Go West Young-ish Man!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Hondarider, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Hondarider

Hondarider Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer:
    With Christmas over and nothing to look forward to in the near term besides the slow descent into the soul deadening abyss...the Stygian semi-suicidal madness associated with being a motorcyclist trying to survive the New England winter...3 months of bleak gray sorrow and isolation...forlorn bikes hibernating in a cold dark garage...I thought this was the perfect time to pen an overly wordy prelude to my next trip.

Something to look forward to...
  2. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    It all starts with a ride report I wrote a while back...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904400

Sometime near the completion of that particular tale, I received a message from a fellow forum member. I can't seem to find it now, but the gist was "Hey, I enjoyed your RR...my buddies and I go dirt biking for a week in Colorado every year...we're silly on a scale similar to your own...we're in Iowa...you should come along"

Who could say no?
  3. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Sadly...last year I had to say no. Despite the kind offer of a bike to borrow for the trip, I had a family trip planned for the same period of time...a National Park tour of Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana...6,500 miles with the wife and kids in a Jeep...good times.

I managed to stay in contact with my dirt bike benefactor throughout the year, and after he sent me a ride report at the conclusion of their 2014 trip, I was hooked. I'm in for 2015.
  4. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    First order of business...what to ride?

Would this finally give me adequate justification to scratch that KTM itch and move something exotic and orange into the garage? That super sexy 690 Enduro R or maybe an EXC 500? The possibilities were endless.

I queried my host about the other bikes in attendance, the typical mileages covered each day, and the pace of the other riders.
  5. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    OK...I'll save you the suspense.

While I was tempted...no mesmerized...by exotic suspension components, altitude defying fuel injection, engine performance beyond my skill set, European styling, and sexy orange paint, I eventually settled for anvil simple, anvil heavy, donkey cart sloooooooooow, and so supportable that you can buy spare parts at any convenience store on the planet. Not only that, but 2 or 3 other guys are riding the same archaic machines so we can put together a substantial pool of spares.

If you haven't guessed, I'm talking about the venerable XR650L and I just happen to have a low mile example sitting in the corner of my garage collecting dust...very convenient.

Attached Files:

6. Earache

Earache Hola!

Oddometer:
    Might be the perfect bike for the trip - ya won't know until you get there.
    Subscribed.:evil
  7. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    So the bike issue is settled. Had I started this thread a month ago, I might have opened the topic up for debate and I'm sure there would be a ton of opinions on the matter. The XR is a compromise in a lot of areas, but in the end, I'm intimately familiar with the bike, having owned, maintained, and ridden it for about 10 years...I think I'll be able to keep up with the group...and it has been ultra-reliable. Reliability is a big concern for me on this trip. I don't want to drive 2000 miles from MA to CO, meet up with a group of strangers, and then be THAT guy who breaks down and becomes a burden to everyone.

That being said, I want the XR to be the best that it can be so I expect to spend the next couple months upgrading as many weak points as possible. I've been tweaking this bike a little bit every year so a lot of the upgrades have already been completed.

Here's what I'm starting with...
    ~ Acerbis tank...huge...holds as much as your typical tanker truck and weighs about as much as a 12 year old girl riding on your handlebars...top heavy like a lollipop balanced on its stick
    ~ Corbin seat...opinions vary on thier products and customer support, but I clearly have a "Corbin butt" and I've had nothing but outstanding luck with this company...this seat converted the XR from a 50 mile/day bike to a 150 mile/day bike...narrow enough in the front for me to stand all day, but comfy enough for extended saddle time
    ~ Heated Grips...no downside whatsoever...except when I forget to turn them off at lunch and my battery goes dead
    ~ Dunlop D606s...I ride this bike almost solely on dirt and this is the second or third set I've put on this bike in the past 5000 miles
    ~ Cycra Bark Busters...metal frames seem to absorb hard hits and drops without sustaining any damage
    ~ Cannister-ectomy...all the smog stuff is long since gone
    ~ Super Trapp IDS2 pipe...loud as hell, but the bike runs so nice that I'm afraid to mess with it...I always wear ear plugs , but I don't want to irritate my new found friends
    ~ Dynojet jet kit...perfect for the riding that I do between 500-3500 feet, but I'm concerned that it won't answer the mail at 10,000 feet
    ~ Tail rack...I think it came from Moose...not sure...steel and robust enough to pick the bike up with
    ~ TAG bars...tallest bend that I could find...still not quite tall enough for my tastes though
    ~ Folding mirror...not much use as a mirror in the "up" position and perfectly positioned to break your nose in the "down" position...mostly useless

I think that sums it up...6500 miles on the clock...mostly stock...and never a single issue. Seems like a decent starting point.
  8. nichloasjerry1

nichloasjerry1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in and have subscribed too
  9. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    As I start to compile a list of potential mods, I've been studying this guy's thread...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=910844&page=14

If money and time were no object, I'd love to do everything this guys is doing. Since I have multiple toys and projects competing for my disposable income, I'm going to try to focus on the upgrades that will give me the most bang for my buck.

