Best Long Distance Gear?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Dan Alexander, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    I've read quite a few threads on the best dual sport gear, and since I just replied to a thread about what's your longest ride ever, it got me thinking. What do you LD guys use??
  2. moymurfs

moymurfs Truth has become unacceptable.

Oddometer:
    TT gas tank
    Russell seat
    Camelback
    XM radio
    Stich'
    Under Armor
    Cooling vest if needed

!! Proper mindset !!
  3. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    I've been searching around for fuel cells and have some ideas for the passenger seat.

Figure the stitch is the best, even with today's new gear? I almost bid on one on ebay today and had it in Auctionsniper but at the last minute I bailed out. I still remember long rides on my KRS cooking my gonads in my old stitch :eek1 I sold it 15 years ago but I do remember the convenience too. I've got high hopes for Olympia or Revit or Tourmaster just not decided which one yet.
  4. moymurfs

Oddometer:
    Get what works for YOU. regardless of the thousands of opinions. Be fore-warned it may take trial and error...
    As for distance equipment, each farkle (for me) has eliminated an annoyance..ie butt sore = Russell fix, Stops for gas = TT tank, too hot = cooling vest..boredom = XM and so on and so on...I have reduced MY annoyances pretty much down to just 1......bladder :lol3 , that I keep scheduled with the TT tank if ya know what I mean.
  5. rodentface

rodentface Maximus - Dorkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    You need a Stadium Pal, the ultimate portable urinal...as long as you don't mind steaming hot piss streaming down a tube and settling around your calf. Hopefully your experience will be better than the one David Sedaris had.
  6. TexBiker

TexBiker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife and I wore 1pc and 2pc Aerostich suits for over 10yrs and they were the best suits for a long time. However, they haven't kept up with the times, IMO. Better designs and materials are available, but they still put out the same basic suit from the early 90's. Kinda like Kawasaki and the KLR/Concours...except Kawi was smart enough to update them both last year.

We switched to Olympia gear (AST/Ranger II and Phantom) and the quality of materials/armor, features and comfort is much better than our last 'Stich suits.
  7. Deleted4248

Deleted4248 Guest

Removal of any annoyance or distraction ought to be your first priority, as your safety may depend on that. Specially when dealing with heavy traffic or night time riding....
    You will get 10000000000000000000 responses but the best thing to keep in mind is that whatever you do it has to work for YOU... YMMV
  8. moymurfs

Oddometer:
    I know I "could" address the bladder issue if I reeaally wanted to ...but I'm not that hard core :eek1 .......I'll stop and take a leak if I need to :wink: I'm ok with it. really..
  9. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    I like that idea of the Stadium Pal, but for the bike, just have the tube run down inside your pant leg and out the bottom. Is that what a Texas Catheter is?

Thanks TexBiker, that's the type of good comparative opinion I was looking for.... 'tried em both and liked this better because ...' The Stitch I bought in '87 is still basically the same as today's. I haven't tried an AST yet but it looks good so far.

I've still got a sheepskin pad I bought at the MOA rally in Duquoin in '92 .. good stuff. When it's not on the bike I use it on my computer chair at home. Not much gear lasts that long without getting updated!
  10. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    I think that's great advice, ride and concentrate on what isn't working and figure a solution. I'll be trying a lot of new stuff this year as I'm going nuts on the 'new' to me GS. My GF is sure I've got OCD, her and my son now refuse to talk about bikes with me :eek1
  11. AK Bear

AK Bear Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the thing that made my 1000+ ride easy was the Aeroflow half fairing. Also a good set custom earbuds from Ear inc. make the milse easy.
  12. space

space a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer:
    Let's see ....

* iPod with Ear Inc custom earphones
    * Sargeant saddle
    * Camelbak (OK, some generic brand, really) -- make sure the spout can bend 90 degrees and be easily operated with one hand!
    * Aux tank -- brings my total capacity up to 11 gallons
    * Rev'it Off-track jacket with Dakar pants, zipped together and with upgraded back armor
    * Rain jacket -- the Rev'it jacket is great, but with as many zippers as it has, it is not 100% waterproof and windproof. My Firstgear rain jacket is.
    * GPS
    * Good helmet with some built-in anti-fog system -- I love my Arai, and I'll be installing a Pinlock visor in it this week
    * Throttle lock
    * Aux lighting or HIDs -- for the 1150GS, anyhow, as the stock headlight sucks
    * An orange and some granola bars in the topcase
    * Tools, spares, etc.
    * Good shocks! -- they make a big difference on how quickly the bike wears you down, in my experience
    * In the same vein, a windscreen that works for you
    * Smartire tire pressure monitors -- for instant checking and peace of mind

And if it's cold:
    * Hippohands
    * Heated jacket under my Rev'it gear
    * Heated socks -- not necessary, but oh so nice
    * Balaclava

Probably other stuff I'm forgetting, but I think those are all the important items.

Oh yeah! -- a CAMERA in your pocket, and the good sense to STOP if you see something worth taking a picture of. I always wind up regretting it if I don't!

Check out ironbutt.org for more tips.
  13. drneo

drneo mmm... delicious

Oddometer:
    3 words: find comfortable earplugs
  14. GoFar

GoFar My butt hurts.

Oddometer:
    One piece of advice: save your dollars and buy good quality equipment. You won't be sorry. It's monkey see monkey do, but experimenting rarely yields favorable results, and you'll end up spending even more money to buy the gear you should have bought in the first place!

Second peice of advice: Buy gear that fits. I would avoid mail order with the exception of Rider Warehouse (aerostich).

Third peice of advice; avoid cotton in either summer or winter. It sucks.
  15. OffRoadCruiser

OffRoadCruiser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, I don't know anything about the Wine Rack but the ad is worth reading:
    http://www.thebeerbelly.com/The_Winerack_p/200-007.htm

Only works if you have a female passenger!!!! :deal

Not recommended for riders. :rofl

I appreciate all the good advice posted.
  16. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on everything said here i will add highway pegs an standing. moving around and streaching, as well as knowing your limits

damasovi
  17. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Like you've already done, ditch the 'stich and go for Olympia (or even REVIT if thats what you prefer)

Doesnt your bike have tubed tires?
  18. mleir

mleir Evil Doer

Oddometer:
    I'm a big fan of 'stich. I've worn the same one through 3 IBRs and its still very solid. I did send it back in for maint. last year. I also have the same CBTs for 3 IBRs.

Outside of that here are some other things:
    • comfy ear plugs. I use 3M's
    • iPod
    • J&M CB system
    • Garmin 2610
    • BlackBerry, for phone, email and on the go searches
    • Gerbing electric jacket and gloves (gloves only get used sub 35 degrees)
    • Russel seat
    • HIDs
    • Fuel Cell gets my Adv just over 11 gallons (custom made by fellow ADVer)
    • Metzler Tourances
    • All pre and post IBR service done by Earl Moon @ Moon Motorsports
    • Camel Back
    • TT tank bag