3,876 miles ripping it up on my 690

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Lupe Nurse, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Lupe Nurse

Lupe Nurse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did this ride last summer and it did not disappoint. Sure it incorporates some CDR and even a touch of the PCT but it was more than the where, it was a fresh state of mind out of the work place and into the unknown! I have been riding dual sport bikes since the early nineties but have never actually been on a true adventure. I had planned this ride in many forms but what it ended up as was exactly what it needed to be. A ride! Nothing short of just RIDING MY MACHINE TILL I WAS CONTENT!

The bike --- 09' 690r with many mods
    Me --- 73' male, maybe in need of a few mods
    The earth --- The amazing platform to combine the two

Let's put it this way. I got my GPS uploaded with the routes the morning I was to embark while my ride, my father, was waiting with his friend for me to get my act together. We had to go from west central Oregon all the way to Eureka Montana in one day, in a truck. Well it worked out for the most part since I got it figured and we were off only an hour late. That night after we had dinner in Eureka at 9pm and it was getting dark, we searched for that campsite that must be right around the corner. We pulled through many FULL campsites and at midnight we ended up at a roadside rest-stop in Whitefish Montana called Grouse Mountain. I slept in the bed of the Tundra while he and his friend slept in the front. Not the best way to start your first ride but hey, the price was right. The next morning brought great weather and my anxiety rocketed up as I looked at my bike and thought WTF am I doing. Then I put on some gear and inhaled some caffeine, while the jitters faded I focused on the tracks I needed to link up with. Oh did I mention I've never followed GPS tracks before this trip!
  2. chekamus

chekamus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good trip! look forward to hearing more!
  3. Lupe Nurse

Lupe Nurse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DAY 1 TRYING TO FIND A GROOVE!

HERE'S MY BED FROM THE FIRST NIGHT. IT WAS DIFFICULT TO STRETCH OUT SINCE I'M 6'4" IN A SHORT BED BUT I MANAGED A FEW HOURS. THERE WERE SOME OTHER "CAMPERS" THERE AND WE ALL GOT UP EARLY SINCE THE SUN WAS SHINNING BRIGHT. I'M TRYING TO FIGURE OUT EXACTLY WHERE I AM. ONCE I LEAVE, NO MORE PAPER MAP TO FALL BACK ON.

[​IMG]

MY FAMILY THOUGHT I NEEDED A MASCOT. I COULDN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT I WANTED SO THEY SURPRISED ME WITH THE GNOME. YES I DID TALK TO IT AND NO IT DID NOT RESPOND VERBALLY, WE'LL GET TO HOW A GNOME CAN PLAY WITH YOUR MIND LATER. SO I JUST ZIP TIED HIM TO MY BAR AND OFF I WENT. I KNEW I NEEDED TO GET SUPPLIES FOR THE DAY AND TO FULLY GAS UP. I JUST DROVE TOWARDS THE GPS LINE AND FOUND SOME GAS AND FOOD FOR THE DAY. I USED BIG DOGS TRACKS AND NEVER DEVIATED FROM THEM OTHER THAN GOING FARTHER ON MOST DAYS AND FINDING CAMPING INSTEAD OF HOTELS.

[​IMG]

WITH A COMPLETE SENSE OF BEING IN THE MOMENT I RODE ON OUT OF TOWN AND INTO THE TRUE UNKNOWN. I MEANDERED GRAVEL ROADS AND PASSED SOME BICYCLISTS. PASSING PEOPLE ON BICYCLES BECAME A NORM AND THE SIGHT OF ANOTHER RIDER WAS RARE. AS I DROVE ON THE FOCUS CHANGED AND I BEGAN TO RIDE. CHECKING MY GEAR CONSTANTLY AT FIRST AND THEN REALIZING I JUST HAVE TO TRUST THE SET-UP AND ENJOY THE VIEW IN FRONT OF ME INSTEAD OF BEHIND.

AS I FOUND THE TRACK TO BE EASY TO FOLLOW I WAS STOKED AND BEGAN TO FEEL SOME CONFIDENCE IN MY PLAN ACTUALLY COMING TOGETHER. ALTHOUGH BEING OUT THERE IN THE WOODS WITH NOT A SOUL AROUND, I RECOGNIZED MY VULNERABILITY BUT I THINK THAT IS WHAT SPIKED MY CURIOSITY AND PUSHED MY DESIRE FOR MORE. I CAME AROUND A PEAK AND NOTICED THESE FLAGS AND HAD TO GO INVESTIGATE WHILE TAKNG A BREAK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MY PANORAMIC SHOT OF THIS SITE DID NOT COME OUT BUT WHAT A GREAT PLACE! I NEVER FULLY RESEARCHED THEM BUT I IMAGINE THERE QUITE SPECIAL PEOPLE SINCE THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES I FOUND TO HAVE THIS HONOR OF BURIAL IN THE HIGH COUNTRY. FROM THIS VANTAGE POINT I CARRIED ON DOWN INTO THE VALLEY FLOOR. DESCENTS ARE NOT MY FAVORITE SO I JUST CRUISED ON DOWN THE TRACK ADMIRING ALL THE VISTAS AND WONDERING WHERE IS EVERYBODY! I'D SEE A HOUSE BUT NOTHING ELSE. IT WAS JUST ODD TO SEE BEAUTIFUL HOMES SCATTERED ABOUT WITH NO SIGN OF INHABITANTS.

