North American Tag-O-Rama!

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Blinkerfluid, Feb 1, 2009.

1. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Egg is in Kansas City, MO. I hoped to place Egg last weekend however my bike needed a part that did not make it to the shop in time. I should be able to hide Egg this weekend.

I did not place the Egg while I was traveling in TX and LA because I wanted to do a little customizing. Egg is covered with names so I did not want to overwrite anyone. I added my personal geocoin to the container.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used only one bolt so my coin could be twisted so geocachers can "discover" the coin and so others could see the Rounders sticker.
  2. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Is there a map of where eggy has been that I'm missing? I'd be happy to grab it and take it with me to the great white north for a while...
  3. KingJarhead

KingJarhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was a USB drive with eggy that had locations of where he has been, not sure if it still is. I might have a copy on my laptop if you want it.
  4. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    the USB drive is there but I did not see anything but a few pictures on it.
  5. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    A spreadsheet with a history log was on the thumb drive when I had it in Michigan. The locations were up to date at that time.
  6. KingJarhead

KingJarhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a copy from whenI grabbed the Egg in July 2011. It is current till then. I backed up all the contents. If you would like, pm me an e-mail address and I will send it to you.
  7. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Egg is traveling in SE KS. He will be dropped sometime this weekend.

[​IMG]

Better pictures when I post the hide.
  8. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Kingjarhead - pm'd ya!
  9. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    I placed Egg. I don't recall seeing the file of where the Egg has traveled. Please send the file to me and if Egg is not picked up, maybe reload it on the flash drive.
  10. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Egg and I left KC to explore SE Kansas on Friday.

Egg being single does not have to worry about this:

[​IMG]
  11. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Most people were taught that the first battle of Lincoln's War was in the East, when the South were provoked to fire on Fort Sumter on April 12-13, 1861. However some historians consider the Battle of Black Jack (June 2, 1856) to be the first battle of the Civil War. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Black_Jack John Brown and his army of free-staters attached Henry Pate and his army (near Baldwin City, KS).

[​IMG]

After visiting the battlefield we stumbled across a cemetery and Indian Mission I have never seen before:

[​IMG]

The inscriptions on the tablets read: "1845-1936. The Ottawa Indian Mission Burying Ground, graves of J. Meeker, founder, Chief Comechau and Notino, the Medicine Man. J. T. Jones, founder of O.U." "1845-1936. Jotham Meeker, first printer and publisher in Indian Territory (Kansas) at Shawnee 1833. moved his press here 1849. Edward Hand Chapter D.A.R. 1936."

This is all I can find about the Mission http://www.visitottawakansas.com/cms.php?NorthEastDrivingTour.php : " Reverend Jotham Meeker’s second mission here included a meeting house moved from his first mission site on the river in 1844, school, print shop and farm buildings. The open space in the center of the gravestones is the site of the log church. Meeker is buried north of the church site, and John T. “Tauy” Jones to the south. Note the Indian graves marked by piles of native stone. Two Ottawa chiefs, Notino and Compchau, are buried in graves marked by modern stones. Meeker’s press was the first one in Kansas Territory, and was used to produce Indian language hymnals, prayer books and laws for the Shawnees and the Ottawa’s, using a syllabify of his own invention. This method of transcribing Indian languages which had no written form, used English letters for native syllables. After Meeker’s death in 1855, the mission fell into disrepair. The Kansas Anthropological Association excavated the site in 1988, identifying the location of the house, print shop and church."

Here are some pictures of the Cemetery:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The stone piles are the graves of the Indians:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After visiting the historic cemetery Egg stayed the night at my cabin in Linn County, KS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next day Egg did a little single track, nothing hard where he could get scrambled but still a lot of fun:

[​IMG]
  12. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    After a little single track off Egg goes to explore more of SE Kansas:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Egg made it into the Flint Hill of Kansas. The Flint Hills are amazing. In the Spring the fields of native grass will all be burned. Within a few weeks after the burn the hills are solid green like a golf course but prettier.

[​IMG]

Edd spent a lot of time on gravel while traveling with me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The depot is in Eureka, KS.

[​IMG]
  13. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
  14. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    This is where you will find the Egg.

[​IMG]

When the Mission Band of Potawatomi arrived at Osawatomie, Kansas, on November 4, 1838, winter was coming on and there were no houses, despite the government promise. The newly-arrived Potawatomi heard about the Sugar Creek Mission about 20 miles south and moved there. Though they still had no houses, they found shelter along the steep rocky walls of the creek bank, where they could hang blankets and keep warm with camp fires. Thus they spent that first winter in Kansas. http://www.potawatomi-tda.org/kansas/sugarcre.htm

[​IMG]

Mother Rose Philippine Duchesne http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Philippine_Duchesne came in 1841 to teach the Potawatomi. She established the first Indian school for girls west of the Mississippi River. At age 72 and in failing health, she was not able to work. She dedicated herself primarily to a ministry of contemplative prayer. Noticing that she was praying at night and still praying in the same position the next morning, the Indian children placed pebbles around her long black robe. Discovering the pebbles undisturbed, they realized she was praying all night. The Indians named her “Woman Who Prays Always.” She was canonized in 1988, the first female saint west of the Mississippi River.

[​IMG]

To find the Egg look for the above. SE of it will be a path of the Stations of the Cross. Find this Station:

[​IMG]

Just to the West is a tree:

[​IMG]

On the South Side of the tree is an hollow area under the roots where you will find Egg:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Egg is well hidden:

[​IMG]

This road to the park and in the park is a well maintained gravel road.
  15. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:
    Woo-Hoo!!!

well alright peoples.........GAME ON!!! :clap

Great drop Jayhawkfan!!
  16. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Great job. I enjoyed the history lesson. :clap
  17. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    Very Nice!
  18. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Recycled cue balls.

:1drink
  19. yoACrides

yoACrides Late Learnin Yearner

Oddometer:
    Picked the egg up yesterday afternoon. :D

[​IMG]

It was a long ride, with many more miles ahead. I'll leave more information when I'm able! Here's the grab shot.

[​IMG]

I'm off to Kentucky now, then back up to New York. Gimme a few more days...:evil
  20. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Nice bike. Long time lurker? Or did you just get your other username perma-banned? lol