950 se voltage rectifier/regulator

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by gmtcm, May 17, 2013.

1. gmtcm

gmtcm KTM RIDER

Oddometer:
    My friend recently had a voltage rectifier/regulator go bad on his 950 SE. It also took the battery with it. He has since moved the unit away from the rear cylinder exhaust pipe so it doesn't succomb to heat of the pipe. How many of you SE owners have experienced this? I have 20K miles on mine, and worry about a failure out in the middle of nowhere. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks - gmtcm
  2. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    Not me, but MANY others. 20k seems to be alot, that is where I'm at as well. Move it now, an cross your fingers?

You could move the regulator, switch it for a new one and keep the old as a spare. At least that way you don't cook a battery.
  3. Volke

Volke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My VRR went at 3950km's. It took the battery with it.

I bought a Rick's Motorsports VRR and a new battery, and so far with ~2100km on them, it's working.
  4. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I swapped my good working one proactively at 60k, I'll get around to moving the new unit one of these days.
  5. gmtcm

gmtcm KTM RIDER

Oddometer:
    What happens is there is no early warning that it has taken out the battery, until the bike quits. By then it's too late. I guess I could install a voltmeter on the dash, but would probably never watch it and it would still go out.
  6. randel

randel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My regulator went at 47000km. Surprisingly I still have working original battery, 5 years old. New regulator is relocated to left side of frame, I also installed voltmeter.
  7. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    You may hear the battery whistling after you turn off the ignition. That is the sound of gas escaping because it is boiling up inside. Catch it early enough and the battery will survive.
  8. Xmoto

Xmoto Death Race

Oddometer:
    My VRR went at 7000 miles and also took the battery with it. I replaced it with a Rick's Motorsports VRR . I had a strong sulfur smell coming from the battey as it was venting from the seems.

[​IMG]
  9. ststrider

ststrider some guy on a bike

Oddometer:
    my regulator went at 32000km and took the stator with it.
  10. gmtcm

gmtcm KTM RIDER

Oddometer:
    I didn't think there was much room on the left side of the frame to re-locate the VRR? Could you send me a photo of yours>

Thanks - gmtcm
  11. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    Did Rick as well, 17k on the original RR & NO issues, just a precautionary measure. I kept the original mounting position as well. I figured since the original never failed from excessive heat, why on earth would the mosfet RR fail, just jinxed myself:lol3

RIDE ON!
  12. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    07 SE, same battery, same R/R.....same location.
  13. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    Getting close to 30,000 miles with Original VRR in stock location. Will prob buy a mosfet to replace sooner or later.
  14. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Heya gmtcm

Ours didn't fizz out but we proactively relocated it away from the oven.

There is plenty of wire to bring it around to the left hand side, see toward th back of the tank and yoiu can use the same mounting plate as well.

[​IMG]
  15. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Is the MOSFET Reg/Rec also sensitive to heat? Or could a MOSFET be left in the original location?
  16. Afry

Afry Why hike?

Oddometer:
    My Rick's failed (no charge) in a few months with about 1500 miles on it (stock location) with single exhaust. I put the stock working unit back on while they replace it. They claim it is the first failure of one of these. Now I lost the confidence I thought I bought.
  17. gmtcm

gmtcm KTM RIDER

Oddometer:
    I am sorry to hear about the Rick's failure. Before I committed on one, I was going to call them and ask them why theirs is better than stock. Now I don't know what to do. I just put in a new YUASA battery that I don't want to fry. I have been riding KTM motorcycles of all sizes since 1997, and the new ones just don't seem as reliable as the older models.
  18. SE Steve

SE Steve Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My SE has 7000 miles on it.
    I'm on battery #4 and i just figured out my Voltage regulator is letting 17+ volts through.
    I checked it out a while back and it was only putting out 14v but the bike was cold and i only kept it running for a few minutes. .
    Today I ran the bike for a lot longer and gave it different throttle settings as the bike got hotter the voltage kept going up.

So what is the best replacement?
  19. GoNOW

GoNOW Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. LAKEMONSTER

LAKEMONSTER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    https://motoventure.smugmug.com/Other/950-Superenduro-Regulator/29508862_C3CDQq/
    NiceName: ? Yes, my VRR quit, and took out my Battery also, four days before the KTM rally in Oregon last year. After getting a new Reg overnight shipped, AND a new Battery, i did make it, but a day late? Not wanting this to repeat itself, i starting playing with Machining a Heat Sink, (minimal reduction in Heat) and then Testing with an Infra-Red gun, experimenting with different locations, until i found the Coooooolest? Upper Mount down to 102 Degrees, and Lower Mount down to 112 degrees from a Smoking hot 175 plus where it sits between the Headers...