Aussie fellas looking at travelling America, Canada and Alaska

Discussion in 'Americas' started by bufferrellie, Oct 22, 2013.

1. bufferrellie

bufferrellie n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

A couple of mates and I are looking a sending our bikes over to America and then touring through America, Canada and finishing up in Alaska.
    Just wondering if anyone out there could give us some tips on how to get the bikes over there and the best way of doing it (tips and traps).
    Also any suggestions on good places and rides along the way.

Looking a heading over in the summer (American) of 2015.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Happy riding

Bufferrellie
  2. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cant help you with shipping.

What bikes will you be bringing? The ride to Valdez is a must no matter what youre on. If you have thumpers, definitely do Mineral Creek Road in Valdez- its a dirt road twisting in the mountains. A few water crossings and some rough spots, but im sure someone with skill could pilot a big KTM or maybe even GSA.

If youre going down the Stewart Cassiar highway, you must take the ride into Stewart/Hyder. Its like a longer version of riding into Valdez. If you have ANY kind of dirty bike, or even something other than a sport bike, you should definitely run Salmon Glacier Road out of Hyder. Gravel road with epic views of Salmon glacier and the area in general. Denali highway Cantwell to Paxson or vice versa offer some of the best views in the state. Honestly, pretty much anywhere you go in Alaska offers great scenery.

I liked the Glenn highway to Anchorage too personally.
  3. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well how long do you plan to ride in N.America?

You can send your own bikes over, but doing this both ways will cost serious money.. plus it´s a lot of hassle, even when everything works like it should.

You also have the possibility to buy in the US, there are some hurdles to overcome, and rules vary from state to state, but it has been done many times. Or for shorter trips, even renting bikes could be feasible (...lower 48 to Alaska, probably not though).
  4. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    Aussies i've met while traveling have been 50/50, that is, half shipped their bikes back and forth, while the other half bought bikes in the US.

the guys having the most fun bought their bikes in the US, arranged storage, then came back and did it again the next year.
  5. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bufferellie
    I sent you a PM with an Australian contact who has first hand knowledge of shipping and buying.
  6. zoro

zoro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hodgo would surely have lots of information about exactly what you need to do, he's over there at present with his KTM.

Check the ride reports forum
  7. boeingbiggy

boeingbiggy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have used a company in Victoria called Get Routed. Used them back in 2011 to the US and again this year to Europe. They ship by sea and cost is about $3300 return. Bikes always have arrived in good condition.planning to use them again in 2015 to the US again.
  8. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice to see this awesome place we call home is so popular with riders from other countries. Truly, there is no place like the USA. Great people, great food, great lodging, great scenery, great roads, etc, etc...
  9. Meriwether

Meriwether Following big footprints.

Oddometer:
    Check out the price of bikes in the USA, and I think you will think twice about shipping your bike there, I know I did. And fair dinkum, shipping bikes anywhere ain't no fun, I would rather go to the dentist.
    Cheers,
    Mark
  10. Meriwether

Meriwether Following big footprints.

Oddometer:
    I found the USA to be a very friendly place, I have only fond memories. You only have to check out the tent space thread to get the idea. I look forward to returning next summer to continue my travels.
    Regards,
    Mark
  11. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    We had a couple of Kiwi's (yes I know yee are not the same) fly to Newfoundland and purchase 2 new machines. Local Yamaha dealership had them prepped to spec and plated. Picked them up and rode 17000kms of dirt to the pacific coast on the Trans Canada Adventure Trail. Sold them in British Columbia when they were done.
    Along the way they had a buddy arrive with his machine which he shipped and I assume shipped home. I would be willing to bet they could do a real life comparison for you.
    Inmate STAMERICA did all the write-up in the TCAT thread in the Canada regional form.
  12. jeff the chef

jeff the chef Adventurer

Oddometer:

I just returned from a twelve week, 30,000 km ride around Alaska, Canada and the states. I sent my bike with an Australian company called Get Routed, Bike left Sydney and arrived in Portland on the promised day, and returned back to Sydney also on the day we were told. Am planning on using them again in the next year. The cost was around $3200 and all the paper work was taken care off. Pm me if you would like more info on the company or our ride. good luck with your trip.
    Jeffrey