I WENT THROUGH VARIOUS TERRAINS AND A FEW PAVED ROADS. I WAS DEFINITELY FEELING THE DAY WEAR ON AND SINCE I SKIPPED LUNCH, THE NEW NORM, I STARTED TO GET VERY HUNGRY BY DINNER AND DECIDED TO PACK IT IN. I GOT GAS WHEN I GOT TO BUTTE AND ASKED AROUND ABOUT A CAMP SITE. THEY KNEW NOTHING BESIDES A KOA WITH REALLY GOOD FRIED CHICKEN AND BEER!! I'LL TAKE IT, JUST TONIGHT THOUGH. I WATCHED THE LOCALS RIDE THEIR QUADS UP AND DOWN THE STREETS WITH NO HELMETS WHICH WAS ODD. I DRANK SOME MOOSE DROOL AND ORDERED THE FISH INSTEAD OF THE CHICKEN WHICH WAS A MISTAKE. ALWAYS EAT WHAT THEY ARE KNOWN FOR! THIS ENDED UP BEING THE BEST CHIOCE FOR THE DAY BECAUSE DAY 2 STARTED OFF A BIT ROCKY.

CAMP/BEER SHOTS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

STATS FOR DAY ONE WHITEFISH MT - BUTTE MT ODOMETER 8925-9230
  4. Ride38

Ride38 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the adventure!
    That's not wine in the dromedary hey?
    :1drink
  5. Lupe Nurse

Lupe Nurse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DAY 2 GETTING INTERESTING

I HAPPILY BLOW OUT OF THE KOA AT ABOUT 9. I LIKE TO SLEEP IN AND GETTING UP WITH THE SUN IS NOT MY NORM. I GET GAS AND DEVELOP A METHOD TO GET MY HYDRATION PACK FILLED WITH ICE AND SPORTS DRINK. I JUST ASK AND THEY LET ME FILL MY BAG WITH ICE AFTER I BUY A FEW 32OZERS. THEN I GET SOME TRAIL MIX OR JERKY FOR FOOD AND I'M SET ALL DAY. I HAVE SOME RESERVE FOOD IN MY PACK IF I DONT GET TO A STORE THAT NIGHT.

SO I LEAVE BUTTE FULL OF CONFIDENCE FROM ONE DAYS RIDING AND NOT GETTING LOST. SURE ENOUGH RIGHT OUT OF TOWN I RIDE PAST A TURN BUT THE RIDING IS NICE COUNTRYSIDE AND I'M NOT REALLY LOOKING FOR A TURN BECAUSE THERE ARE NONE. I PASS TWO RIDERS BUT THEY JUST GO BY LIKE I'M NOT THERE. THEN I BEGIN TO UNDERSTAND WHY. I WAS AT A DEAD END THAT COULD WORK IF THE GATES WERE NOT CLOSED AT THIS PUBLIC PARK. THERE WAS A ROAD UP TO THE LAKE THAT COULD BRING ME INTO THE TRACKS AHEAD BUT I TRY SEVERAL PATHS AND DISCOVER I CANT GET THROUGH. I'M BUMMED THINKING I HAVE TO DO MY FIRST MAJOR REROUTE. AS I HEAD BACK INTO TOWN I SEE THE TURN I MISSED AND GET BACK GOING AGAIN. ABOUT TEN MILES DOWN THE ROAD I SEE BEAUTIFUL CAMPSITES AND THINK THE LOCALS ARE IDIOTS OR NOT CONNECTED TO THE AREA. I WOULD HAVE MUCH PREFERRED TO HAVE STAYED IN THE WILD AND DECIDE TO NEVER TAKE THE EASY CAMPING AGAIN.

I PULL UP ONE OF THESE CAMPING ROADS AND TAKE A BREAK. THERE IS A INSANE DISC GOLF COURSE THAT I'M SURE CLAIMS MANY DISC'S.

[​IMG]

I GET BACK ON THE RAOD AFTER SOME RELAXATION AND START GETTING UP INTO THE WILDERNESS AND GRAVEL ROADS WITH NOBODY AROUND.

