Relocating to BC, ideas on moving the bikes in December

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Brian06, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Brian06

Brian06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So the plan is to move to Vernon BC (from Winnipeg, MB) in December. I need to figure out how to transport my 2 bikes out there. I had been thinking of renting a UHaul open trailer but the bikes would probably end up covered in salt and road grime by the time I got there and they would end up sitting for a few months rusting. I'm just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation before, that other options do I have?
  2. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buy a big tarp. Lay it out on the trailer, drive the bikes onto the trailer. Wrap it all up.
  3. drbike

drbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I purchased and transported a vintage BMW mid winter. I strapped her into the back of the PU and then plastic wrapped it all with some plastic film from Home depot.

Since your leaving from home you may want to platic wrap then pull up the tarp. The really sweet thing about the wrap was there was no flapping and even the leather seat was prairie dry after 24 hours of winter driving.

Drive safe....Canadian winter roads, hauling a trailer, enjoy. By the way welcome to BC.
  4. Brian06

Brian06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ideas. I hadn't thought of plastic wrapping it. The tarp idea kind of scares me if the wind is catching it.

Can't wait to start riding in beautiful British Columbia :)
  5. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, it all needs to be very well secured and then watched for the first few km at speed. After the first touchup you're usually good to go.
  6. Eastbayview

Eastbayview Ride On

Oddometer:
    Your escaping! Well done.:D
  7. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Rent an enclosed trailer?? Won't be much more expensive. :1drink
  8. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Were it me, I'd buy a good used one, have lots of extra room for other stuff, then sell it when I was done. At worst, it would cost the same as a rental, but experience tells me it'll be much cheaper in the end.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Just checked UHAUL website and a 6' by 12' enclosed trailer is just over $500 one way. :1drink
  10. Brian06

Brian06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I checked that too but I wonder if there are D rings inside or anything to attach straps to? I do like the idea of buying a used trailer and selling it once out there but the place I'm at has limited parking :S

Anyway thanks for the great suggestions.
  11. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl
    If you just tarp it, any flapping will rub the paint off. If it's just a triumph, I wouldn't worry about it though.
  12. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Cheap used trailer....I'd be interested in that. I am not too far from Vernon either and should get one before Xmas.

But, wrapping the bike?? Anyone does Vacuum wrapping in the prairies? Spray the crap out of them with good anti corrosion treatments, add some dessicant and get them wrapped up.
  13. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC
    In an open trailer shrink wrap is the way to go. Motorcycle/atv dealers carry the big shrink wrap.....check with them and buy some.

Otherwise an enclose trailer is the way to go but you will likely have to add your own tie downs and front wheel chocks.
  14. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Of great riding around Vernon. You'll love it.
  15. shuswap biker

shuswap biker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tarp, econo role of construction grade cellophane, shrink wrap, all work good.

+1 on the Good riding all around Vernon.

What are you going to be doing when you get there?
  16. Brian06

Brian06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I landed an IT job with Tolko Industries in their head office in Vernon. I'm still in awe of how scenic and twisty the roads are out there. :D
  17. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    Congrats and colour me jealous. I've been applying for programming jobs since late last winter out there. Lots of work for me in the Vancouver area, but I don't want to live there. I've been applying the Kelowna/Kamloops area.
  18. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Renting a trailer for $500.00 plus the huge fuel burn may just enough to off set the cost of an open deck utility trailer.

Tarp it, but make sure it's from the bottom up as mentioned previously. Cover the bike with a flannel sheet or an old comforter before you close the tarp. It will prevent scratching of the paint.

Sell the trailer in the spring ...
  19. DaveBall

DaveBall Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Bungie4, If you are looking to start in an IT position in Kelowna, check out ISM Canada. They have a good starting position available and are always looking to promote from within to higher positions. They are based out of Regina, but now have a large presence in BC with their latest contracts working for the BC Government and the BC Health Authorities. Good pay, great pension plan, great benefits and unionized. ISM Canada is 100% owned by IBM Canada, and the only unionized part of IBM in the world.

Once you get in, you can apply for other positions as they come available. Due to a lot of expansion over the past 8 years, there has been lots of opportunities for advancement. Plus, you can tap into the IBM jobs that come available as well.

Here is a link to a current "Auxiliary Position". 90% of the time the auxiliary positions become full time. This one will be making over $57,000 come Jan.1st, 2013. So pay isn't all that bad to start.

http://www.ismcanada.com/Careers/CurrentJobOpenings/BC1228AUXServiceDeskAgent.html

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. Just passing along some added info.
  20. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:

Odds are good we won't have too cold weather that you can't pressure wash them when you get them here. I know that's something you probably haven't considered given not a lot of Canada can say that in the middle of winter :wink: