Track request - obdr route 3

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by Romanousky, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Romanousky

Romanousky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello All,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Obviously I am quite new to the adventure scene (not motorcycles) and am looking for a little help. If this has been answered just point me in the right direction (couldn’t find it using search). <o:p></o:p>
    I am planning a pretty epic trip in a few months but I want to take a short practice run. I am going to do Route 3 of the OBDR (Crown Jewels) from HooDoo Ski area down to California. I just bought a Garmin 60CSx (and a DRZ amongst other things) and would like to upload a route that shows the trail and fuel waypoints. I DID purchase the hard copy map but I have heard that it is not quite spot on so I was hoping to upload someone’s RECENT trip that I could just follow. I would also have to stop and frequently pull out the map which I don’t want to deal with. I want to complete the ride in 2 nights / 2-1/2 days (one way) of riding (down to Ashland, OR). IF I had more time I would figure it out myself but I also want to learn how to use this “new to me” GPS. <o:p></o:p>
    I will be leaving on September 7<SUP>th</SUP> if this has any bearing on what roads/trails are useable. Thanks for the help!! If I ever learn how to make my own tracks on the GPS I will pay it forward!<o:p></o:p>
  2. dvwalker

dvwalker Lets go

Oddometer:
  3. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes go to GPSExchange and in Jerry Counts' private library he has route 3. I followed it from South to North last year, on my way to the WBCDR and it was spot on. South of Bend near Wickiup lake the route follows some snow mobile trails that were marked closed due to fire season (I rode it last August)
  4. Romanousky

Oddometer:
    Thank you but it says I need to upload a route before I can download. Unfortunatley I don't even know how to create a route. :huh
  5. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    You do not need to join or download anything to get a track from Jerrys library.
    If you wish to join the xchange and up load a track from any other section of the site you will then need to do a download ofa track first
  6. Romanousky

Oddometer:
    I am seriously missing something here. I go to Private Libraries and then to the BCDT Thread by Countdown. I can not for the life of me find a link or an attachment of what is supposedly included.

I spent 10 minutes on this page and totally FAILED: http://www.gpsxchange.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=3884#3884

In the bottom right corner of the page it says the following:

You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum
    You cannot attach files in this forum
    You cannot download files in this forum

7. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    your not registered. you need to upload at least 1 track to be able to d/load someone elses.
  8. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The link is to the correct file. On the right side click on down load.
    Do you have mapsource?
    Once again you do not need to upload anything to download from Jerrys files
    He must be out riding or he would be all over this post.
    If all else fails send me a PM with your email addy and I can send you my copy
  9. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a look at the page and cannot see a download link too.
    Stange that some can and others cannot by not signing in? I'm a member of GpsXchange and can see the links is if I sign in, but they're not there prior to signing in.

Attached Files:

10. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw the whole page even when I clicked on his link.
    I guess the xchange recognized me as a member.
  11. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking that you must've checked the box "Log me on automatically each visit:" when you originally signed in. When you click on the "obdr route 3" link, do you see in the upper right corner a log out option with your username beside it? If you do, then you're automatically logged in every time you visit the site.
  12. Romanousky

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the help guys. I registered to the site and was able to download a file.

Can anyone point me to some good thread or tutorials on using the Garmin 60csx and Basecamp?
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go to DualSportWest.com then ckick on GPS, I have a several page class on 60/76 but nothing on BaseCamp, I am still MapSource user.
  14. Romanousky

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Jerry. The information was helpful.

I have a new problem. I am using basecamp with Jerry's track. When transferring to the gps unit it says "tracks truncated". Now, I have deleted all tracks, waypoints, etc... That do not pertain to route 3 in the gpx file and I still get the "tracks truncated" message. When I map the Rt 3 (this is the title of the track) on the gps it only shows it going from Ashland to about the crater lake area which is only about 1/3 of the trail. Can anyone help with this? I am supposed to be taking off Friday morning and it looks like I'll be using paper maps at the moment.
  15. Romanousky

Oddometer:
    So here is what my computer shows:

[​IMG]

I have since deleted everything on the bottom left except for the following:

Crescent (gas station)
    GASPROSPEC (gas station)
    TwinLakesResort
    Rt3
    Rt3 Opt a

You can see in the upper left the gray highlighted folder "Recently Imported from O BCDT Tracks Raw.gdb

I then take this folder and drag it onto the 60csx which is usually listed under the "My Garmin Devices" title when plugged in.

So what I am doing wrong?:norton
  16. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    The maximum track length allowed in the 60csx is 500 points per track. If it's longer, the GPS will truncate it. You have to filter each track down to less that 500 points. In mapsouce it's super easy, but I don't know for Basecamp.
  17. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jerry has two sets of track files. the raw is the un filtered tracks try the other one. He has done all the hard work of filtering for us. The file must be in GPX format and be less then 20 tracks of 500 points or less each
  18. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not quite true!

I did that for CDR but not for O-BCDT (yet). Roman will have to filter the tracks he wants to use down to 500 points.

I also don't know how to do it in BC however the 60 will also do it:
    1) Rename the track in question as "ACTIVE LOG"
    2) Clear Active Log in 60
    3) Download track in question with new name.
    4) Save Track in 60, rename it to what you want, set Color, Check the "Show on Map" box.

You are ready to go but you shuld also upload the saved track back to PC for backup.
  19. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats what I get for posting without going back and checking first.
    I used Jerrys files for both routes 3 and 5. I must have split them up myself .
    And if I can do it anyone can figure it out.
  20. Romanousky

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]And if I can do it anyone can figure it out.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to think of myself as not a complete idiot but this is just not working for me. I manualy dumbed down the track from 2,000 points down to 494 and got it onto the gps. Unfortunately I may have lost crucial turns, etc... There is no overlay map in my Basecamp so I can't actually see any of the trails/roads. And even though my gps came with mapsource on the 100K topo disc and can't install cuz I got a mac.

On another note I downloaded MotionX-GPS and imported Jerry's track with absolutely no problems. Now I have the map overlaying satellite images on my iphone. I know it is not as reliable but this combined with the paper maps I should be okay. And I did install the Burns Moto USB port on my bike so I can charge the iPhone.

Totally off topic but just to prove that I am not completely inept.....I just finished building my racks last night and dropped them off at the powder coat shop this morning. They are going to turn it around in one day so I'm ready to ride in the morning. :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]