The New Ninja 300

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by studad, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    SVR sent the correct bolts for the caliper to bracket mount that arrived today in the mail. Great customer service, DP you probably got yours today too.
  2. doogiepooch

doogiepooch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm taking a small percentage of credit for this :y0!:lol3

Where you been...under a rock? :roflPersonally the Ninja 250 didn't have enough umph for the highway. Tons of folks do it, just wasn't for me, after one trip above 70 mph I sold it. And I'm not scared of speed I just hated the strained feel. The 300 is so different and so much better in the power department, I took it cross country and back. Will cruise at 80+ in comfort.

Probably are in my mailbox, I wouldn't know I'm 350 miles away in one of the armpits of the south. :becca

Your kid want a rack and a seat? I've been bitten by the trading bug, so far I haven't been able to shake it. I'm trying but it's not going well. :hmmmmm
  3. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll let him know about them. PM prices when you have time.

You inspired by ebay air box purchase! Now, will you come help me do the 15 hour install? :lol3

Seriously, anyone taken one out in one piece? I chopped mine apart to save time. Looks like I have to disassemble the entire bike, put the air box on a stand and just start building the bike around it. It must be the first part on the assembly line! :rofl
  4. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    In prep for my air box arriving tomorrow I started to strip the old gal. I think she might just stay 1/4 faired in the end.

[​IMG]
  5. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uh, sorry Navin - Fail!
  6. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    +1
  7. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:
    Not sure how similar the air box is to the old ninja 250 (07 or older), but I found that taking the rear wheel and shock off made it so the easiest way to get it out. Straight out the back.
  8. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl

I'll try it from every angle, starting from the rear! Thank you!
  9. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    DON'T!!!!!

The air box must be the starting point on the assembly line and everything is built around it. I remember why I chopped my original out not!

[​IMG]
  10. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate wrenching on this bike!

Back together. PITA X 1000.

[​IMG]

Only a few extra parts!
  11. doogiepooch

doogiepooch Long timer

Oddometer:

You were on the right track...you could pull this off.
    [​IMG]
  12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    My kid that bought one saw it stripped. He asked, "uh, where is the frame?".

:rofl

I wouldn't trust this thing as an Adv rally bike. Well, OK, I wouldn't trust myself. Rally looking might be OK but I'd not want to really ride this off road like I did my 950 Adv or SE KTMs. :evil
  13. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pods back to air box... OK, there is a difference. If you want the best power, pods are better than the full box. They come with a price!

Area P dropped me another free tune (thanks Kerry!) and I went for a test ride. Bike pulls just fine but lacks the immediacy and strength of the pod tune.

On the good side, I can hear the gentle whine of the engine again instead of the suction drone and nasal Buuuuuuuuuuwaaaaaaa. Maybe one of the least flattering engine sounds you can have. :lol3

I will not miss that! Worth trying just because but if you like your hearing, leave the air box in place! It also took me around 5 hours of steady wrenching to unbuild the body and get the damn thing back together. This was not a fun job. The entire front side panel/tank and tail section top and bottom had to come apart to get to everything I needed to unhook and re-hook.

The reflash was a treat. Hook in the cable, push a button on the lap top and finished. :freaky
  14. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    So are you saying that you get more hp/tq with individual air filter pods instead of the air box? Do you have a dyno sheet that shows the difference? What exactly is the difference in hp/tq? I've always heard that you actually lose hp/tq when going to the filter pods. Are you saying that the air box doesn't pull as hard down low or up top also?
  15. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have a dyno run, and the tune changed too but Area P has the dyno charts on their website iirc.

It lost a bit everywhere, I noticed it most at 6-7k up at WFO. Not a massive difference, but it is definitely different when ridden the first time. I had the pods on for several thousand miles. It was quite obvious it lacked that extra bit of snap.
  16. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. ioflying

ioflying Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Funny you mention that as recently on my last ride I was thinking I need to get my carbon can repacked as it is seeming really loud to me these days ;)

You know one thing I really liked with the stock system was deceleration down a mountain sounded soooo nice. You could hear the whine of the straight cut gears...very nice

[​IMG]
  18. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes! The soft, soothing gear whine. I'm lovin it. I only ever did an exhaust on my 3 KTM 950s out of a couple dozen street bikes, and they had great V twin sound thru very quiet cans. 2 had FMF Q4 Ti and one had Guialdi. Anyway, the 300 sounds like shat with an opened exhaust IMO.

I took a lap around my club MX track to survey the damage from last weekends event. I still think this engine in an Adv frame with decent legs would be a great package. 21/18 and 8" of travel. I suspect the stock frame might not last long under duress though. :lol3

[​IMG]
  19. feline

feline Purrrrrrrrrrs!

Oddometer:
    Cool photo, Navin! I find I'm liking the stock exhaust just fine. I rode it up the cabin today. Half that ride is on interstate, and it did great at 70-72mph. I'm pleasantly surprised how smooth it is through the footpegs. My ZX6R used to put my toes to sleep! Believe it or not, I'm finding the stock seat to be fine so far. I hit 600 miles today, so it must go in for its first service. Last tank of gas gave me 68mpg, and that was with some spirited mountain road riding!
  20. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stock seat and I did not get along, + my legs needed more seat height. Glad it works for you!

72 MPH? Don't fear the top of the tach feline! I'm playing with mine on stock gearing again. +9k RPM cruising is fine on this bike.