BigDogs Life with a Husky 2006 TE610

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by BigDogAdventures, Dec 10, 2005.

1. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been hesitant to start this report as the Husky has only been test ridden on pavement at the dealers----but after looking it over there is a lot to say about the bike---most things better, a couple worse and some really neat stuff. And yes---all the snow and ice is my fault--I'm so sorry--the purchase of this bike has reversed "Global Warming".
    [​IMG]
    And yes there is much more to come.

Edit---12-27-12. The Husky is long gone--it served me well---sold it to FishFund and he rode it thru Mexico to South America---what a read that was. Heck that bike may be at the bottom of a snake infested alligator swamp for all I know. Then it went thru another owner or two---and as of this day of 12-7-15 is still running.
  2. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to here your reports. Love my Huskys and know the warts as well as the good,
    Norman
  3. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    I bought this bike to replace my "6th gear-less" 2000 Suzuki DRZ400S which was an absolute wonderful bike---it caused me absolutely no problems after many hard offroad miles. I'm not one to ride with a leash on me (haul to the local ATV area) and ride around in circles. The lack of 6th gear led me to selling the DRZ and getting the Husky. It almost weighs the same as the DRZ, and is as slim----including that little itty bitty tiny narrow seat. And with 53 hp with a great mid-range it seemed the way to go. And did I mention it has a 6th gear !!! 70 is just cruising-----and first gear seems fine--although it hasn't seen the trails yet. I am always for slipping the clutch if first is too tall and keeping my top end.
    Yeh--that's a big pipe. I bet I keep it tho--has a nice sound and I hear European stock exhausts breathe better than Japanese stockers.

[​IMG]

You can see here how really slim the bike is---I like it that away. Those skinny seat don't bother me like some people. I stand up a lot and move around though. If I'm going to ride 1,400 miles to the start of the ride-----I'll hope the 950 or KLR would make a better choice.
    [​IMG]

My dealer tells me Husky is working on a bigger tank---but could give me no other details. A call to IMS put to rest rumors of a tank from them anytime soon----"We have no intention of making a tank for this bike--but keep checking". I'm sure the new tank will take the place of the radiator shrouds-------I'm hoping for 5 gallons and really don't want one bigger. If the stock tank really is 3.7 gallons, it will be OK for most rides.
    [​IMG]

On the left is the cam driven water pump---and I hope they didn't get as much silicone gasket sealer inside the motor as they did on the outside.
    In the middle you see 2 things---a black choke knob---I like it at the carb---you don't need the choke very often and having a bar mounted lever and the associated cable just asks for trouble--the less the better--I can reach down there.
    The red knob---is a hot start button in case you flood the thing I guess. It seems a hot start button is the rage for all the new watercooled 4-storkes---we'll see how that works out down the trail.
    The main petcock is on the right side--the one you see here is just to shut off the balance fuel line that keeps fuel level in the tank and lets you use all the fuel without tipping the bike on it's side---yeh, I like that. The main petcock is manual only--no vacumm aperatus there---the simpler the better I say.
    Speaking of chokes and fuel----this thing will start no matter how cold it is. If the choke won't get it----just twist the throttle a few times and the accelerater pump will give it what it needs. I've had a lot of trouble starting bikes at 20°--not this baby. The battery size looks healthy.
    [​IMG]
  4. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Holy hole in the Ozone

Look at all this crap that fell off my bike :D
    And they said it didn't vibrate :rofl
    [​IMG]

Just start yanking hoses--and keep yanking--and keep yanking. the only thing you need to plug is the vacuum line between the carb and head.
    Now the carb is a different story-----there are 5---yes 5--count'em Five clear hoses off the Keihin flat slide carburator that tee'd into all the mess above. One was off the carb bowl drain--now what in the hell was that suppose to do. I just removed the bowl drain tube---and the other 4 I tee'd together ran them up under the tank and turned down so crap couldn't fall in. No jetting or performance change here---this stuff just pulls fumes off the tank--into the cannister---then you fall over--the cannister fills with fuel--then your bike won't run.
    [​IMG]
    There are 2 lines at the front of the tank--one is merely to drain the gas cap area from water or gas---it just needs to go to the ground. The other vented the tank to the cannister----I ran it to the ground for now--but may do something different later.
  5. gaspipe

gaspipe 50 years in the saddle! Old School ADV

Oddometer:
    :lurk

My TC450 will probably never get dual sported. Maybe I shoulda held out for a TE610.... :scratch