[​IMG]

I KEEP RUNNING INTO GROUPS OF CATTLE AND AT TIMES THEY ARE INTIMIDATING. THEY DART IN FRONT WHEN ONLY 15 FEET AWAY OR JUST STARE ME DOWN. I THINK MAYBE I'M JUST TO AGGRESSIVE WITH THEM AND NEED TO ADD SOME CHARM....

[​IMG]

I EVENTUALLY GET TO THIS ONE GATE THAT THE COWS HAVE CONVERGED IN FRONT OF. I DECIDE TO BE PATIENT AND THEY NEVER MOVE. I REV THE MOTOR AND PUSH THROUGH THEM. THE ROAD CHANGES TO DIRT AND GETS STEEP AS IT CLIMPS UP. I FOCUS ON JUST RIPPING UP THE TRAIL JUMPING AT TIMES AND REALLY FEELING THE ABILITIES OF THE KTM LIKE I HAVE UNLOADED. I COME ACROSS SOME FOUR WHEELERS AND THEY GET OFF THE TRAIL AND OUT OF MY WAY. AT THE TOP I LOOSE THE TRACK AND LOOK FOR IT. IT SEEMS TO GO TO THE RIGHT ABOUT HALF THE WAY UP AND I WAS JUST FOCUSSED ON THE TRAIL SO I PASSED IT. I GO BACK DOWN WHICH WAS NOT AS MUCH FUN. WHEN I TURN OFF ONTO THE TRAIL IT IS SINGLE TRACK, STEEP AND ROCKY. I KEEP GOING THINKING THAT IF SOMEONE ELSE DID THIS, I CAN DO IT. WELL I MUST ADMIT THIS WAS THE MOST TECHNICAL DOWNHILL I HAVE DONE WITH A FULLY LOADED BIKE. I JUST HAD TO INCH DOWN WITH A LOCKED REAR AND MY RIGHT HAND STARTED CRAMPING FROM SQUEEZING THE FRONT BRAKE FOR SO LONG AND SO HARD.

THE PICS WERE POOR BUT I TOOK A BREAK AT THE BOTTOM OF THE HILL. I WAS GLAD TO HAVE MADE IT SINCE I NEW IT WAS NOT WELL TRAVELED AND I COULD HAVE REALLY ATE IT. THE TRAIL STAYED PRETTY RUSTIC FOR ANOTHER MILE AND THEN HOOKED BACK INTO THE MAIN ROAD. I WOULD LATER FIND OUT THAT PEOPLE USUALLY BYPASS THIS ROUTE EVEN ON BICYCLES. WELL I MADE IT SO NO HARM.

[​IMG]

THE ROADS GET LONG AND PEACEFUL AND I'M MAKING THE ROADS FUN WITH HIGH RATES OF SPEED. 60-70 IS JUST RIGHT ON THESE OPEN ROADS AND THE BIKE FEELS SOLID. I ROLL INTO A CANYON LIKE SECTION WITH A SMALL RIVER ON MY RIGHT AND ALOT OF SHRUBBERY ALONG THE EDGE OF IT.

OUT OF NOWHERE I FIND MYSELF A NEW RIDING PARTNER. THE KIND I DON'T WANT. A MEDIUM SIZED MATURE BROWN BEAR. IT'S NOSE IS THREE FEET FROM MY FRONT TIRE ON MY RIGHT. IT IS IN FULL SPRINT WITH ME AND ITS MOUTH IS OPEN AND I FOCUS ON ITS TEETH FOR SOME REASON. I VIVIDLY RECALL THE BEARS MOUTH AGAPE WITH SALIVA STRINGING OUT LIKE A DOG RUNNING WITH IT'S OWNER. I SLOW ON THE THROTTLE THINKING IT WANTS PAST ME AND IT SLOWS WITH ME. WELL THEN GAS IT IS AND I PUNCH PAST IT WITH EASE. I LOOK BACK THRILLED THAT I'M SAFE AND SEEE THE BEAR STOP JUST ACROSS THE ROAD AND THEN WALK UP THE HILL LOOKING DOWN AT THE WATER. I LOCKED UP MY BREAKS AND THOUGHT IF IT STARTED WALKING MY WAY I WOULD LEAVE BUT WHY NOT GET A PICTURE. THEN SURE ENOUGH HER CUB CAME OUT FROM THE STREAM AND RAN TO MOMMA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THIS WAS A GREAT MOMENT IN THE TRIP!

SO AFTER ALL THAT I CONTINUED ON AND HAD ENOUGH ADRENALINE TO PUSH ME DOWN THE TRACKS WITH EASE.

[​IMG]

I HAD TO STOP AND TALK ABOUT IT ALL WITH THE GNOME. WE AGREED THAT THE CLOUDS ARE STARTING TO GATHER AND THE DAY IS GETTING ON.

I RODE AROUND SEVERAL SYSTEMS, BY LUCK, AND POPPED OUT ONTO SLAB THAT LED TO A GAS STATION THAT WAS ALSO NEAR A DINGY MOTEL. JUST AS I PULLED IN THE SKIES OPENED UP AND THE COVERING AT THE GAS STAION ROARED FOR A BIT. I FILLED UP AND THOUGHT ABOUT EITHER CAMPING IN BACK OF THE HOTEL OR MAKING IT TO THE NEXT PLACE TO CAMP. THERE WAS A FED EX DRIVER TALKING WITH A UPS DRIVER AND I THOUGHT, WHO ELSE KNOWS WHAT I SHOULD DO. THEY WERE VERY NICE AND GAVE ME MY OPTIONS. EITHER GO FOR IT WITH THE ERRATIC WEATHER OR STAY AT THE MOTEL. THE NEXT PLACE TO CAMP WAS 60 MILES AWAY AND IT WAS GETTING LATE. WELL I WENT FOR IT AND IT DID NOT DISAPOINT.

THE ROAD WAS MOSTLY FLAT, PACKED GRAVEL AND WIDE OPEN SO I MADE GREAT TIME. I CAME ACROSS A RANGER STATION AND THEN SAW A CAMPING SIGN A FOR A FEW MILES DOWN THE ROAD.

CAMP NIGHT TWO...... WAY BETTER, SERENITY AND GOOD COMPANY!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DINNER OF CHAMPIONS FOR NIGHT TWO. I HAD BOUGHT THIS STUFF BEFORE I LEFT THE GAS STATION AND IT ALL MADE IT. I TALKED WITH SOME BIKERS WHO HAD BEEN ON THE ROUTE FOR A MONTH ALREADY. THEY WERE GREAT AND WELCOMED ME TO THERE FIRE FOR THE NIGHT. THEY WERE SHOCKED THAT I HAD LEFT BUTTE THAT MORNING SINCE THEY AVERAGED 40-50 MILES IN A GOOD DAY. WE SHARED SOME STORES AND WHEN I WENT BACK TO EAT THEY TOLD ME NOT TO BECAUSE OF THE BEARS SMELLING MY FOOD. WELL I COULD NOT ARGUE AND ACTUALLY SETTLED FOR JUST THE COORS AND NOODLES I HAD EARLIER FOR FOOD. THE RAVIOLIS MADE A A GOOD BREAKFAST THOUGH. MY JET BOIL IS PERFECT TO JUST HEAT THE CAN ON TOP OF IT WITH SEVERAL ROTATIONS. COOKING BY CAN IS EASY, NO CLEAN-UP.

THE SKY WAS AMAZING THAT NIGHT WITH STARS ABOVE AND THE LIGHTENING WAY OF IN THE DISTANCE.

DAY TWO STATS BUTTE TO LAKE VIEW 9230-9505
  6. FloorPoor

FloorPoor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. Looks like a good one.
  7. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    For sure you are in beautiful country. Looking forward to hearing more of your ride.
  8. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Excellent.
    A quick light bike, minimal gear, seeing great stuff, and rewarding yourself with tranquility and victory beer.
    Perfect recipe for a great trip.
    I'm subscribed.

Please proceed.
    Q~
  9. Lupe Nurse

Lupe Nurse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No more caps, I've been moderated. Plus if any questions come up about the gear or bike feel free to ask.

Day 3, Nice day for ride!

I awake to the lake and a mountain view with an old rock slide. I learned that is how aspens gain there footing in the hills is after a slide because they survive when the larger trees don't.
    pic from campsite

[​IMG]

I eat my raviolis and they are not bad for breakfast, surprisingly. The packing is steady and I'm surely getting more efficient each day. I'm a not super type A in packing but I am particular and systematic. I focus on getting better and more efficient with everything I do at work so it overflows a bit here. On the flip side I really have no real concept where I am in relation to state lines or what I might encounter at any given point. I like the feeling of the freedom this gives me. I guess at the same time I know that I can figure it out if needed so realistically I'm just fooling myself, which is fine by me! So I take off shortly after the bikers and pass them like the rest with some spacing and a wave. The guys in the group were betting on how far I'd go today at the campfire last night.

The next thing I know I see the first Divide sign for the trip so I had to stop, here the self portraits start coming into there own.

[​IMG]

my surprised look!
    [​IMG]

Dual Sport F@@king maniac!
    [​IMG]

No aspens there
    [​IMG]

SO this road is fast and I'm flying around this lake and into a town. The dust cloud is fantastic. Big Dog got gas so I will also. I fuel up and head right back out cause that's what I'm here to do. I want it, I'm craving new sights and challenges. My confidence is pure and I believe I'm ready for anything. There is a trail that I'm supposed to take but the road says closed and has a gate. Well there are some kinda fresh bicycle tracks around it so if they can do it so can I. The road is beat up and all dirt which is allot of fun. I make it through onto the paved road and I come out not far from where I went in but it was fun. The next section of trail I hit was not what I expected at all.

