Any women riders?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by giddyupgirl, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Newstar

Newstar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving Friday morning for my first true solo trip! On Friday, it's Delaware to Niagara Falls where I will meet my friend, Owen. Saturday, Owen will ride with me to Tobermory, ON where I'll stay at his cabin. Then I'm solo again, across the ferry and around Lake Huron to Sault Ste. Marie, and then down to Mackinaw City, MI where I'll meet the hubby on his way back from Prudhoe Bay.

I'm not nervous at all but I'm finding my friends, riders and non riders, are all concerned. I can understand the non riders....but the concern from my riding friends surprises me a little.
  2. tuffstuff

tuffstuff Livin' Life Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to hear all about your trip! You will have some great stories and an awesome time! So excited for you!

3. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've found that many folks seem to think it dangerous for a woman to take a solo trip even in a car much less on a bike. The number of folks who say "I can't believe you are doing that alone" is amazing. My husband and family who know me don't see any problem with my doing it and are less concerned about it than they would be some of the nephews and sons

Enjoy your trip, I actually enjoy solo trips quite a bit. The peace and not having to be on anyone else's time schedule is so exhilerating. I took the Lake Express Ferry across Lake Michigan this summer which was a first for me on a bike. One tip that helps friends/family feel more secure is to send them a text or image with location information when you stop for gas or some site that made you want to take a photo. My first trip I did that using an iPhone app, That way if he didn't hear from me again (I'd give him a call when I stopped for the night) they'd have a clue where to look.

I took the idea from a woman who used to drive cross country with just small kids for company (her husband was in the military) who would call and leave her location on her answering machine. When she arrived at her destination (usually visit to family) she'd call in and erase the info but if she didn't arrive where she was going someone could check her machine and find her last reported location.
  4. LooksGoodInRed

LooksGoodInRed aka TrilobiteMX

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys! I need to get myself an off road knee guards but without the shin protection part since I can't fit it in my boots :lol3. Do anyone have any recommendations? The protectors I have right now are for rollerblading and they hurt my knees :huh.
    Please help!
  5. swann

swann Just practicing...

Oddometer:
    Wow! [insert buggy eyed face here]. That is awful!!!! There isn't a huge in-stock selection where I am in Minnesota so some of my gear I ordered online but I was able to get part of it locally. I'd much rather buy locally because proper fit can be really hard to find in women's clothing. Plus it costs a lot of money and I like to see the products before buying them. I don't mind special ordering though instant gratification is more fun. ;)

I went to Moon Motorsports in Monticello and got super service on the sales floor (my hubby said their service department is good but very rude when he brings our four wheelers in, I haven't interacted with their service department myself). Moon has a good variety of women's jackets and pants in stock but not the colors/sizes I wanted so I special ordered them. They were great!

I just visited Stormy Cycle in Albertville and talked with Brad, one of the owners. He was very helpful and they are expanding with a focus on adding more gear for women, among other initiatives. I was really happy about my experience there especially because they are so close to our home and how well I was treated. I plan to visit Aerostitch in Duluth next week. I want to get the reflective helmet arrow stickers and the yellow magnets and maybe the fake parking tickets. :) I'll let you all know how that visit goes.

I'm so sorry to read about your experiences! How very rude! I would want to know if stores treat women poorly so I wouldn't bother shopping there if employees were allowed to treat customers so disrespectfully.
  6. swann

swann Just practicing...

Oddometer:
    I'm on the northwest side of the cities near Albertville. I'm interested in connecting with local riders too, men and women. I forget where I saw the list but I think there are two local groups for women. Women on Wheels and I can't remember the other one. I haven't been around long enough but I know local people also meet up on rides and events on this forum.
  7. swann

swann Just practicing...

Oddometer:
    Great suggestions on traveling solo! I'll implement some of them on my upcoming trip!
  8. Cuttle

Cuttle fuck the calm down

Oddometer:
    btw just in case you didn't know, there is another women's thread in trip planning:

linky :deal
  9. swann

swann Just practicing...

