2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Bonsai Elephant

Bonsai Elephant Banned

Oddometer:
    Adventure 1190S!

Love it, great job!

:thumb
  2. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    :nod

Good job. Love this 2014 model.
  3. Larch

Larch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you really love Honda or Ducati, you can buy a red bike; but you don't have to.

If you live, eat, and breathe Yamaha road racers, you can buy a blue (or blue and white) bike.

And if, poor soul, you have a neurosis for Kawasaki, said manufacture will oblige you with your fix of a lime-green missile.

But you don't have to. All of the above will happily sell you a variant of all their models with nary a trace of their corporate hue.

But not KTM. Every single bike they make has something on it in orange: a sticker, a shock spring, a crash bar, or brake-lever; or the whole thing. Now, I applaud their passion, and their drive, but I have a problem: orange makes me puke. Do you think I can I claim back the price of a respray on medical grounds?

Flame on...:2guns:jkam
  4. cladv

cladv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks hubilado. When you say "hammered" ...means I need to be more agressive with the gear change ...and the acceleration?

I wants to have news from dealer today (the bike still under observation).
  5. dab68

dab68 Adventurer

Oddometer:

This is an R model!!!

21" and 18" :clap
  6. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    It was an R, it's an S model now :D

(just giving you a hard time)
    Look at standard and S 950/990 models and you'll get it
  7. Bonsai Elephant

Bonsai Elephant Banned

Oddometer:
    When you run the engine in it doesn't do any good to pussyfoot around it, you need to run through the gears a lot, get some stress on the engine and make it work a bit.

I think it's better to exceed manufacturer's recommendations a little and do an oil change half way through than stick to them and wait it out to change the oil.

But there are as many opinions on this as there are new bikes, and mine's worth exactly what you paid for it!

:D
  8. shay

shay reading is hard

Oddometer:
    Can someone please check and photograph their brake lever area to see what's missing / fallen off my bike?

[​IMG]

I've no idea when the cover for this area beside the brake lever fell off :eek1

Thanks!

Edit: false alarm, I found the photos in the manual, there isn't a missing cover, phew !!! Shows how bad my pre bike checks have been before this !!
  9. Tancakar

Tancakar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hehe good i was about to look at it :) glad read all the text :)
  10. Corsica101

Corsica101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Did an 1800km trip, kept my speed low since I still had to do my 1000km service, done at 2400k's :(, so fastest I went was 160km/hr or something. All stable at that speed for me.
    What do you call high speed?

Found the standard small screen too low and creating a fair bit of turbulence...
  11. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    One of reasons I'm looking at the KTM is to enjoy the back roads. Here is a great video of the 1190 on road, dirt and water. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lngn_N6KZqM

12. Audun

Audun Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. cladv

cladv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally my bike is back.

The dealer believes at first service they changed the oil, but using a low level of this. As you mention, now they are filling a little bit extra in this model.

By the way, other bike had a similar problem. In this case the rider was flying at 270km/h. Apparently the high pressure can cause a problem if the components aren't correctly set.
  14. Bonsai Elephant

Bonsai Elephant Banned

Oddometer:
    :huh

Er, yeah, it just might!

:lol3
  15. aus636

aus636 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Come on these bikes are designed to be ridden hard or else what is the point of buying one. Like some people say ride it as if you stole it:evil and just remember to change the oil regularly
  16. cladv

cladv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep. That it's the idea.
  17. Audun

Audun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My run in rules:
    1. Make long runs, no 10 km commuting on run in.
    2. Make sure oil and coolant is warm, then ride actively. (Impossible if breaking rule 1)
    3. No redline rpms the first 1k km, but no puddling around at 2000 rpm either.

In short, all parts in engine needs to get warm and THEN wear to perfect fit. Note that the oil do not get warm as quickly as the coolant. Use the display we have on the 1190. Get as much of the wear particles out the first 1k km. The metal you tear loose after that is likely to be in the engine the next 15k km.
    Feel free to comment, but it will not matter to me since mine is done.

Audun
  18. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    There is some guy who has a website and he advocates breaking new bikes in hard. Run the piss out of it, up through the gears and get it up to redline - just don't hold it there.

I broke a 2007 950 SMR in that way and unlike every other 950 I've heard about, mine used no oil and it ran very strong.
  19. speed_racer

speed_racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I've heard that from people who rebuild performance car engines, they will run them on the dyno for like 10 hours of all different rpm ranges but give them runs of full throttle..

The corvette engines were tested on full throttle for 24 hours to make sure they dont break before putting them in the cars, Gen 4's or something.. My project manager trainer used to work for GM told me that.
  20. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Supporter

Oddometer:
    We visited the KTM Factory in Mattighofen this spring (scroll to "Factory Tour" at top of page) while on our long ride and, while there, were treated to a turn through the engine plant where they were, then, making the 1190 motors. Those engines were, almost immediately (most within less than an hour of being built) run on a dyno, some of that time at VERY high RPM's. It was quite an elaborate booth where all fluid dynamics were carefully measured and recorded. We discussed this (break in) issue with our tour guide; a young mostly marketing guy, but who, like nearly all KTM employees, was definitely a moto man. He said, probably not to be quoted, that some of the recommendations in the manual (s) were more to satisfy the corporate attorneys than anything else and that the engines required some "hard run-in time" if they were to be brought to their potential. This, unfortunately, was after our own experience was pretty much over and our bike's engine had now, finally, stopped using oil. In our defense (if we need any), for the first three weeks of our tour it was (mostly) raining and very cold (ice and snow) so we really didn't have much opportunity to "let the bike out" much at all until we'd ridden for nearly a month.