I thought, why ride down a old RR route. It's gonna be brutal. Then I saw bicycle tracks and that seems to motivate me into going anywhere. The track is slow at times and very long. It's washboard, washout and damn near wipeout most of the way. The old RR bridges are cool and a little nervy since there is no railing. They are pretty wide but when passing others it is interesting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cattle guards are very steep but the gnome keeps taunting me to jump them!
    [​IMG]

Eventually the track smooths out and the trail runs along a river that is truly distracting. I don't know if I should stop and fish or ride. I ride and get totally distracted going around the tunnel, I pass a turn. I get to a gate and see how pedestrians get around but how do bikes. Well I figure they must have done it so it must be possible. I made several diamonds squeezing my bike around the left side of this gate. I made it and I then realize as everybody walking by is giving me the WTF look I missed the turn up to the road and now am driving down a walking only path. Oh well, luckily there were no cops around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I get on a road that meanders into a large valley and I see a large mountain range to the left. I hope I'm headed there and I am. The road is odd because it is very wide, heavy gravel and homes with large fields are all around me. I guess it's for the weather. The road slows me because I am not a fan of gravel in my skin. I crest a little knoll and I pass this bicyclist while standing and zoning of into the distance. Then I'm like, UH! what was that?

[​IMG]

I thinking REALLY! I hesitate and then lock em up and flip around stopping well in front of this guy so I can gauge his approach when he flies by. He stops and tells me he is riding the entire divide over a few months purely on this beast of a unicycle. It's all custom and this guy is nuts because by now the only place he has any are in his head. He can't stand to rest his ass, he can't coast to give his legs a break downhill or anywhere. He told me he was watching me ride standing and was super jealous. I felt like such a sissy compared to this guy. Then to top it off he is doing it for a charity to raise money and awareness for human trafficking. Well, LATER, and off I rode with no sense of purpose. That lasted a few endearing minutes and then I twisted that throttle. Brrraahhhhh!

Here I am

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now in Wyoming I know one thing. I am in Wyoming. The cyclists were talking about how they dreaded Wyoming because it is so boring. They were lying because the tack I got on soon after this was perfect. All dirt with boulders and mud puddles abounding. I was flowing through it and even took a break to really enjoy it. I was bummed when it ended into a resort like area but I quickly realized I was not just anywhere. I was looking at the Grand Tetons.
    Very majestic and beautiful. Not much I've seen aside from Yosemite Valley that compares. The weather was turning quickly like it does around 4pm so I'm thinking shelter and food. Maybe I'll go relax at the lake. The resort I first came across was to commercialized so I found a state site right on the lake. I got a site for cyclists and was stoked on the price and ease of it all. To make things really nice I was able to go to the store and tour the lake in style with just t-shirt, shorts, sunglasses and sandals. There was a slow speed limit with allot of official presence so I knew I was going to be good. Then I got my food and went to the lake to drink a beer and take pictures when the sky opened up. I had to scurry back to my tent for shelter. It passed after a hour but the lightening was fierce. Fierce like I don't need fire because there will be plenty natural ones tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dinner
    [​IMG]

F@@king Spork!
    [​IMG]

The night was pretty mellow with visiting with others and hearing about there journeys. People are amazing. The stories I heard of how they survive were fantastic and how people seemed to be from all walks of life. They would just simply meld over the adventure spirit! Tonight I felt truly free!

Lakeview to Colter Bay 9230 - 9505
  10. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    Nice..........

:lurk

When does the POS 690 break down........(inside joke for all 690 owners).....:wink:
  11. FloorPoor

Oddometer:
    Nice ride.

Less pictures of your face, and more pics of that sexy bike please :D

What have you done to set it up? I'm sorely tempted by a used 690 at a local dealer.
  12. Lupe Nurse

Lupe Nurse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DAY 4 TESTING MY WILL!

The night was nice. I am sleeping really well. I might have to change positions occasionally and that I must wake up to do. If I don't do it right, then I slide off the air pad and that is no bueno. Today is a big mix of trail that is sandy or drying mud. The day started off with leaving the Teton's and I had to stop and look one last time.

[​IMG]

The day climbs up into the mountains and back down taking off on some fun tracks. I ride hard and the bike performs well. The change in scenery will speak for itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did a wear check on the Motoz - desert h/t tractionator's about 800 miles in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The gear is holding up well and my jacket holds nicely on the back. It looks tall
    but it holds pretty well. I don't rest against it. When I get about sixty miles in after fueling up I put the fuel from the green bladder in the rear tank to lighten the load up high. When the the fuel light comes on I twist both release valves on the rally raid tanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The clouds are starting to stress me a bit since I am not a fan of lightening. I push on and come out of the mountains and into this stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even I can tell this looks ominous. I start to question what I'm getting into as I had just gassed up and started into this new terrain. Lightening is flashing and I avoid it for some time but then I turn straight into it and I start to get very anxious! Did I mention I hate lightening, It's the randomness and deadliness that puts the fear in me. Oh, lets add the part that I have no idea where my next shelter or camp might be and it's about 4. Sure I have plenty of time but my panties are surely making me question my manhood!

