Texas flag BMW Roundel / Emblem / Badge / Logo

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Snarky, May 4, 2012.

1. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer:
    I saw a BMW car drive home with a different kind of badge. Rather than the pseudo-bavarian flag it instead had a Texas flag in the center.

Google was able to find a site selling them.
    [​IMG]

The only problem is that it only lists the badges by car. Near as I can tell the Badge on my GS Adv is about 2.75" in diameter. So I guess all I need to to do now is find a BMW car that has a similar sized badge and match them up.

Has anyone replaced their emblem with a carbon fiber or black and white version? Or even this flag version? Anyone happen to know of a BMW car with a similar badge size as the R1200GS?

Edit: I just measured the badges on our BMW 635, the Front badge was 3.125" and the rear badge is 3.375". This also reminds me, the next time I'm at the hardware store I need to grab a metric mark containing tape measure. All the damn tape measures in my tool box are fractional inches. haha.

I found a ruler. The badge on my bike is 70mm in diameter.
  2. roadtrip22

roadtrip22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've heard the new BMW z4 side marker BMW Badge may work. But that's what I've heard. I haven't tried it yet though so can't really offer much help past that.
  3. krellheat

krellheat Milk Crate Challenged

Oddometer:
  4. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer:
  5. krellheat

Oddometer:
    I received an email asking for the the diameter of the blue/white quadrants, just inside the chrome outline.
    I measured 39.5 mm on an r1100r roundel (overall 70mm) using digital calipers.

Can you verify on yours before I reply.
  6. sno-where

sno-where Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Blasphemy!

Texas could never make a beemer unless it could hold a 500lb rider!:lol3
  7. krellheat

Oddometer:
    But they do for Connecticut yankees
  8. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer:
    I got the same email. I used the overall diameter, so I told him 40mm. 39.5 is likely more correct.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm pretty sure the Beemer already has a 500 pound carrying capacity.

Texas is home to the Toyota Tundra manufacturing plant, Texas Instruments, and NASA's mission control.

So if Texas built the GS it would be even more huge, the electronics would always work properly, and if something went wrong it would be in a spectacular explosion. Watch out for those bad o-rings and killer foam.
  9. krellheat

Oddometer:
    The difference is due to the curvature of the roundel on R100R. Its not flat like on my F650GS (that one is smaller) or the newer r1200gs I want.
  10. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer:
    When I was searching for if anyone had modified the roundel before, I found this image in a post from a year ago.

[​IMG]

Stolen from FrankS, with the idea stolen from someone else...

I thought it was pretty cool.
  11. krellheat

Oddometer:
    Cool. Any vynil sign shop should be able to wrap the panels.
  12. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  13. krellheat

Oddometer:
    Ya! Mon! Irie.

Got spliff?
  14. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, I have some experience with messing around with vinyl myself. I just dont know if I have THAT much Texas patriotism in me.

I thought at first the roundel decal might have been a different badge custom made, but actually reading their page and knowing it's just a decal. I might have a different company than Velocity print and cut the roundel decal. I think the blue field might look better without the chrome split. Also I could get the mask cut with the same width and height as the original badge, and backed in a material that is more conducive to the wet application of vinyl found a more perfect fit.
  15. sno-where

sno-where Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now that looks cool with out trying to fake someone out on where the machine was made. There is a huge difference between being proud of where you are from, or being looked at as being a poser. Its like someone sticking a Porsche badge on a Honda, it just does not work right. Just my 2 cents and nothing personal to Texans. I would feel the same way to a Colorado flag used in the roundell.
  16. TimothyCaseTimothy

TimothyCaseTimothy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm discovering that much like Texas, BMW ownership is a state of mind...
  17. SiouxsieCat

SiouxsieCat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice. I was hoping to find something similar. I'm sure it won't attract any attention from law enforcement ;)
    [​IMG]
  18. EggChaser

EggChaser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ignoring the joke internet graphics as they are not sold, aren't BMW usually very protective of their trademark, so anyone selling unofficially modified logos gets a visit/letter from legal types?
  19. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer:
    No.

You can make a logo that looks as similar to the BMW logo as you want. It becomes a parody, protected by law. At least in the United States. As long as you aren't using it to sell other motorcycles it's fine, or somehow selling millions of them and confusing the brand. You may want a declaimer saying "not officially licensed", that's probably about it.

Also there's about a thousand different bootleg BMW logoed merchandised items on amazon and ebay. That I can't explain; either they like the free advertising, they don't care about their trademark, or there is some law protecting those sellers.

BMW is a strange company, they've been out of business a few times. They were a military contractor on the losing side of 2 world wars, they were in a country split and held hostage by the victors for 50 years. The BMW roundel was 'patented' almost a hundred years ago in the imperial patent office of germany, which probably doesn't exist any more. I'm sure they renewed it in whatever bureaucratic office exists now, and I'm sure it has a U.S. trademark. But they don't seem to bother. Actually no car company really does. Tons of Ford and GM merchandise and logo parodies out their too, and they are much more powerful companies.
  20. SJSharkfan

SJSharkfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMW = Bob Marley & the Wailers? I never new. Now I have a new smart ass answer when people ask what BMW means.