What do I need to do before I fly, buy, and ride back?

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by zippitydooda, Mar 14, 2012.

1. zippitydooda

zippitydooda n00b

Oddometer:
    So I want to fly possibly 700 miles away to buy a bike, if the deal goes through. Then ride the bike back home. What do I need to do as far as insurance/registration/licence plate? Thanks
  2. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    You probably want to insure it (just get the VIN from the current owner), but other then that you really don't need to worry about the rest until you get it home.
  3. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    +1 I'd give both state's title transfer rules a read, but other than that what Albie said.
  4. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    dont forget that BILL OF SALE!
  5. Dragon43

Dragon43 If you insist.

Oddometer:
    Don't be stupid until you get home & tagged and have the ambulance standing by. What about weather? Tools or how good of shape is it in?

Do you have a deadline you will be worried about on the trip back? (bad)

I am the worry wart here... :D
  6. Electrode

Electrode KW/HP Driven

Oddometer:
    Do you know how to fix a flat?, Is there a center stand on the bike?, Do you have a spare tube to carry with you? Make sure you treat this trip like all others so you wont get standed on the side of the road....If you do break down...Make sure you have a back up plan.
  7. JPSpen

JPSpen At Large

Oddometer:
    Depends on........Well, There is a lot of depends on here... How old a bike ? How many miles ? What kind of shape ?

Has it been serviced recently ?

700 miles is not all that far in the grand scheme of things, But you want to be sure the bike will make it....

Good Luck,

John
  8. Grits&Gravy

Grits&Gravy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just acquired another bike from out of state and was gonna do the similar thing for 450 miles, but ended up with a change of plans and just trailered the bike back. Anyhow, in addition to having insurance, bill of sale, and an out of state title being properly filled out, you will also need to have the person fill out Texas form 130-U. You can get a copy of it here http://www.txdmv.gov/whatyouneed/forms/titles_registration.htm

Good Luck and Congratulations!!