"Which GPS Do I Buy" Thread Fest - Ask your question/Find your answer HERE!

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by duck, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to replace my Magellan Meridian Platinum with something a little newer with a coloe touchscreen and is waterproof/resistant.

One of the nice things about the Meridian is that it does driving directions and also has a 2000 point tracklog that I can save at the end of each day. When I get home I upload the tracks to my PC and can make track maps of my tours.

So, here's what I need:

1) Driving directions
    2) Color screen
    3) Touch screen would be nice but having to use buttons wouldn't be the end of the world
    4) Waterproof/resistant
    5) Capacity to hold a day's ride worth of tracking data and a way to save it and transfer it to my PC

I looked at the Magellan Crossover but it looks like it only saves tracks in the Marine and Outdoor modes, not the NAV(street) mode.
  2. ylexot

ylexot Super Genius

Oddometer:
  3. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    Just to answer your question, the Garmin 276C is very good, had mine for a few years and I love it, you should be able to get refurbished ones from Garmin pretty cheaply, just be carful if you buy off the net NIB (new in box) Garmin service support is legendary but some items you buy online won't be covered. Three notes, first is you will want to buy extra memory (buy the larger size and you can find it on ebay) and you will have to buy software as well (unless you already have compatible stuff), finally. it does not have a touch screen.

I am using BMW Nav III, (it is also a Garmin product) I bought mine when I bought my bike and got it for significantly less. This is a very nice unit that has the street level software preloaded, has a nice touch screen, and additional built in memory, I love it! I use the supplied auto kit and use it in my cage as well.

Come to think of it, I may have a 276C for sale.......
  4. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    ...still around if you look for cheap...
  5. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    276c !!!!!!!!
  6. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    It doesn't have sufficient tracking capabilities. I need something that'll track at least 800 miles and let me store it for later.
  7. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    I looked at the manual. It only has tracking in Marine mode. Is it still keeping a track when in Automotive mode? In other words, could I run it in Automotive mode all day and then at the end of the day switch it to Marine mode to save the day's track for later use to draw a map of my actual route?

I like to save my track and then do maps of my actual trip with my TOPO software. I have tools to convert any track so TOPO can use it.

Example: http://home.comcast.net/~smithduck/bmw6/bmw6_files/bmw6fullmap.jpg

The tracks also help me if I want the coordinates to visit a campground I liked on a prior tour.
  8. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer

Oddometer:
    I have a Zumo and it will definately save tracks for that kind of distance (800 miles). I have not had personal wexperience with the 276 but my friend saves tracks all the time on his.

I think the 276 is better for technical riders and offroad tracks, but the Zumo works perfectly for street riding.

Hope this helps...

-jeff
  9. dec

dec COOP

Oddometer:
    Zumo 450 Vote
  10. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    This is the place to look for information on "Which GPS should I buy", et.al.

It is a collection of the last 12 to 18 months of similar questions and answers from the Layin' Down Tracks forum.

The older posts have been saved in this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363482

Please note that if you post a similar question in the forum, it will be merged into this thread to contribute to the collective knowledge regarding "Which GPS is right for me"

Dave
  11. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I suppose you might find more info here...I will be using an Intaride EVO+BT & Liberty unit. I don't have personal knowledge of the other units on the market.
  12. frewhl

frewhl daily rider

Oddometer:
    off road,or no road.

276 has all of the true navigation and track back features.
  13. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

As frewhl mentioned,it's more for the multiple nav features that you might need off road.

Remember that the x76 series are originally built as marine units,so they are built for better element protection and there is a whole lot of actual use experience out there,whereas the Zumo is still relatively new.

The x76 series is also one of the few acceptable units that Helge Peterson and his Globeriders organization recommend for their trip participants.

JR356
  14. htbyron

htbyron n00b - now in orange as well as blue

Oddometer:
  15. fallzboater

fallzboater Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Oddometer:
    I just bought an etrex Legend Cx because: a) I'm not made of money, and; b) I wanted something light enough that I could use it on my MTB or for mountaineering as well. According to Garmin's specs, the battery life is about double the 276, and it weighs less than half as much. I'm sure the 276 is a nicer unit, but the Legend Cx probably has enough functionality for most users. Load and save waypoints and tracks, follow routes, etc.

If one had the funds for both a 276 or Zumo for bike/car, and a small unit for hiking, that'd be the way to go.
  16. jkersh1

jkersh1 Live it, or live with it

Oddometer:
    If you don't have to have a Garmin, take a look at the Magellan Roadmate 2200T. Looks like it comes out of the same Chinese factory as the Zumo, and has a list of features, and disadvantages, that is very similar. Color touch screen, SD memory card storage, MP3 and photo (?) files, 8 hour Li-ion battery life, and same size. Biggest disadvantage of both IIRC is the inability to load complete routes from Mapsource et. al.

A very un-Zumo price of $250 at Costco. I bought one for Father's Day, but returned it after failing to get it to talk to my Win98 laptop.
  17. TomW

TomW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the etrex is smaller and lighter than the 276 or Zumo, but has a much smaller screen. 'Boater makes a good point about having separate GPSs for riding and backpacking. I still use an old GPS III+ for hiking.

Cheers.
  18. daGeeeze

daGeeeze Geeezed lightning

Oddometer:
    So far I haven't noticed or maybe run across side by side pictures of the 2610 - 2820 series next to a 550. I'm curious to see how the screen sizes compare. Also odd is that I still haven't found a 550 in a store.
  19. max.headroom

max.headroom That "Retro" Digital, Ummmm ..... Dude.

Oddometer:
    Greetings everyone .....

I just got back from a Rally out in Eastern Oregon, had a great time, but wished I had a GPS unit. I talked to several people at the Rally, and they all had Garmins, but different makes and models. The one I fully remember is the Zuma. I think another one was a 26cx7, or something like that ....

Anyhow .... I don't need the newest of the new, and I would like to save some bucks if I can and score something off of E-Bay possibly, or get some sort of refurb unit, etc ....

Could you all give me some information on units that are only slightly old, so they still take the SD Card, and give hotel / food information, as well as of course, route info, statics info (speed, etc) and stuff like that?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! :D

Take it easy and ride safe everyone! :1drink

G.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  20. EdOriginal

EdOriginal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    have had a Magellian 2200 for 3 months and love it.
    Had a Garmin but got frusted continually with 1 1/12 hour battery life...defeated the use of the GPS.

Megellian 2200 comes with simple operation, MP3 Player, SD memory card,
    Photo viewing of the screen. Address list to store common destinations, and multiple trips can be combined/connected. The beauty of the 2200 is it's simplicity. $299 at Costco. It is not water proof but I keep a plastic bag to cover it as needed. Attached a cord to the mount (incase a bump causes it to bounch loose) and use the suction cup on the inside of my 1150GS Windscreen. Have a mount also for attaching to a KLR650.

New is usually cheaper. This 2200 sold for $400 6 months ago.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.