Poll: Reputation of slipper clutches!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by biker87, Nov 28, 2012.

1. biker87

biker87 n00b

Oddometer:
    Dear Adventure Rider Community,

I need your help.
    Currently I’m working on my final thesis in Germany at the university Ravensburg.
    I’m particularly interested in your opinion about slipper clutches or 'back torque-limiting' clutches to form an opinion for this motorcycles-accessory. I place this survey in several forums and hope you bikers can support me.

I thank all those who take 5 minutes time to answer my 5-7 Questions.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dG44YjYzd08zb2NQOXdhX0t1Z1UzNVE6MA

In addition, I would like to discuss your views and opinions in this topic.

Thanks for the support, would be great if I get a lot of opinions for my final thesis.:clap

With best regards
    Florian
  2. Myfuture_yourdebt

Myfuture_yourdebt Banned

Oddometer:
    They are very popular on Supermoto bikes especially for competition/racing. I'm sure there's some racers who don't use them but there are more or less universally fitted on Supermoto bikes used in competition.
  3. JTucker

JTucker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had never ridden a bike with a slipper clutch until I got my Caponord. Wow, what a difference, so much smoother going into a corner, sometimes I go down two or three gears on entry. Now I'm spoiled and want one on all my street bikes.
  4. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    The only thing I don't like about the back-torque limiter on the Connie is that it limits engine braking a bit too much for my liking...
  5. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    A slipper's not necessary for a streetbike as long as the rider knows how to downshift properly using rev-matching.
  6. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:

Kind of my thoughts as well.

IMHO, at best they spoil riders; and at worst teach bad habits that could be potentially life threatening. What happens when somebody spoiled by a slipper clutch hops on a bike without one, enters a turn "with gusto" while banging down two gears and then locks up the rear wheel? Hopefully they squeeze the clutch and save their ass -- at worst they highside.

I think it's cool tech, but it annoys me to see them being put on a stock Ninja 300.
  7. klp

klp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Slipper clutches are great and all bikes should have them. I've had several bikes with them and they rock.

However, I think their usefulness is limited on the street - track use is where they really shine - one less thing to think about on corner entry.
  8. Myfuture_yourdebt

Myfuture_yourdebt Banned

Oddometer:
    You see them on some beginner bikes (Ninja 300, some Ducati 6-series Monsters, etc.) because they reduce rear wheel chatter in the event of ill-timed/mismatched (beginner) or emergency downshifts. This in turn reduces the chances for the rear tire to break traction and potentially cause a loss of control and an accident in said circumstances. Of course those with slipper clutches can enjoy these benefits to the n'th degree while on the track. I've read some saying it can allow some more lee-way in the gears than normal clutch modulation alone which can allow one to stay in the faster gear when they couldn't before.

I wouldn't mind seeming them in any factory bike I may purchase in the future or having one in either of my current bikes if money wasn't an issue. I have yet to hear about any real disadvantages. If I hopped on a bike without a slipper clutch, I would ride it like a bike without a slipper clutch...Just like I did when I got on my buddy's SV650 with a reverse gearbox. It's not like I had any practice at that, but I was fine. Did I want to ride in traffic? No, but it wasn't that hard to immediately adapt to and that was a much bigger difference than having a slipper clutch or not.
  9. ttpete

Oddometer:
    Putting one on a small entry-level bike doesn't make sense, because there are no consequences for making an improper gear change. It hinders learning proper riding technique. After years of riding, shifting becomes instinctive, and one no longer consciously thinks about it, so a slipper isn't necessary.

Another downside is that a slipper doesn't allow bump or roller starting. It just disengages if you try to.
  10. Domiken

Domiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure about this statement, can you clarify? My SV1000 bump starts all the time with a bad battery.
  11. ttpete

Oddometer:
    Maybe they made it possible somehow. I know that dry clutch Ducatis won't.
  12. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Never ridden one, but the new R1200GS coming out next year is supposed to have one.
  13. Myfuture_yourdebt

Myfuture_yourdebt Banned

Oddometer:
    This was right under your nose...
  14. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    You misunderstand ttpete. He is advocating consequences for a botched downshift -- how else will the rider learn to never do that again? :lol3
  15. Myfuture_yourdebt

Myfuture_yourdebt Banned

Oddometer:
    If the downshift is that bad, they'll still have issues. I just don't see the need to punish beginners for bad downshifts with a potential crash. I think there's enough input that you did something wrong even with a bad downshift with a slipper clutch that beginner's will understand to not do that again.
  16. ttpete

Oddometer:
    Considering that it's only 300 ccs, I don't think the consequences would be too bad because most beginners aren't getting into a shift caused high side situation for awhile. If they do, it'll likely be from snapping the throttle shut in a turn when the back end gets loose.
  17. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've owned and ridden both, but I never wanted to 'get used to a bad habit' so I treat each bike like there's no slipper. To be honest I've never felt one slip, but maybe that's just because it's so seamless it's not noticeable.

For me if I am bike shopping it's a non-issue.