Relocating From Dirt Heaven to the District.

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by getset, Aug 26, 2013.

1. getset

getset Go pop a wheelie!

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I have a couple of questions for you all in the DMV area. I am moving to DC for at least one year maybe two, and although excited to spend time in the city, a little remorseful to leave the beauty that is Montana. My current bike is a plated 2010 Husaberg FE570. I do quite a bit of dualsport riding in MT, and am curious is I should bring it out or leave it behind in my garage. Supermoto wheel set? get something a little more tarmac friendly? Is there any dirt to be had within a couple hours ride? I have never lived East of the Rocky Mountains so a lack of wide open spaces may cause me to obsessively wheelie on the tar. My wife and I do not have a car, but may get a bigger bike for two up explorations along the East coast. Maybe it is time to add a 990. Been looking for an excuse:evil

Thanks in advance for your input

[​IMG]
  2. gastone

gastone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bring the wife... And the 'berg... Not necessarily in that order.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903387

Plenty of good riding 2 hours or so west of the district. North as well. Probably not quite what you are accustomed to, but it keeps local hillbillys happy.
  3. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    This ^
    I was just working in DC, 4 hour trip from here each way.
    Here and in VA there is quite a bit of good riding, please don't tell anyone tho.
  4. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
  5. error cooled

error cooled anything but asphalt

Oddometer:
    You will be a little disappointed vs MT.. but as far as the east coast goes Virginia is pretty fortunate as 9.2% of land is public - the highest percentage on the East Coast. Here is an example of what's out there: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632804
  6. getset

getset Go pop a wheelie!

Oddometer:
    Good news gentlemen. One thing that is nice is that when riding is closed due to feet of snow in MT it is probably just getting really good out here.

My wife is the reason we moved out here. She took a 1 year position with AAAS working for the USGS. I will continue working remotely which means I have a very flexible schedule. We moved into a place last weekend, and I am back West for the month of Sept, which includes a 10 day trip through Idaho and NW MT following a big loop on parts of the TIC and CDR. Then I drive out with the pooch and the Berg in October. DCrider, I will pm you when I get back and settled. I may be back by the 11th for the gathering. Would be nice to meet some like minded folks.

cheers-
  7. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, have a safe trip. Appears the wife is a science gal? We have a lot of AAAS fellows here at EPA.
  8. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    It appears you have some luggage for your bike too.
    Bring it, you will want it so you can go drinking...I mean camping at some ADV rallies. :D
  9. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    Are you living in DC? What's your parking situation? If you are in DC and park on the street expect your vehicle to be (sooner or later) vandalized and or stolen. If you have a garage or off street parking, it isn't as big of a deal.

I don't ride my motorcycle in DC. For better or worse, there isn't much traffic enforcement within DC. Parking enforcement, yes, traffic enforcement, no. But that also means there isn't much order and that doesn't bode well for motorcycles, IMHO. Of course, if you want to ride that 'berg like a bike messenger you'll get places quick and probably never get pulled over. (Probably get dozens of tickets from traffic cams though!)
  10. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bring it you will have fun. I assume Montana has rocks, If not you will learn to love them here.

Error cooled has a sweet dualsport route, I got a chance to ride a small portion of it the other day. It was awesome. If you only bring the berg for that it would be worth it.

Sumo wheels wouldn't hurt either (check out dcsportbikes.net for local sumo rides)
  11. getset

getset Go pop a wheelie!

Oddometer:
    Yep science gal. She goes by Dr. Gates these days. At least that's what She makes me call her..... Ecologist by training working mostly with endangered species issues. She actually applied for a couple positions with the EPA, but the usgs was her #1 as it was a little outside her comfort zone, and seemed interesting. New challenges ya know.

Parking isn't an issue. I am in a new building with a large garage and since I only have my husaberg and our bikes it is no trouble. I have read of issues with bikes on the street. Someone in my building keeps his bike right out front. We are over by the redskins stadium. Use to be a little shady years back I hear.

Anyhow, looking forward to exploring the countryside, and it's rocks. Lots of dry sharp rocks in MT and I grew up near Portland Oregon, and we had many slimy rocks out there. So yes I am familiar with rocks of all sorts.

Thanks all for the many links.

Cheers!
  12. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rocks here are wet and slippery, until you fall on them. Then they are sharp.
  13. DCrider

Oddometer:
    You are only 2 metro stops from me, u Stadium me Eastern Market. Not to alarm ya but it's a city and it's DC...and yes a lot has improved on the eastern end of the Hill, but still ALWAYS watch your back, esp at night while exiting the metro and walking home. Anyway we can shoot the BS more over beers after you get here. Erik
  14. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    I am a half hour south of D.C. & have some nice single trak right nearby. I also have a plated 570 & we are always looking for some hardcore offroaders to join in. October is the perfect riding time here as well so let me know if you want to check out some local D/S action.
  15. getset

getset Go pop a wheelie!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Woods W for the invite. I will definitely get in touch with you when I return.

Erik, Thanks for the heads up. I have been to Eastern Market area a few times. Some great restaurants there. That and access to the market has us excited. I hear H street has some good fare as well. Headed to a Nationals game Friday and then back to MT on Sunday. I'll pm you when I return.
  16. truck6driver

truck6driver Proud Navy dad!

Oddometer: