Goldwing Riders Check In!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by BRAAAP, Jun 28, 2011.

1. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    I have a click, or spark, or something coming from the CDI, especially when it's cold that prevents one or more cylinders from firing correctly for various amounts of time, from a second or two, to 20 seconds. besides swap the CDI, which I can pull from another bike, is there something else I'm looking for, is there a fix inside the box, pull it apart and re-solder or isolate something?
  2. JWhitmore44

JWhitmore44 pistolero

Oddometer:
    I don't know of anything in the CDI that should be causing a click. I was under the impression the CDI was all solid state and had no relays. If you are getting some type of arching I would guess something is broke. There are about three relays above the coils. I know the pulse generators can go out but they usually go out when hot and not cold.
  3. mngl1500

mngl1500 []

Oddometer:
    There is an easy 5 minute test for the steering head bearing.

Put a floor jack with a piece of wood on top of it under the engine and jack it up just far enough so that the front wheel is off of the ground.

Grab a hold of the front wheel and slowly move it from side to side and feel for any notches.

Mine where bad and I tolerated the last half of summer with them and bought new ones as a winter project. Save some grief latter and when you replace them use the all balls tapered bearings and not the oem ones.
  4. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    mostversatile bike i've owned so far :)

Attached Files:

5. B DIRT

B DIRT Long timer

Oddometer:
    your moms house startn a small fire in her panties
    In :freaky
  6. txagfan

txagfan n00b

Oddometer:
    Checking in from Dallas here...ride a 07 Silver Audio/Comfort/Navi/ABS model ;-)

Oh yeah and to disprove the myth...I am only 29! :rofl

After owning a couple cruisers and an ST1300, I just LOVE this bike.
  7. El Duque

El Duque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

my 83 bagger

17k on new/used motor, rebuilt carbs, new tires, speakers and lots of extra parts.

Need I say smooooothe!

I've bought 3 runners and 2 parts bikes in the last 2 years. 83 on down. I like the older ones. After all that, i'm ready for something different tho.. I'll keep one.
    I wished it was this one (sold it)

[​IMG]

working on a 'naked' gl 1100.
  8. Dusty Boots

Dusty Boots Wanderin Saddle Tramp

Oddometer:
    Picked up this 92 Aspencade towards the end of the season (Nov) of 07 with just 20,000k on it.
    Now has over 179,000k on her and never misses a beat.

[​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  9. Trans4ormer

Trans4ormer B to V 1983

Oddometer:
    Here is my 2007 ABS Mega Monty Traxxionized Goldwing on the Dragon....Sold it Sunday
    [​IMG]
  10. Mr. B

Mr. B "Cogito ergo zoom"

Oddometer:
    Why did you sell it? I'm thinking about getting one.
  11. Trans4ormer

Trans4ormer B to V 1983

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with a Goldwing if it what you want/need....that time has passed for me. My wife doesn't like to ride and it is to big/heavy to ride the roads in the Ozarks the way I like to ride....even with the modified suspension. Time for me to get back to basics.

Hope you find what you are looking for.
  12. richarddacat

richarddacat Everything is green and submarine.

Oddometer:
    Back to basics?
    Let's see, a fast dual-sport and a FJR may be in order :rofl

Would have loved to have compared a stock GW to your Trax-GW. :wink:
  13. Trans4ormer

Trans4ormer B to V 1983

Oddometer:
    Richard....Traxxion is always a topic for heated debate on the GL1800 forum, as is tire pressure, oil weights/brands, car tires and a host of other things. Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinions, but "The best you have ridden is the best you know" pretty much sums it up. Their is no comparison between a stock wing and a traxxionized bike...period.

Back to basics for me is a KTM 990SMR or a Ducati Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP.
  14. riderjohn

riderjohn Tag Sniper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Here's my 1985 Interstate. 120,000 miles and still going strong.
    ACR likes this.
  15. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Prior Goldwing owner here. A GL1200 was the bike that really got me riding. Its been gone for 2 years but I still love a clean Goldwing (read that as minus all the old guy chrome and lights).

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk
  16. Scoutcamp

Scoutcamp n00b

Oddometer:
    I bought this 2007 GL1800 just this last October because my former motorcycle-phobic wife fell in love with riding 2 up on my KLR650. The KLR has a real butt burner of a seat after about an hour of riding. The Wing is great for the pavement, powerful, ultracomfortable and handles like a much smaller bike.

Attached Files:

17. Mr. B

Mr. B "Cogito ergo zoom"

Oddometer:
    (Please don't take this the wrong way).

Anyway, I'm seriously thinking about getting a 'Wing, but I have some reservations. I wonder if I would lose the "essence" of riding on two wheels. Even though it's SO big and SO comfortable, do you guys still feel like you're riding a motorcycle?

BTW, I'm an MSF instructor, and I taught an Experienced Rider Course to some members of a Gold Wing club last year. We all know it's a great touring bike, but I was very impressed and frankly surprised by how well those bikes handled in the tight maneuvers! Watching those riders made me reevaluate my opinions of the GW.
  18. Tip Over

Tip Over Whoopsie!

Oddometer:
    I absolutely feel like it's still a motorcycle. I feel that I have more of an idea of what motorcycling truly is then when I had my last bike.

For all the techno wizardry on the new ones, it can be ignored. You can turn off the GPS, cruise control, stereo, CB and all that hooey, and just ride.
  19. JWhitmore44

JWhitmore44 pistolero

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure how you would lose the essence of being on two wheels when on two wheels :) I've seen the comment "why don't you just get a Miata" from those that the Wing doesn't fit their idea of a motorcycle. My wife has a convertible Firebird and it's no where near like a motorcycle. Even thought thew wing is big, has all sorts of creature comforts, has great weather protection, you are still out in the wind (just not as much). Everything is still open, you still see the road flying buy your feet, you still smell all the smells (including the feedlot), you still hear the wind (more so with the quite motor), and you still lean through the corners.
  20. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    can't split lanes to the front of the line at the border in a miata.... No car has the leg stretching positions available as a bike, and it doesn't have to be smogged.