread= freedom loving USA

Oddometer:
  9. t6pilot

t6pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Long beach BMW is saying late September/October
    My wife is number one on list for first 600 sport with heated seat/grips
    No price mentioned but salesgirl Robyn guesses 10-11k anymore and we won't be getting it
  10. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Robyn is the best...couldn't ask for a better sales rep.
  11. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    I'm in Sweden on vacation and stopped at a bike shop to look at models we don't get here. It was a BMW/Kawasaki place and had a BMW scooter parked outside. Sooooooo, figured I'd try it on for size.

Got to tell you, this is a big, heavy scooter! I was sort of surprised by the weight.

I'll be back in the States tomorrow and see if anyone could post the photo I took.
  12. hexnut

hexnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  13. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  14. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    Holler if you need help. I'd love to see the pics.
  15. Dabears

Dabears Long Timer

Oddometer:
    Your comment made me look up the weight on these. Jeebus! The C600 Sport is 549lbs curb weight, while the C650 GT is 575lbs! My big pig R1200GS is 495lbs in comparison (438 dry!!). A 2012 Piaggio BV 350 has a dry weight of 390 (curb weight guess- 415??)

I won't have to worry about developing scooter lust over these- simply no way I could envision comfortably handling that weight for general purpose scootering. :huh Crikey.
  16. ScootTour

ScootTour Long timer

Oddometer:
    true and false.

I mean yes, its true most motor cycle riders and motorcycle dealers do not take scooters seriously. However, they can in short....suck it.

I dont have to impress them and I dont care if they make total fools of themselves making fun of an automatic transmission motorycle while then jump into their automatic car to haul their manual transmission motorcycle to a rally.

Besides, I literally have zero time for people who judge my character or self worth based on what I buy.
  17. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    The weight of the new BMW scooters are around the same as the Burgman 650. None of the big maxi scooters out there are exactly light. Due to a low center of gravity and smaller wheels, they most likely will feel lighter and more nimble than you would expect from their weights. I am really not interested in getting a big scooter myself, partly due to their weights, however, heavy really depends on your perspective. Yes these scooters are heavy compared to your GS, or a smaller scooter, however, I consider a Burgman 650 to be the scooter version of a Gold Wing. It's about 300 LBS lighter than a Gold Wing.
  18. Starbuck21

Starbuck21 Manly scooterist!

Oddometer:

Well said! My thoughts exactly! I have ridden motorcycles since 1970 and now I am older wanted something a bit more sedate. Love my Silver Wing and don't care if anyone else does!!! :rofl Believe it or not my friends STILL ride with me!
  19. gkgeiger

gkgeiger Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer:
    Mine do too, but would rather not. One of them asked me to ride behind him so he wouldn't have to look at it. All my friends have been riding for many years.
  20. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to getting a look at the BMW scoots. They are undoubtedly way outside my price range, but I'm hoping that there will be some innovation which might motivate other makers to update their designs...not necessarily a bad thing...