Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2014, 02:08 AM   #796
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniorfogo View Post
Yep Jr...

It's already been reported here on the Oz Forum - in the Australasian Safari 2014 thread earlier today;

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....7&postcount=92

... look's like carpente found it..."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:52 AM   #797
GSnovice
Beer me up, Scotty!

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogo72 View Post
Message to GSNOVICE
(1) I am disappointed that you have left it so long to post these photos, they are bloody brilliant.
(2) Some of your pics of the 700 are better then what I sent ADB to use for their story.
(3) Great to meet you and your wife, sorry we were a little under the pump and didn't get to have a beer together.
(4) Your positioning and timing of the action shots are great for someone that looked like they were lost all weekend.
(5) You know how it works now, see you there next year, I will be just watching next year as well.
Cheers mate good work.
Thanks Fogo, I fiddled and farted around a lot before I got round to posting them. I looked at them on my laptop and didn't think much of them. Sorted through them on a better monitor and some of 'em came up OK. Didn't realise how much you were under the pump till we chatted with your wife on the Sunday night, bloody great effort getting Jr back out.
Yeah, we were a bit lost, especially on Sat morning, but with a bit of help from Rob (?) from Melbourne, we worked it out.
If all goes to plan, we'll be out of the country next year at Condo time, but I reckon we'll get there again one day. I've got more pics of the green meanie, PM me an email address and I'll send them to you.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #798
Tex_Aus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
A few points I came away with in no particular order:

1. Don't get hung up on bike and gear. Run whatever you have got. A mate and I finished mid field on 12 year old bikes with $25 roadbooks, standard tripmeters, retread tyres, HD tubes and a sense of humour. A 450 is heaps big enough for an average rider. Although, that big green thing was easy enough to reel in through the tight stuff, but it sandblasted me more than once on the next open fenceline.
2. Gear you bike tallish. Theres no tight first gear goat tracks, but there are some long transports on the tar.
3. Fitness is not overly critical, its nothing like a 6 hour enduro. Pay attention to riding gear gear chaffing etc. Simple things like knee guards rubbing will chew your legs to bits after 2 days. Comfy bike seat is the go too as you won't be in the Marc Coma standing attack position all day.
4. The navigation is not as hard to pick up as you might think. Have a look at RallyNavigator.com and build yourself some routesheets around home and practice with them. Getting the roadbook working properly and practising changing scrolls is as important as learning how to read roadbooks and trip meters on the fly. As sb_250y said, sticky tape will be the most important thing in your bum bag.
5. Take one reliable mate as a support crew. GTinAus mentioned elsewhere here that your support crew needs to be professional and understand your financial commitment. The logistics of the service and fuel stops and service crew instructions needs to be studied before your second beer on Friday night. But if rider and support crew follow the instructions it will all work out.
6. Pay attention to the start of the stages after a service. It might be 20km down the road in which case you need to allow time to get there before your start time.
7. Treat it like a trail ride and you will have a ball.

A man after my own heart. I completed the Condo 750 back in 2011 on a 250cc bike and a tiny budget and had a blast.

Definitely get the navigation gear set up and working properly before you get there (I didn't).

Tex
Tex_Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:25 AM   #799
enookway
Are we having fun yet?

Oddometer: 265
Tex,

Were you on a TTR in 2011?
enookway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #800
Tex_Aus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Tex, Were you on a TTR in 2011?
Yes I was. Sorry about the late reply!

Tex
Old 08-28-2014, 03:13 AM   #801
enookway
Are we having fun yet?

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Aus View Post
Yes I was. Sorry about the late reply!

Tex
Thought you sounded familiar.
I chewed your ear off outside the admin hut on Sunday night that year about how much it really cost and how hard it was. I walked away thinking "bloody hell, I can do that, cos I have an old bike worth FA and no budget either" and have scratched my chin for 3 years until I had the opportunity to do it.
Ending up living 200k south helped a bit.
enookway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #802
Tex_Aus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thought you sounded familiar.
I chewed your ear off outside the admin hut on Sunday night that year about how much it really cost and how hard it was. I walked away thinking "bloody hell, I can do that, cos I have an old bike worth FA and no budget either" and have scratched my chin for 3 years until I had the opportunity to do it.
Ending up living 200k south helped a bit.
Can't say I recall exactly, but if it was Sunday night I would've been well into my "re-hydrating" regime...

If I helped you decide to do it in any small way, then I'm very glad.

I still aim to do this event again, maybe in 2015 if everything works out. I sold the TTR, so would have to find something else to ride as I don't think any of my vinduro bikes would cut it.

Tex
Old 09-12-2014, 06:47 AM   #803
nry OP

Oddometer: 1,334
With Safari only a week away I got this sent to me this morning by one the guys who came along with Scoutin (Matt) to Condo this year.

Lots of inmates in this video - see how many you can spot

I love Condo and I really like what Brad has done with this vid. Hopefully it will get more guys to take the plunge.

Word of warning, if you're watching with earphones in the fly noises will have you swatting your ears at the midday service of day two

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ondo%20750.m4v

Sequent almost rear ends me in the service area ooer missus !

40 minutes of Condo Awesomeness
nry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #804
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,529
Nice, and there he is "Cranky".
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #805
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Nice! I'm only 10 minutes in and it's already better than Long Way Round....
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote