Weapon storage....

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Helios, Apr 2, 2009.

1. xtphreak

xtphreak from B4 "adventure bikes" Supporter

Oddometer:
    and I do carry state-to-state and do check handguns in my luggage ... but, I make damn sure the flight doesn't connect in "unfriendly" states, 'cause the cops in Boston & NYC have already hassled connecting passengers for checked firearms.

In some airports, the airport policy includes the entire terminal, in others, that policy starts at the security zone.

and in some states, you can only transport under certain circumstances, like moving, getting repairs, etc.

betcha don't walk around NYC with a pistol "in a case" and tell the cops it ain't concealed.

"...Knives, air guns, accessories, and most gun parts need not be shipped to an FFL holder. We say most gun parts because each firearm contains at least one part that the ATF considers a firearm. This part is typically the part that contains the serial number. This part must be treated as a complete firearm when shipping the item...."

In this you are flat wrong, as your reference states.

so the shipping to yourself is out, 'cause the frame is a firearm to the feds even if it's stripped ... go buy a 1911 frame and it's just like buying a complete pistol, paperwork and all.

if you ship it to an FFL to "hold", he has to enter it on his log.

If it's a handgun, you cannot complete a 4473 (which he has to have to get it OFF his log) and get it back if you're out of your home state. He'd have to ship it to a dealer in your state.

my advice, even though I ain't a lawyer nor did I play one on TV ... bury it in a waterproof case somewhere private, lock it in a bus station / airport locker, rent a storage cube, something "off the radar".
  2. ggrjr

ggrjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "In the HK lineup any of the full size guns would work."

This is only true of guns sold during the high capacity magazine ban, which was lifted over three years ago. Most of the H&Ks now come with a minimum of 12 round magazines. My P2000 came with 2 12 round mags. I believe teh 9s may be more, and 45s less.
  3. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    And of course you can only use the mags that came with the gun :rolleyes

You can defiantly still get the 10rd mags if you wanted to, and pretty cheap last time I checked.
  4. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have a permit in NYC you should be good to go... Now getting one on the other hand...

Um that link confirms what I said.

No thanks I prefer my pistols to actually function but i've purchased numerous receivers.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b8
    "(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm."

Basically if you ship it to yourself at another address the possession has not changed hands and no laws have been broken.
  5. dwayne

dwayne Silly Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They might let you bring in a pistol as an instructor or a competitive shooter to participate in an event, but not to travel in or through Canada. As the ref states, a resonably direct route. A road tour would not meet that criteria.
  6. xtphreak

xtphreak from B4 "adventure bikes" Supporter

Oddometer:
    you can stick it in a box and send it as bearing assemblies, but it ain't legal if the frame is in there, the frame being the "firearm" in the eyes of the feds.

TITLE 27--ALCOHOL, TOBACCO PRODUCTS, AND FIREARMS

CHAPTER II--BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS, AND EXPLOSIVES,
    DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE

PART 478_COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION--Table of Contents

Subpart C_Administrative and Miscellaneous Provisions

Sec. 478.30 Out-of-State disposition of firearms by nonlicensees.

No nonlicensee shall transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or
    deliver any firearm to any other nonlicensee, who the transferor knows
    or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person
    is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of
    business in) the State in which the transferor resides.

inter-state shipping of firearms is tricky, but I believe that this will clear it up ...

it IS legal to ship to yourself, care of another person, so MY BAD

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b10
  7. ggrjr

ggrjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed, when I bought my gun I actually purchased 8 10 round magazines, for 5.00 each.
  8. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:

Shipping it in a non-firing state does nothing for the goverements standpoint but it does for UPS's policy it's cheaper to ship non-firing versus assembled and working
  9. scottdc

scottdc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When my wife and I moved from Washington to Alaska in 2001 we looked into transporting our firearms through Canada and what we were told by their customs folks was even if we filled out all the paperwork and it was approved it was still up to the discretion of whomever we talked to at the border. In other words you can have everything in order and they can still say no.
  10. smilin jack

smilin jack Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What he says above...