[​IMG]

So I turn onto the road above and it is dumping. The lighting is right on top of me with no end in sight. I think retreat, retreat! As I look back I see a big yellow thing about a .25 miles away. I whip it around and rocket to a gate that has my temporary abode just on the other side. The door is open and I jump in. It's a nice cab that is dry and feels safe. I really don't know how safe but it feels better than out there. That poor f@@king gnome is out there, it better protect the bike.

[​IMG]

sorry Floor Poor
    [​IMG]
    That's my I don't care if I'm a pussy look!

I wait it out and call my wife, perfect, I have reception and shelter. I'm there for about 45minutes and then of course its perfect out. Poor gnome, sucks to be low on the bars but somebodies got to do it.

[​IMG]

So I am cruising down a stretch of pavement and hitting about 70. I see the quick transition back to dirt and feel good. I roll of the throttle and prepare to get a feel for the road surface as the rear wiggles a bit. Gas on no problem, gas off wiggle. F@@CK ME!!!!! I have never had a flat let alone while out in who knows where with nobody for support. It's that damn gnomes fault, or is it mine for leaving it out there. Either way this gnome is to blame. Or, is it the one thing I did to save a buck and I reused my old tubes when I put the new tires on before the ride. Either way there are hardly any rocks around and I have no way to support the rear to change tubes. I brought a spare front and rear that were new. I have a pump thats electric and I tested it when I installed the new tires. No worries I can do this. The thought, it's all good, comes to mind. Bull Sh@t! I did bring a Swiss Army shovel for it's many attributes. It is a pick, shovel, hammer all in one. Damn, it might also be perfect to rock the rear of the ground with. Seriously I had not tried this pre-ride. PERFECT!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I strip it down and get to work. I slowly realize I just have to do it and stop thinking about it. No worries, I have changed my tire a "few" times, when you own a 690 tire changing is often. So I bust it out and let the pump get to work. Practically nobody came by and one person asked if I needed help but I had it done by then. Why isn't the tire seating. Awe damn, I punctured the tube with the iron. IDIOT! I did ask where the next spot to camp is and the people said anywhere. Anywhere meant in the open country where there could be lightening. You follow my thinking, that is not an option. I opt to put a patch on the hole on the old tube since it is just one hole, yes I know. Well it works and the tire seats. Did I mention it was hot now. So I re-saddle and I'm off. I take it slow just to feel it out. I go ten miles and think all is good after all.

[​IMG]

NOT!!!! I am pretty pissed at this point and feeling glum. Why, WHY, Why? This young rancher and his girlfriend roll up in a POS ranch truck and offer help at their ranch somewhere back down the road. I say thanks. I keep it in mind, but I got this. I am so fast at taking everything down by now it's minutes till I'm deciding what to do. I opt for putting my new front in the rear. The patches had ended up sliding off the hole. Buy new patches next time! Well it works but I'm sketched out and want to find camping. I roll out and I'm now on this big open plain stuff. I see my first Antelope and think F@@CK YOU ANTELOPE, where is my campground at. I see a sign that says lodge and camping but its 20+ the opposite direction. The right direction is like 60 miles to the next town. I'm spent. I opt for Big Sandy campground. It's a long ride there since I'm totally babying it now. I see some guy parked like he is camping for the night and approach him. I pull up and he steps from behind his truck sharpening a decent sized knife. I act like it's no big deal but I am not camping near this guy. I ask where the campground is and he is also new to the area. I push on and find it. No water, I'm almost out and only have enough for using my one dehydrated meal. My hydration bag is dry and I'm thinking somebody will sell me water. I get a great spot and this site is awesome. It's quiet and apparently a climbers paradise. It's so far out of town that nobody will even sell me water. Well I try to eat my food but I have no spork. I use my knife but that is a disaster waiting to happen. Waahhhhh! No beer, no water and no way to eat my food. Well I opt to carve a flat thing out of wood to shovel the food into my gut. It works well and I chill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course the night sky was magnificent and I laid my mangina to rest.

Colter Bay to Big Sandy 9647 - 9867
  13. miniboxer

miniboxer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can drink the liquid part and shovel in the rest with a credit card...
  14. ROD CURRIE

ROD CURRIE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    Enjoy your ride so far...Ride on. :clap
  16. FloorPoor

Oddometer:
    Flat tires suck.

Just remember when things go wrong, it makes you appreciate when things go right, that much more.

