Signs of the times

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by dduelin, May 1, 2012.

1. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  2. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    Well that owner may be justly proud to have an exhaust that's less dangerous to bystanders.

[​IMG][​IMG]

There are some mobile, and usually not mobile, human structures that have dangerous regions at their stern ends.

[​IMG]

Air-diluted Exhaust Emissions

3. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Sounds like Chrysler's "Lean Burn" experiments. Circa 1976. Opened the door to computer engine controls; but the extremely-lean fuel ratio didn't work so well in practice.

I'm always skeptical of new, miraculous technologies, proven in press releases. There are always operators out there trying to sell something or some idea; and to many of them, truth is a tool and facts don't matter.

Like this "carbon footprint" stuff. I can think of a thousand good reasons to ride. Reducing carbon dioxide, which is a very small percentage of atmospheric gases...is NOT one of them.
  4. knucklehead90

knucklehead90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Carbon footprint: another euphemism for forcing the masses to part with their money needlessly - carbon credits anyone? C02 a pollutant? No - its plant food.
  5. creighta

creighta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    COMING OUT OF AN ICE AGE

Yup, it is getting warmer, but that just means more good days for riding. What a convenient truth.

:freaky
  6. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    The BIG trouble is . . . unlike plants we, along with the animal kingdom and the life in the sea, cannot breath carbon dioxide.

An ocean short of oxygen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Delivery . . . of . . . oxygen. Will this sight become more common?
  7. topless

topless Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll worry about my carbon footprint when everyone else has gone all electric in their home, 4&5 cyl turbo vehicles that get over 20 mpg, and commute on a scooter. Till then I've gonna have fun. BTW, I didn't do all that to cut down on my carbon footprint, I did it because I love turbo's and riding. I bought the house all electric, but not because it was all electric. My decisions about vehicles has to do with fun factor. Both are AWD, turbo's that look pedestrian, and are decently fast. I used to have some really fast cars, but with every single person over the age of 5 carrying a cell phone, most with camera's, a distinctive, loud car just gets you hassled or busted if you entertain yourself with speed. Besides, I'm older now and smart enough to know you can't drive a one of a kind car that offends as you go by at a high rate of speed. Now I go buy at a high rate of speed in a car that is much harder to identity and quiet.:evil
  8. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suddenly feel like going for another ride on my 2 stroke Stella.
  9. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    FWIW...electric appliances...yes, and cars...generate more, not less, pollution.

Electricity doesn't come from God....or from solar cells. It comes from generating plants.

Which burn coal.

At a thermal efficiency rate of about 20 percent.

That's less than HALF the thermal efficiency of an internal-combustion engine, which is about 40-45 percent. You'd be better served to get an old V-8 engine, set it up in the garage burning natural gas (of which we have plenty) and rig it to a large generator set. Power your appliances that way; and use the heat off the engine to heat your home in winter.
  10. knucklehead90

knucklehead90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not all electricity is generated by coal. I live in Washington State. We get the majority of our electricity from hydro power. Clean - no carbon footprint (a BS idea at best) - and it works day in and day out. We also have wind generators that cost an arm and a leg to operate - have a much higher carbon footprint than hydro power - and don't work when the wind doesn't blow.

So now the eco-freaks are bitching about all the birds that the windmills are killing. Never gonna make these idiots happy until we're all living in caves - so we may as well start building nuclear plants in a cookie cutter style. Approve a standard plant - add more reactors as needed to suit different areas - and viola! No carbon output - as if it really mattered anyway!
  11. rv-rick

rv-rick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the NIMBY effect. Remember the howl that the late Sen. Kennedy put up when they wanted to put up a wind farm off Cape Cod? I don't think they ever did get that approved and built.

Nuclear works, but don't tell that to the eco-freaks. They still think it will blow us all up. :lol3
  12. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    Your point is well-taken. The "carbon emissions" idea is fatuous at best - a "good" reason for doing what they want to do, which is de-industrialize the hinterlands. Notice while they're attacking oil, gas, and even coal, they're NOT promoting water or nuclear, two proven technologies. No, it's gotta be wind or solar - which can NOT work with today's technological equipment.

They do want us in caves; or in their cities where we can be easily controlled.
  13. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:

Your right! They's never gonna be satisfied.