I was told NO, so had to "take them back to the US". The local supermarket in Washington state had a gun storage locker for $10 and would hold the firearms until my return. Not a bad deal... even with filling out his release from damage or theft form.

Take your camp axe in plain sight, with it's cover in place.

Dave
  11. lopaca

lopaca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We travelled to Alaska through Canada this past summer. As an aside it was the best trip we have ever made on the bikes. We went over the issue of carring through canada and just decided to take bear spray instead - it can be used on bad guys as well and made our lives so much easier in not having to worry about the whole gun issue, even though our preference would be to have had something available. Bear spray just made our lives easy, luckily we did not need to use it on bear or any bad guys.

That being said, you were looking for ideas on storage. I would think that the most obvious is a lockable compartment. I would not recommend riding while carrying under your clothing in any form. I think that would just be asking for trouble considering all the different municipalities you will be riding through.

whatever you decide, you will have a great trip. Do yourself a favor and ride down to Homer. You won't regret it.
  12. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Field people in the northwest regions of the agency I work for will sometimes encounter bears scavenging accident sites. Some investigators still like to carry, but it's been years since I've heard of one using a firearm for real. The big cans of bear spray really work. They're oil based and a lot nastier than the little dinky self-defense spray cans that women carry in their purse. Plus, if I were in a tent and heard something outside that may be a curious bear who didn't leave after I start yelling and blowing a whistle, I'd rather have the can because the odds of a kill shot in that situation would be pretty bleak.

Flying small planes in Alaska and some other places, you're required to have a survival long weapon. There're plenty of small 22s and shotguns that'd be awkward on the bike but do-able. Again, you'd again have to do the Canadian paperwork in triplicate.

Apart from the Alaska original question and in response to the Texan's question about open carry of a pistol if cc is not allowed, Maryland is like some of the other eastern States. You can't have it off your property unless going to/from the range, a shop, or repair. Period. Don't even think about open carry and cc permits are not granted. I personally know a young guy who got pulled over for a minor traffic stop and the officer found that he had a pistol in the vehicle. (He saw a shell and asked.) The location was near a girlfriend he'd simply detoured to, to say hi, and it didn't happen to be on a direct line between home and the shooting range. He was arrested and his vehicle towed. Even with witnesses happy to provide depositions for his timeline and the officer relating that there really was no problem, it took thousands of dollars and a couple of years to get the gun back and have the enforcement case dropped.
  13. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    you don't have a hidden stash compartment? :lol3
  14. the_yetiman

the_yetiman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just carry a hatchet. It's more intimidating than a knife in a puckering situation and no problems with the LEOs.
  15. The Raven

The Raven Banned

Oddometer:
    +1 I sold my 2 handguns as they were worthless. I have no interest in saving someone elses ass, and if someone breaks in I'll be going after them with a machete, hatchet, or if I have to shoot them...my Winchester 94

16. sigmund freud

sigmund freud Adventurer

Oddometer:

STAY AT HOME is my advice
  17. John Spartan

John Spartan Middle Age Crazy

Oddometer:
    Aside from checking the RCMP's Canada Firearms Program website which has been mentioned a few times, check out www.canadiangunnutz.com for more advice.
  18. kawasakifreak77

kawasakifreak77 the Asphalt Cowboy

Oddometer:
    I'd say what I think but don't want to start another wave of anti gun hogwash. After reading the entire thread, the OP asked a simple question to which there doesn't seem to be a simple answer, something I was curious about also. Me personally, as much as I like my little .38, I will be a guest in Canada & will respect their laws / wishes. Therefore I will leave my .38 right where it is now, under my pillow & hope that I am blessed with a safe journey, thank you.
  19. GoGo Gadget

GoGo Gadget Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I went to Nova Scotia, I asked the local Sheriff's Office if I could store it in one of their gun lockers for the week I was in Canada. I picked it up on my way back down.
  20. Pork Butt

Pork Butt Save the USA

Oddometer:
    Being a gun nutz of sorts I would not think about going near Canadia with a gun .... but bear spray in a tent sounds like suicide to me :eek1 ......... I had a device one upon a time called a quaram ?? (spell) loud as hell personal defense alarm..... I wonder if sonic devices have any effect on bears?

PB