And don't worry about locals with large knives, guns etc. Just about EVERYBODY in rural Idaho, Montana, Wyoming. has them :D And if you don't, we probably have a spare we'll lone you.:lol3
  17. Solo Gato

Solo Gato long in the tooth Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic-:thumbup
  18. Lupe Nurse

Lupe Nurse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DAY 5....... Making the best of it!

Well I did sleep, but I woke early with the sun as I had to make a decision on my path for the day. I of course had no idea where the next town with tubes would be. I had no water and the day was looking sunny and warm. I decided to just pack it up and see what would unfold. I noticed the pickup truck with the guy who had the knife and he came over to see how I was. He seemed nice, of course, so I asked him for water. He had a large water container in his truck that he had purified himself. He let me fill my 3L bag and I was very thankful. Of I went back down the dirt road to re-connect with the gps tracks. I have been alternating the two batteries I have for the GPS. I have to charge them off the unit since my mount doesn't accommodate a charger also. I put a waterproof usb and cigarette style plug in on the bike for my charging needs.

I got to the tracks and it was open rolling hills that were fast and fun. I decided that at the next gas stop I would find out where to get a few new tubes since I had no idea how long the front would last in the rear. I rode on for a bit and saw many antelopes running all around. I hunt and could not stop thinking of how easy they must be to harvest. They would run and stop at a reasonable distance. I have never really been around so many antelope and they are interesting to observe.

So I get on and off the pavement for a bit and the tracks lead me to a small town that makes me think I must be in total bumf@@k because there is at least a hundred homes and no neon lights or "normal" establishments that I recognize. I look at the tracks and see a place that sells gas and think this must be my lucky day. He repairs tires tires also, he's gotta have some tubes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So luckily the owner is there and I'm stoked cause I need tubes and I should top off my fuel. The guy is gruff to say the least and I get the feeling I'm more of a bother than a customer. I find out he has no tubes and gas is like five or six bucks a gallon, 87 octane. I ask him how far to the next big town that would have a moto shop. Apparently not close, 160 miles and it's all mostly on the same dirt roads I came in on. He has no extra water for sale and I've been sparing it so I think I'll be fine. He sells me a gallon and I head out. The tire has been fine. I have confidence in it since it has lasted 80 miles or so at some good speeds. I clear the little valley and come out to a amazing view. Endless nothingness. Perfect for my soul. I race across this standing most of the time, head stretched out over the bars so I'm practically flying. The sky is ok, it doesn't look like rain anywhere. I see cows in random spots. I see a rancher and stop for a break and he comes over to talk at me. I listen to his stories and they are of himself and his brother when they were young and riding there bikes out here chasing cattle. The dog finally runs up and they are gone. My mind is free of worries and I continue to pick apart the road navigating the 690 effortlessly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hit 10,000!!!! What a BIKE!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there I am minding my own business. I finally hit the pavement and decide to just cruise it out at 55-60. I had been doing 70+ at times on the dirt but I was ready to cruise into the next town, Rawlins WY. I'm on the pavement for maybe a mile and the wiggles return to my rear. F@@@@@CCCK! Well I have no choice but to just take the next step in a dwindling plan.

[​IMG]

I love zip ties at this moment. Since I can't trust the patches and I have holes in all my spares I go for my last option. I know and had used them once in the mid 1990's and it worked for quite a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I'm minding my despair, like a mirage forming in front of me, this couple riding there bikes with little trailers stop and start talking to me. I swear they speak perfect english but it seems so foreign. It's hard to describe but they came up on me so quickly I was shocked to even see anyone else out there. I new they had no chance of getting to a town that day and they would likely have no shelter where they camped that night. It all set in and they were Europeans on holiday. They were interested in helping me but I had it. By now I was feeling proficient at this tire thing. I asked how far back was the town and they said twenty miles. We offered each other respect they carried on. Nothing to it but to do it. I get it fixed, the zip ties work perfectly and I roll into Rawlins just in front of a major down poor and lightening. I decide this is my hotel night and get a place at the Hampton Inn. I figure the weather is bad now and I need stuff in town. I do laundry and eat a whole large pizza. Oh, and yes the beer is good, damn good!

Big Sandy Camp --- Rawlins 9867 to 10065
  19. Ride38

Ride38 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice...had no clue you used the zip tie manuever on this trip. -Tried & true tech! Staying tuned in for the journey.:1drink:1drink:1drink
  20. Lupe Nurse

Lupe Nurse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 6 I Got This Like My Mother Invented Adventure Riding!

So sleeping in the hotel was nice and the shower helped a lot but I just wanted a nice night under the stars far more. Tonight I will find the perfect spot, I won't settle! The laundry was done and I swam in the pool. I walked the halls bouncing off the walls at times from libations and exhaustion. Pizza was great, I ate a large to myself. Since I don't eat all day, by night I'm a ravenous whore eating the cheese off the cardboard. I had noted a moto shop on my way to the liquor store and that was my stop in the am before I checked out. I wanted to make sure they had what I needed and to take time to pack it all up right. I bought three tubes, 1 front and two rear. I figured I would need to change the zip tied tube when it failed and then I would have an extra for each tire. I also needed to get air valves for my gas caps on the rally tanks since they came off some how and I was afraid of rain getting in there. I took off about 10am and immediately ran into this guy and his wife riding DS bikes. The guy knew Big Dog personally and I asked him to give him some praise and thanks for me. He thought the zip ties might hold and I agreed so I just decided to ride it till it went. The route through the town is a bit different since you can't go under the tracks anymore. At least legally anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yup, that's how I roll. This is about 15 miles outside of Rawlins. I'm thinking why didn't I pay the bike shop to change my tube. Because I got this!!! I busted this thing out in like 30 minutes. I gave my old tube to a truck driver who was inspired by my skills. No, I didn't sign it. I just thought, hey you could lighten my load, thanks brotha! For some reason I was inspired and nothing was gonna stop me. I started racking up the miles and never even gave my flats a second thought. Thats until I realized what was happening. That gnome had put a curse on me... I left him out in the storm and mocked him. My only hope was that I had suffered enough under his spell and now it was time to ride hard again.

Thats right, Aspen Alley, which I had no idea was an official name or that a ranch was there.

[​IMG]

My salute for the inmates!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yup thats where I'm headed. No, I hate lightening!

[​IMG]

So I hit a bit of pavement and then get back on a partially gravelly road along a river. It had been threatening rain in the distance and I was hoping to get around it. No such luck. It hammered me hard, way harder than the time I had to get into the tractor. It was right on top of me, not in a good way, like a pimp in prison breaking in his new meat. I was sh@tting myself. The only redemption was cover. There were trees everywhere. Well, I parked and got under a grove of trees and abandoned that poor f@@cking gnome again. I practically wore a spot in a tree while it carried on. The sound and percussion was so intense I was just thinking I was seriously at risk and trying to tap my heels. You can just make out the bike in the clearing. Then it happened. My stead fell over from the wet ground and I new I had to grow a pair and get on my way. I had probably hid for a half hour. In retrospect it was likely not a good idea to be in the tall trees but I'm a fool when it come to lightening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I picked it up like a feather and pointed it down the road. I could hardly see, the rain was so heavy and with each crash and spark I just laid into the throttle. The bike turned that road into a racetrack. I made it through and after about twenty minutes I had cleared the storm.

I rolled into a town and was officially in CO. I needed gas and this sign just caught me off guard. Really! Anyway the gas was fine and the camelback was topped off. The weather was cooperating at this point and I was good to carry on.

[​IMG]

Pelicans inland trip me out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mini water crossing. I wasn't sure how deep but it was easily handled.
    [​IMG]

The day rolled out and I was ripping around with great traction and handling. I kept pushing because I was having so much fun. At one point had my only re-route. I came up a road shortly after this and the tracks went where a road was prior to logging. Well there was a new road about 300 yards prior. So I took the new road and after some minor second guessing I was right on. I definitely did not want to just skip the dirt and jump on the road to the next intersection. I just worked my way through and it was epic. The day turned out to be great day. As I got out of the woods and into that place where the other humans like to reside I spotted a beautiful river with a campground. The town was close and so was the road so I carried on looking for a more pristine spot. Instead I found an authentic looking mexican restaurant. I lived in CA growing up and I know mexican food. Well, for sure this place was legit. I got my essentials and after talking to some locals I soon realized my best option. Go back to that camp and make the best of it. I did! I collected wood from all over the sites. There was only three other campers inn this 50+ campsite campground. I had a river front spot. I planned my party for the night. I had gas in the spare fuel bag and poured it over the wood and lit that thing up. The lightening was of to the side of the moon and stars. With the sparks from the fire and the sky in the background I was feeling the RIDE. In a good way, I was pulling in all that fresh input and dumping the everyday sh@t that suppresses the man in me! The stuff that you must contend with, you know it's not really what you represent, in your core.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I go back to the top of the hill above the campground in sandals, shorts and t-shirt. I've had a few beers by now but I'm just chilling campground style. I pay for the site and chat with some local lady walking her dogs. She is nice and gives me no insight into the area, so I remain mostly confused as to where I really am. I figure I'll just do what I've been doing and carry on tomorrow.

As I get back to the campsite I prepare to dismount my bike. Well it turns out that beer at high altitude F@cks you up a bit more. As I got off my foot got caught or something like that and I fell hard to the ground. I look up and just stare at my bike standing there. I'm thinking, No Way! I gather myself and laugh at the fact that the damn gnome got me again. The bike went down earlier by itself and now this was my turn.

The night did not disappoint!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rawlins -- Silverthorne, Blue Camp 10065 thru 10345