First-ever trail rides

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Deleted252297, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Prior to my trip from Oct 31-Nov 4 I had never ridden a Motorcycle before. My friend and an Instructor with Adventure Riders International, http://www.adventureridersinternational.com, not only taught me the ropes of how to ride a Motorcycle but also let me experience some nice trails in northern New Mexico. I can't thank him enough for getting me hooked into Adventure / Enduro Riding (I think my wife is less than thankful) and I'm already looking forward to the next trip out on the trails. This is a great Forum and I'm glad to be a part of it.

Thanks to those from whom I've already bought my first riding jacket and riding pants, thanks to future members from whom I buy something, and sorry to at least one person from whom I didn't (yet) buy a bike. I'm enjoying learning this new hobby. Within 1 week of returning home from the trip I acquired my Motorcycle Learner's Permit so I'm on my way.

Pics and videos of some of the action at https://dschilberg.smugmug.com/Travel/NewMexico-2012/Trail-Rides. In that gallery there are links to some graphical replays of the trail rides that show speed, elevation, terrain, etc. in case that is useful/helpful to others.
  2. Topo map replays of the trail rides:
    Trail Ride #1 -- 11/01/2012 -- 20 miles of Beginner trails
    Trail Ride #2 -- 11/02/2012 -- 90 miles of trails with Intermediate sections
    Trail Ride #3 -- 11/03/2012 -- 90 miles of Beginner trails
    Trail Ride #4 -- 11/04/2012 -- 120 miles of trails with Intermediate sections

A few photos:
    [​IMG]

My first bike to ride was the Honda XR100R but just a day and a half later I was ready for the Suzuki DR-Z400.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pausing for a photo with the Honda XR100Rs and Ian pauses in one of the rocky dry creek beds.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pausing for a photo along Polvadera Road with the Suzuki DR-Z400 and then with Ghost Ranch in the background (Ian was on his BMW 1100GS this day).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Obviously, this was a road/trail perfectly suited for trail bikes (Intersection of Forest Road 133 and US Route 64) and later I encountered my first-ever water crossing.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

My 1st lengthy rocky descent which is part of about a 2-mile stretch of rock-covered trail and then it was time for lunch.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Another rocky section with Ian showing how it is done on a Suzuki DR-Z400.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pausing in front of the Abiquiu Reservoir with Ghost Ranch in the background and some nice weather for gazing at the sky.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  3. fuggy

fuggy Canyon Explorer

Oddometer:
    Looks and sounds like you got hooked on this sport! It still amazes me how far and how much you can see on a bike in such a little time compared to any other form of ground transportation. What bike are you thinking of purchasing? As a beginner I started on a Suzuki DR350 (electric start) and moved to the DRZ400 after a year. Enjoyed both bikes and they were cheap/easy to maintain.