Oddometer:
    I didn't know that - thanks for the link!
  10. Gitana

Gitana A work in progress

Oddometer:
    Just a pointer for those of you who ride dirt, regarding Klim's Dakar pants. I've got big hips, and mine fit really well despite being made for men. They're the only dirt pants I've found that work for me. If you're a tiny woman, I think you have more options with regard to dirt gear. Klim's gear is expensive but lasts forever.
  11. tuffstuff

Oddometer:
    This is good to know... I have a couple pairs of pants but nothing I love. I have considered getting a good pair of Klim's pants but have been leery of not having a women's option.

12. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Oddometer:
    Link? I poked around in this thread but couldn't find one... thx! :)
  13. tuffstuff

Oddometer:
    Hey ladies, any of you who plan to come to the Shenandoah 500 this year ( or if you are even just thinking about it) shoot me a pm. I have a small group of ladies who will be riding together and if we can make it a larger group then even better!

If you don't know the event I am talking about check it out. http://watr.us/

I have gone 2 years in a rown now and it's probably my favorite event of all the things I do. :clap
  14. Cuttle

Oddometer:
    I always wanted to do it... but we have a smallish gathering on this weekend. Post up a little bit earlier for next year - hopefully I can swing it one day.

Have fun!!!
  15. tuffstuff

Oddometer:
    I will definitely post earlier next year! You need to come to this ride. It's pretty awesome! Enjoy your plans though :-)
  16. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I totally missed this, but figure I will answer anyway....

I have a single - a 2004 twin-spark FI one. Actually, I love the thing. Last weekend I was out on a highway trip, and was riding it from the pillion with my feet on the back pegs and the rest of me in a crouch. I was just a little bit topheavy, but the position was perfect. I clearly need to swap the rear pegs for rear sets! I can only imagine how funny I looked.

For Germany, things will change next year. We have Class MoFa - motorized bicycles of about 25cc, then Class M (15YO) - up to 50cc scooters (rollers), then A1 (16YO) which is 125cc and down, A2 (18YO) which is 25kW and down, and A3 which is the old unlimited class. What's changing is that you used to be able to take A2 at 18YO and it would magically turn into A3 after two years. As of January, that will not be possible. You will have to take the A3 exam to get it, but you can't do that until you have two years in. And if you want to take A3 directly, you still have to be 25YO. All of the smaller classes are included in the bigger ones.

Cars are cars, unless they weigh more than 3500kg or are automatic. If you take your exam with an automatic, you are stuck with automatics until you pass the exam with a stick. They brand your license. You also need a class BE to tow anything over 750kg. I got that one, too. :)

Feel free to ask me stuff about Germany. It's pretty wonderful. I miss MI, though.....
  17. Cuttle

Oddometer:
    that's a new one to me - but it makes sense considering all the steps im "Stufenfuehrerschein". I'm just glad I got my license before it all went into effect and saved a ton of money (it kinda dates me... :norton).

Funny thing is, that when I moved to the states I never had to take a driving test - they just looked at my license and said "if you made it in Germany you don't need to drive or ride here" :lol3
  18. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It varies by state since some states have reciproicty with different European countries. For example there is at list at http://www.german-way.com/germany-drivers-license-reciprocity.html for reciprocity, full or partial by state. Since my motorcycle/car licenses were issued by Texas I have full reciprocity with Germany while someone from Florida would have to take a written but not road test. Someone from Califonia is SOL since apparently there is no reciprocity for anyone staying more than a year.
  19. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Actually, that site is wrong. No state has full reciprocity for motorcycles. We found that out at work this year.

Many states have full reciprocity for cars <3500kgs, and I think Iowa has reciprocity for certain commercial vehicles (due to Case/Harvester/Deere/etc), but you have to have had a German license for the full Probezeit (a sort of Cinderella period) of two years before a bike endorsement will transfer.
  20. avocado_sandwich

avocado_sandwich herbivorousmotogirl

Oddometer:
    I am seriously considering it this year. I have a few days to think about it. Thanks for reminding me!