Love me some Airhawk

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by David Shapiro, Dec 2, 2012.

1. David Shapiro

David Shapiro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got an Airhawk seat on my bike, for what is probably the last ride of the season. OMFG, did my ass thank me. That really annoying numb butt feeling that I would get after 45 minutes or so, just never happened. What a relief. Just wish I had put it on years ago.

David
  2. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    my ass likes mine as well.
  3. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    well, your ass is thanking you, but have you noticed how your package is, now? no? you'll figure it out in a few more rides !:D

its because the human body is made to take a bit more pressure in some points while sitting. But airhawk evens everything out. You end up with other kind of pains. You'll know.

I basically still shift a lot, but the stingny pain after 400mi is gone, that I admit. just have to manage the time with and without the airhawk, if you can shove it in a luggage (which you likely have if you deserved an airhawk).

Oh, dont ride in rain with it. Not that it does anything to it, but think about when the sun is back and you remove the rain gear... the seat is still wet.
  4. araspitfire

araspitfire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an AirHawk2, which put pressure on the tackle... I used it after the 2nd fuel stop.. then swapped it out every fuel stop therafter... extended my day enormously.

Now I have an Airhawk R.. this has a center channel with no air-pads... I'm between bikes at present so haven't tried it out yet to see how much it improves, but early next year I'll test it.

Al...
  5. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Turns a DR into a mega mile eater:deal

[​IMG]
  6. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riding on dirt roads isn't fun either, it's like having someone punching you in the nuts continually - not QUITE hard enough to make you cry - but close.

Of coarse, if that's your thing :huh you are good on all fronts.

Pete
  7. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a pair for me and the wife. We both hated them. I guess after a few decades of sitting on hard seats, we didn't like the difference. Luckily we found someone to buy them.
  8. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if I can glue down a couple center cells to emulate that...With a seringe then patching the hole. ah these diy guys...
  9. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    The airhawk didn't suit my butt either. I need to be able to shift around in the seat to to put pressure on different areas, the airhawk makes that impossible.
  10. watchmen

watchmen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I loved my airhawk when I first got it. It greatly increased my riding capabilities. I had tried the walmart ATV cushion and a sheepskin in the past and neither really suited me. The airhawk made everything all better. It took awhile to get used to in the twisties and long downhill sections. If I was going to do that riding for awhile, I mostly took it off and put it back on when I was done. About half a year ago I got a custom seat made and I haven't used the airhawk since then. I found the custom seat and sheepskin was my favorite combo but it was around 600 dollars. For 100 dollars, I loved my airhawk and recommend it to anyone that isn't wanting to spend the money on a custom seat.
  11. RDT953

RDT953 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the hawk with the channel down the middle, I experimented a bit with the pressure until I found what worked for me and then I covered it with a custom made sheepskin cover, bliss. I can ride for hours with this arrangement.
  12. Flashdog

Flashdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had two Airharks now. They are worth every dime to me.
  13. AMSBIKER

AMSBIKER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ditto for me, I only use it on long rides thou. Takes a bit of fiddling about to get it right. Main error is to have too much air in it.

AB
  14. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    Grossly ugly but pretty effective IMO. Who cares how ugly they really are on a WeeStrom anyway?Take them off when you wash the bike. They trap water underneath like mad.
  15. Blindstitch

Blindstitch Supertanker Captain

Oddometer:
    I used the Airhawk for the test period and then returned it. On my Cx650 Custom it only extended the riding pleasure by maybe 30 minutes and then there was no more.

I eventually bought a Gl650I Silverwing and used the airhawk for a week and found that I didn't need it. But since I took a train to pick up the bike and a 1000 mile ride home I used it since I didn't have a place to put it. The airhawk worked fine. Seemed like that whole trip I got caught in the rain. The good thing about the airhawk is you don't really get a wet behind. Water might pool up under you but you're not in contact. If the rain clears just wipe the seat down and keep going. Everything will air dry.

It is a great product for those who need it. And the Air Hawk R might even be a better model with the extra room and no pressure on the package.
  16. edtheslowrider

edtheslowrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy dead thread Batman!

After about 5K miles of my Airhawk R on my Ducati Monster, I can say the tears have stopped. I've done up to 550 ass-hurt free miles in a day, which is plenty for me and my Monster.
    I don't move off the seat often, just need to be a bit more deliberate if I do.
    Not alot of pretty going on there. But touring on the Monster ain't about pretty.
    Except, pretty damn fun.