They can kiss my ass and quit there bitchin!

I say screw all that bullshit. Like these people says global warming and all that shit. I say bullshit. Eventually we's gonna run out of gas I bet. So we should enjoy it while we can. Espically with them chinese getting cars and such.

And I think there ain't no big deal. Electric cars suck right now, period. For example, them there huge batteries ain't no good for the envirement when they goes bad, and they ain't cheap to replace either. Yea some energy come from them water plants, but not all lots of it still come from normal ways depends on where you live I reckon.

And electric cars aside from that still has lots of issues. Air Conditioning? Whatcha gonna do about it? Is there any in most? And if so, you'd sure as hell drain them batteries purdy quick with a big compressor. What about heating in the winter? Electric motors don't hardly generate much heat, and there ain't no radiator so no core=no engine heat to use. Your stuck with 3 options. Heat pump [use AC compresor with reversing valve which will quickly drain the battery, or electric resistance heaters, which will drain the batterys to empty in a matter of minutes. OR, I reckon the only real way, is a Propane/Kerosene heater. This would need special engineering to have in a car safely. Actually, it'd work well, it'd be like instant heat in the cold mornings. BUT, oh thats right! Youse burning fossil fuels or whatever, and basically polluting to some degree! Semi defeating the purpose of the electric car.

Now most of us bikers and scooterists put on a jacket and we's fine in the cold, but I don't believe these sissy tree hugger types will be satsfied with no heat in a car, nor will your average family or people. So no climate control in the car. Then, a limited range. Now for your average commute to work, you may be ok on a charge. But y'all that take your family to the beech? Not gonna happen. Or y'all that drive long distances? Good luck.

And, I don't think them electric companies can nearly provide the demand of an electric car in most homes. Hell they hardly can provide enough for high AC demands in the summer sometimes [=blackouts].

So these liberals tree hugger type can fuck off, I'll keep a driven my F250 with a 460 BB. If I need good MPG I got the scoot and bike.
  14. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    ...saw something interesting on youtube a few yrs back dispelling this global warming thing having anything to even do with our existence here as the founder of the weather channel explained it.
    The guy basically showed graphs that represented what scientists were showing in layers of the planet from core samples, that the Earth has been going through hot/cold cycles like we're experiencing now, long before we were ever here.

All this global warming B.S. is just like sports = it's a way to take your focus away from the things your Govt. is doing that actually negatively affects your life.
    IT'S A CONSPIRACY! Time to wake the fuck up and not believe EVERYTHING you hear.:evil

:rofl:rofl:rofl
  15. Ken OBSC

Ken OBSC -6.12, -7.64

Oddometer:

You picked an excellent screen-name. It fits you well.

Too much CO2 makes you INTO plant food.

:deal
  16. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
  17. Ken OBSC

Ken OBSC -6.12, -7.64

Oddometer:
    I guess signs of the times is all about pride in ignorance.

It's an interesting syndrome. You don't have the knowledge to understand something, so it becomes bullshit in your limited world-view.

:norton:norton:norton
  18. hexnut

hexnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a scooter forum Please take your insults and political opinions somewhere else, thanks.
  19. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    Guess I should point out a few things. Concerning electric cars, namely the Nissan Leaf. Not only does it have air conditioning and heater, it also has heated seats and steering wheel. The heater and AC can even be turned on remotely via a smart phone so it's warm or cool when you're ready to go.

Solar works great. My off grid house has been solar powered (stand alone photovoltaic) for over 20 years. I also have a solar hot water heater that makes a lot more hot water than I can use for 9 months out of the year.

Wind also works great as is evident by the number of wind turbines in operation. In northern Oregon the wheat farmers love them because they get a very good return on their investment and they can continue farming under them.
  20. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    Sure.

I'm convinced. Assertions always win the day with me....

Especially from someone who either does not have or wants not to disclose, facts and numbers...

HOW many miles you get out of that Leaf, there? 40 a charge? My Jeep used to get that far, after the gas gauge got pegged on E.

Solar panels have been around for thirty years. And they've failed to meet needs for all those thirty years.

Now we have wind-turbines ALSO not meeting needs and expectations. Which is kinda what happens when expectations are separated from facts and performance tests.