Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500km from the nearest paved road, solo in Northern BC.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Crooked Creek, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ben , so very sorry to hear about the Winnie, but can you imagine the fun that family will have for years to come rehashing this awesome trip? Great stories, better record them for later collections.

I have helped several friends with similar problems and I was told you could replace the engine with a short block or long block quickly . Also I have replaced 2 360 ford 's with junk yard engines. HOpe you do not have too much grief over this.

Great Karma for those friends that you have coming to collect you and yours.:lol3

Ride on, best of luck

gale
  2. Crooked Creek

Crooked Creek Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New video with great scenery from the area.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wQa2eZ5M7y8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="853"></iframe>
  3. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been an environmental geologist doing cleanups of our polluted groundwater for almost 30 years now and when I ponder what we humans have done in the name of "development" it makes me so sad. I don't really consider myself an "environmentalist" in the strictest sense of the word, I like to think I'm more a "conservationist" - I drive a 4X4 truck, ride a motorcycle just for fun, sometimes even use plastic garbage bags. But in all of that I try to keep in mind where all those resources came from, who and what was or will be affected by my use of them, and what happens to them when I'm done using them. In my small way I try to make a difference while still living as a human being in a modern age. In my career I've seen a lot of horribly contaminated, mined out, utterly "developed" areas but I'm happy to say I think enough of us get it now that we are making positive progress in many arenas.

That was an outstanding video... Thanks, Ben!

Doug
    Pete S likes this.
  4. Creekgeek

Creekgeek Master Finger Painter

Oddometer:
    Public discussion for public land use seems like a good idea, eh? Nice pics during the discussion. When did your kayak get wet Ben? :amazon
  5. loph917

loph917 Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    i'm not sure why this is in 'day trippin'. this certainly doesn't seem like a day trip to me! i'm lovin' it and your style of puttin' thought to paper. i'll be keepin' an eye towards more of your journey!

i've been lucky enough to see and experience about .00001% of canada and whole-EE-cow just that little bit was pretty. BC looks absolutely fantastic.

lookin' forward to more!
  6. Crooked Creek

Oddometer:
    Well said, Doug. I'm in the same boat.

Kayak?

Well, the rules are it has to be a week long for an RR. Some would take more than 3 days to do 3000km, but when you only have 3 days...
  7. Creekgeek

Oddometer:
    Had to go back and see that your video clip was titled "Packraft" :deal while I noted you were seated on the floor of the craft using a double bladed paddle similar to how I "kayak". Is "Packraft" different than an inflatable "kayak"? :hmmmmmPerhaps I missed the part of this RR where you got to play in the water?

Sorry if I'm out to lunch here. I may be working too hard and reading your posts too late in the dayz. Thanks for all the time and effort you're putting into the story.
  8. Crooked Creek

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I thought you were just ribbing me about my packraft (as some Kayakers who have not yet "seen the light" have been known to do :D. Also the :amazon threw me off.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NIBq0YGZKns" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But as far as your question, the packrafting is still yet to come. It's been a little crazy catching up from my "vacation", but I'll get back at it as soon as I can. Not even halfway done my RR yet.
  9. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    ....from you trip, Ben!!!

And not to muck up the thread too much, I watched this the other night and it was a pretty good watch. Hoping you can get in Canada....couldn't find another link for viewing.
  10. Creekgeek

Oddometer:
    Great. The poking the hornet's nest was my metaphor to poke you into talking about your inflatable girl-friend getting pumped and then wet. Seemed like that would be interesting to some folks, but having only a kayak, there is no pumping, it stays hard. honestly, just thought I was missing the VIP section of this thread that I had not yet made enough posts to access and view. Glad that is not the case... (right?)

Totally appreciate keeping the kids happy, banking points with Momma, while earning credits from your job.
  11. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing that! ... Best thing I've watched in a long while
  12. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    :ddog
  13. Crooked Creek

Oddometer:
    Sorry, been hard at work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll second that sentiment!
  15. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ben , if that is this year's bull elk, I will put my " dibbs' in for a little hunk of back strap off that beauty.!!!

Nice way to feed that awesome family also. Many years my family of 3 kids lived on wild game. Got to the point beef tasted too 'tallow", if that is the word I am searching for:lol3

ride on, gale
  16. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    Absolutely Beautiful Animal!
  17. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your job really sucks!!! :lurk.....waiting for more to the story.
  18. Crooked Creek

Oddometer:
    Yep, got it on Monday while fishing :D. I know what you're saying, we don't buy any meat either. 100% organic, free range and lean, you can't beat wild meat. Feel free to come and grab your portion whenever.

Yeah sorry. I actually have been really busy; all those pics were from a brief Sunday night/Monday interlude.
  19. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    I know how this is going to sound....so try and take it with a grain of salt. I cannot stomach wild game at all. I chalk it up to eating store bought meat all my life. Elk, Moose, Bison.....I just can't do it.

I have relatives that hunt and who've tried to pass off moose meat as beef during family get togethers and whatnot....no matter how the meal was prepared....I could always tell......and I didn't eat it.

It's too bad really....39 years old and a seriously picky eater....still....:lol3
  20. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    HELLS BElls Merc, you have at least 50 more years to change , well a little any how!!!:lol3