DR350 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by leonphelps, May 16, 2007.

1. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know a lot of people like the slip streamer. Personally, I was unable to find a spot on my DR350 that did not produce buffeting. I took it off and have much preferred riding in clean air sans windshield (plus I don't have to worry about smacking the shield when I crash in the dirt! :>). I may have endured the buffeting if I lived in a cold weather place. But, I don't - so I sold it to another inmate.

Other people are obviously pleased with their set up and they may have it angled differently, fit a different model, etc. I have a long torso and that really puts a heavy burden on a windshield.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
  2. BigBob

BigBob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Found a new instrument cluster to replace the beat up one on my wife's 1995 DR350.

How the hell do I get the key switch out? Parts fiche is no help.

[​IMG]

Thanks!
  3. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Flip the unit over. The key switch is round and fits into the circular portion of the cluster via a couple of locking tabs. Take a small screw driver or pick and pry the locking tabs in while pushing the unit out (up is out, if the cluster is mounted).
  4. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    GOt more info. THe link is ok but pics are hard to see (wont upsize). What size did you get for the DR350. Think that I woudl fill the bottles with gas for extended range!!
  5. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is an updated link, seems they just changed:
    http://cycle-analyst.com/sweetcheeks

I bought the one that accepts 2 liter bottles (it was the only style available at the time). I've only ever used water, though I think fuel might work (I've never tried). I bought size 7 and I think it works very well with my seat. Photo below of my DR350 loaded up for the initial pavement ride up to Mexican Hat, Utah were we began the UTBDR (and I changed tires to start out nice and fresh). That is as clean as my DR350 ever gets. Almost always it is covered in dust and dirt and mud remnants :> :> :>

http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/dr350_images/utbdr_1.jpg

Regards,

Gregory Bender
  6. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    You can buy this stuff in 4 X 8 ft sheets, or cut to size. http://www.interstateplastics.com/N...0.250&qty=1&recalculate.x=89&recalculate.y=24 I've been making
    skid plates out of it sense the "70s.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18558249&postcount=2806
  7. smc5735

smc5735 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hello everyone,

just joined the site because I picked up a 97 dr350se. Its all stock except for a white brothers e series exhaust. I'm in the process of registering it because I'll be riding about 50/50 for on/off road.

I just ordered a new speedometer gear, a Pirelli MT43 front tire and a heavy duty tube to be paired with it.

how hard is it to put on a new tire and tube? Have never done it on a dirt bike before so I'm sure I'll find out soon. Do I need any special tools?

I'll be adding pictures soon
  8. MadChap

MadChap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the DR350 world. I ride the same year as you.

Tools: You'll need a couple tire spoons and I found this item makes tire changes much easier on the knuckles:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/48/-/256/726/-/18288/Tusk-Valve-Stem-Puller

Watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFg44gjjDLA
  9. mustangwagz

mustangwagz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you get your tire spoons, check the ends and edges for any burrs or shape edges. maybe run em on a rubber wheel or polish them up nice and clean somehow. lol
  10. _CJ

_CJ Sitting on pins and needles

Oddometer:
    Is there anything better than a used low mileage DR350? Really? ~$1500, 70mpg, simple, reliable, does damn near everything you could ask it to do. The combination of affordability, durability, and performance are really just unmatched as far as I'm concerned.

:1drink
  11. EastBoundAndDown

EastBoundAndDown Ron - 300XCW DR650 990SMT

Oddometer:
    This is my stance on this machine also. 'Cept I can't squeeze 70mpg out of her!
  12. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice video! On the link to Rocky Mountain ATV, there are a couple of videos, too (under the "Videos" tab down the page a bit). They demonstrate a similar technique. I've found these methods to be much easier than other methods I've tried. Good stuff!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
  13. GaThumper

GaThumper Road Less Traveled

Oddometer:
    Thumpin' in North GA - headin' for the Smokys
    Hard to beat, for sure, reliable, easy to maintain, great bike, I've really enjoyed mine. But if your looking for more fun and comfort on the street and less hard core off road, give her big sister a ride. The DR650 is very similar to DR350, just more power and a little heavier. For dirt roads, forest service roads, jeep trails, and twisty pavement, I'll take my DR650 hands down. But for the more agressive off road, I'd rather be on the DR350. I'm glad I have both to choose from!
  14. _CJ

_CJ Sitting on pins and needles

Oddometer:
    And they cost $1000 more while getting 20mpg less. While it might be superior on high speed pavement, it loses in the overall....IMHO.
  15. GaThumper

GaThumper Road Less Traveled

Oddometer:
    Thumpin' in North GA - headin' for the Smokys
    I definately wasn't knocking the DR350, I LOVE mine! I had a DR650 first, then sold it and got the DR350 and have now bought my second 650, so I've got a lot of seat time on both bikes. It really is a personal preference. Get a Suzuki, get a DR, choose your size!

I don't think there's a loser between the two DRs, just two different sizes, and they are very similar bikes. If you want smaller, lighter, less power and better fuel economy, get the 350. If you want more power and you're willing to pay a little more, deal with an extra 50 pounds, and the fuel cost, get the 650. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either one.

BTW, in my experience, the gas mileage is not 20 mpg different. I know some owners report getting 70 mpg with the 350, but mine get's closer to 50. and my 650 is about 45 so not much difference in mpg for me. I've still got the stock CV carb on the 350, but have rejetted it with an FMF exhaust and open airbox while the 650 has a pumper carb, DG exhaust, and open airbox, so a pretty fair comparison.

Happy Trails!
  16. Spad

Spad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've used it too, in theatrical applications as a glide and as a shelf liner on a piece of fire apparatus. It seems to expand a lot with temperature, to the point where the shelf liner (4'x6') moved enough to pull fasteners. Have you had this problem using it as a skid plate near the engine and headers?

- Spad
  17. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    dr350 vs dr650 averaging better than 22mpg for me
    the 650 was jetted with open airbox
    the 350 is stock
  18. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    I haven't noticed any expansion, tolerance isn't critical on a skid plate. I use the stuff called "High Density Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethelene". It's really tough and seems to bend easier when heated without cracking so bad.
  19. drklr

drklr MotoTrvlr

Oddometer:
    Don't know if you removed it yet but this pic may help

[​IMG]

As a previous poster mentioned, slip a small screwdriver up to push those clips.

John
  20. EastBoundAndDown

EastBoundAndDown Ron - 300XCW DR650 990SMT

Oddometer:
    I love the DR350. If I didn't use it as a full knobbies, true plated dirt bike a few times a year, I would just own a DR650. However I won't hesitate to take my DR350 anywhere. I will slip some 90/10 street tires on and a 16T front countershaft. I have a 700MI overnighter to mount washington this september, and I might just take the DR350 instead of the SV.