Nice bike Mark! :nod
  6. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Turn that light off---my grips and vest are getting cold :vardy
    I like this----a headlight switch---what happened to those things anyway :huh
    Yep---as far as I know this is illegal in the U.S.---you won't tell on me will ya ???
    3 postion---first postion is off---second turns on the tail light and a really tiny bulb in the headlight that will make the cops think you've got your headlight on as long as your in the daylight---and 3rd and last---a real headlight switch.
    I have always put headlight switches on all my bikes that have a wattage output of 280 watts or less. Keeps my heated grips and vest nice and toasty and makes cold weather starts up better--Husky just saved me the trouble. I still don't know how many watts this bike puts out but you can bet it's less than 280----I'm thinkin' maybe a lot less.
    [​IMG]
    Turn signal switch is a push to cancel---I'll keep them.

Well--you can just pop the rubbers out for some real dirt pegs--kind of narrow--but good enough for me.
    [​IMG]

Didn't know I was getting this thing----they don't put it on as I think some people wouldn't want it on there I suppose. You've got to drill some big holes in your rear fender to mount it---but it's pretty nice. Yeh--I want that sucker. I think the aluminum subframe will support it.
    By the way--there are some factory soft panniers coming for this thing---Husky has provided no imformation to the dealer. No pics, info, delivery date--nothing !!!! Says they will "clip" on. Can't wait to see these.
    [​IMG]

This airbox cover has me worried. My fingers point out the air intake. I've never seen a dirt bike that didn't draw it's air from the top of the air-box. If water rises to the height of the carb intake---it's going in. I'm not happy about this set-up at all.
    [​IMG]
  7. biodegraded

biodegraded Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  8. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    I've ran out of pictures---- but as some know--not out of words :rofl

Brakes---awesome----to do a stoppie--follow these 2 easy steps.
    1. Ride my KLR---and stop.
    2. Ride my 610---and stop :poser

Clutch action---awesome--same as DRZ

Tires----Metzeler Karoos.

Seat---little skinny thing that pops off with one Zeus (did I spell that right) fastener which exposes the battery--nothing else under there--no room to pack anything. No airbox inlet :huh

Suspension---who knows---it's not got out of the garage---but sure looks impressive--fully adjustable front and rear. Sachs rear shock and Marzochhiii (now I know I didn't spell that right) on the front with an air bleeder.

Tool kit-----a spark plug wrence and a axle wrench that does't fit.

Jetting---even with the little time I've rode it--it seems spot on. It is definitely not lean as jetting always is. In very cold weather it starts right up and you can push in the choke very quicklly.

Muffler---somewhere I thought I read it had a catalyctic converter in it---doesn't say so on all the data inscribed on it. Nice mellow sound -----and is all stainless and aluminum--no steel here.

I think the bars are aluminum.

Valve adjustments-. Single overhead cam with threaded----yes you heard me right---threaded adjusters. Kind of old school maybe--but so am I.

Very nice digital dash with all those nice hand dandy readouts and 2 trip meters. Lots of nice lights---a green light to tell you that your headlight is on. And lo and behold-------an oil indicator that comes on at 600 miles and every 3,100 miles thereafter to tell you to change the oil. I read one post where a guy seen this come on and thought he had lost oil pressure---who'd a thought. And last but not least--a digital tachometer and a light to tell you, you have over revved it.

Kick starter-----I haven't found the thing yet-----oh there it is---how in the heck am I going to get my foot up to that little red kickstarter !!

Well---the dealer said you can put one on it--and I can see the rubber plug on the sidecase where it would go--hey--they put it on the right side finally. To keep with Husky tradition---they should have put the electric starter button on the left side :D

I've ordered cycra pro-bend guards for the handlebars and "Hot Grip" brand grip heaters. Need to order a skid plate yet.

Wheels----------Excel---------no KTM rubber wheels here !!!!

I was getting desperate for a serious bike with a big single motor----and I'm not as young as GasPipe who can kick a BRP with no problem. Hope this bike works out.

Halls Cycle in Springfield, Illinois sold me this bike. I was so impressed with their shop. Everybody in the shop raced---even the owner who I never met cause he was up to his elbows in fork oil dialing in someones suspension. And old school dealer. They even disassembled the swingarm, head bearings and rear suspension linkage for lubing---now who else is going to do that ?? By the way 2 of the pivot points on the linkage had grease fittings--I am still mad at Honda for taking these off their XR's.

My last and only Husky was a brand new 1979 CR390 automatic (yes--I am that old)---the only moto-X auto I ever saw. I loved that bike for 30 days---then hated it and sold it.

I'm sorry the rest is probably a long way off----as I said---I have reversed "Global Warming" it seems.

9. Para504

Para504 Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer:
    Looks like an awesome dual sport! Finally, a company to make hardcore dual sports out of the box! Not slamming Suzuki; they had a decent one, but not like the Huskys... Looking forward to hearing the riding experience when things thaw out (or before!) :vardy
  10. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does it or does it not vibrate? I have an MZ with the Yam660 motor. I may be willing to buy the new Husky if its as smooth and strong as the 660.

Thanks
  11. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    My '03 has Behr rims and I sproinged front on a rock ledge eroded in a fast woods road. Excels are a big plus on '06. Airbox is similar on '03 and you have to watch deep water. I think fuel tank is 3.1 not 3.7 gals, '06 seat is narrower, but tank is wider than '03, which is only 2.4 gals. I rode my dealer's '06 demo and was impressed, still had good street manners, but just a click more dirt oriented than my '03. I installed kick start on my '03 and it doesn't spin fast enough for auto decomp to work. You need to install manual decomp from left kick Husky to finish the job. I was the first person to ask for it at my dealer and no one was aware of this. After spending a bunch off money for the kick start I decided to cut my losses. I since bought a kick only TE400 and this winter I'll pull manual decomp and try it on TE610E. I also learned later that George Erl of Up-Tite Husky doesn't recommend installing kick start on TE610E. Keep it comming as weather permits.
    Norman
  12. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    No---I was kidding about the parts falling off---it has a counterbalancer and is very smooth-----I'm sure it's not as powerful as your 660----and it's not near as powerful as a KTM 640. There is no hit with this motor---just smooth linear midrange----just what I want. And after all--it's really only 570cc's .---just right for me !!!
  13. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    No, actually it's Dzus. But who gives a fuck? Good report but does it vibrate?
  14. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like an awsome bike. Husqvarna's fit, finish and attention to detail is very impressive. Even my 95' WXC250 came with excel wheels (which are still in decent shape after lots of abuse).
  15. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I'm watching your thread with great interest. I have a 640 Adventure that I like, except for the vibration. I'm not really pleased with KTM USA and I hate my local dealer. Two blocks away and they are useless. A Harley dealer who has KTM's taking up good Harley space.

Halls is the closest dealer to me, even though they are 4 hours away. But I have to order everything from the local shop, so what does it matter?

I would think the two bikes would have similiar power. I had mine dynoed, 40hp at the rear wheel (stock with exception of jetting and slight airbox and exhaust mods.) If Husky says 53hp at the crankshaft, I bet it works out to a little more than the Adventure. I used to have a Duke with a 41FCR and pipe and it ran much harder than my Adventure.

Keep the report coming......Thanks
  16. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Reading with great interest as I wait for the SMR610 I have on order. From what I've read on other forums, its kinda a necessity to rejet the carb and uncork the pipe to get good power. The cat is in the pipe similar to new BMWs, probably why its so friggin big. One guy reports 52hp dyno tested with a pipe and rejetting. I'm probably doing a slip-on and the rejet when mine gets here.

Keep an eye around the head gasket. Alot of people have reported leaks. A re-torqueing following a few heat cycles might be a good idea.
  17. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Holy smoke, that could be a stopper! Is the seat really tight to the top of the airbox, or is there enough room for maybe a D-I-Y cut the top of the box (and close up the side intakes) mod here? Maybe they gave you the SM airbox by accident!

I am looking for a replacement for my recently sold DRZ, and I have had my DRZ through higher water than that, and this would be a real worry for me.
  18. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    The airbox is on the side---not the top---the whole airbox is not under the seat like on all bikes--it is on the side---yeah weird.
  19. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    Single shock Huskys in the '80's all had side airbox, my '87 430WR 2 stroke had it. Cagiva 2 stroke influence put airbox in center WR, CR,WXE and C with dzus fastener seat coming in '92. The '98-'04 TE610E has battery in theside airbox. The TE610 is the last of a line of single cam/single shock Huskys that go back to '86, so they aren't strange if your used to Huskys.
  20. gaspipe

gaspipe 50 years in the saddle! Old School ADV

Oddometer:
    Sorry Mark. No deep water for you. :nono

Apologies if it offends, but I think you need to name this bike the "Guinea Pig" - the rare and esoteric cousin to gaspipe's garden variety big red pig.

We need to get a ride together when that white stuff goes away: The BigDog/Gaspipe Pig Ride '06, or something like that.

No matter what, that Husky is a darned nice bike.