Here's what I'm thinking so far...I'm open to recommendations...

~ SUSPENSION...the XR seems to run out of suspension pretty quickly when the pace gets fast and the terrain gets rough. It's probably the most noticable weakness on this 2001 machine. I'd like to send the shocks and springs out to be tuned/revalved/whatever for my weight and riding style. I've heard good things about Precision Concepts in Riverside, CA, but I'd like to find a shop in New England if you know somebody.
    ~ SKID PLATE...seems like a requirement for rocky terrain
    ~ BAR RISERS...I think the 2" risers from ROX will get me closer to where I want to be. I prefer to stand when riding and, at 6', I could use a bit more bar height
    ~ FOOT PEGS...standing all day is rough on the insoles...even with my trusty Alpinestars...wide pegs should help out
    ~ EXHAUST...not sure about the loud-ass SuperTrapp pipe...its a bit obnoxious
    ~ JETTING...I think I should rejet for high altitude...any advice?

After that, I'm not sure what else I can do that won't impact reliability or waste money for the sake of aesthetics. I should probably try to trim some weight from myself as well as the bike. And finally, I need to figure out how I'm going to get myself and the bike from Massachusetts to Colorado in JUly.
  10. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    MOD1

Thank you Santa! I found this one under the tree yesterday despite the fact that Santa clearly had no idea what she was buying or what it was to be used for. Big shout-out to the Amazon Wish List function.

Attached Files:

11. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to this - loved your MA to CO report... can't wait to see what you pen for a dirt ride tale.
  12. Lowcountry25

Lowcountry25 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do "Dave's mods" and put a Lynx fairing on it and that bike will be ready to take you anywhere.

[​IMG]

I miss my '09.
  13. rufus

rufus We're burning daylight...

Oddometer:
    Get springs for your weight + the big tank and luggage. Use synthetic ATF in the fork and shock and the suspension will be pretty dang good. Not as good as a real dirt bike, but it weighs about 100 lbs more than a dirt bike.

Go down 10% on the pilot and main jet for anything over 6000 ft. It will run better, but will never be great at high altitude.

Cut the end out of the spark arrester. Not the screen, just the very end piece you can see from out side. It will run better, still be quiet and has a spark arrester

Get an oil cooler and use bel-ray EXP oil.

Gear it down. The high stock gearing puts a constant strain on the motor putting excess heat in the clutch and oil. I used 13-48 sprockets on the Continental Divide. You will only get about 40 mpg, but that's enough. The bike will run better and cooler and will still cruise at 60 to 65 mph easily. That's about as fast as I want to ride anything without a windshield.
  14. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Thanks man! This has the ingredients for a great story. An unsolicited invite to travel cross country to ride with a group of complete strangers in one of my favorite places in the world. They might be a band of sexual deviants...or kidnappers...or cannibals...I haven't a clue. I know virtually nothing about the group except for what I've read in a few emails...all they know about me is what they read in my absurd MA to CO ride report...there's the potential for an epic adventure...or huge disappointment. Then there's the fact that this is someone else's trip and I'm just along for the ride...not my typical OCD Alpha dog calling all the shots role...I'll be a follower...that should be an interesting change of pace...I can be MIke for a week. I'll be trying extra hard not to be a douche. I'm hoping that my host will chime in on this thread somewhere along the line to share his thoughts on the trip. IN the meantime, I'll be working on bike prep and a collection of gear. I'm thinking about some sort of hydration backpack and a tail bag and some fresh new gear...maybe a new helmet or two...and then deciding between a trailer or a bike rack for the long cros country interstate slog. Maybe I can even drop 10 or 20 pounds before the trip.

There will certainly be plenty to write about.
  15. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Just looked up "Dave's Mods" and read through the procedure. I think I might take a shot at that.

Thanks for the imput!
  16. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    You bring up an excellent point for when I send out my suspension. I need to specify my weight PLUS the weight of that silly gas tank. I would have missed that all together. Luggage will be minimal on the tail rack due to the weak subframe, but I might have 15 pounds of gear in my backpack so I'll have to account for that as well. GOOD ADVICE.

High altitude jetting is definitely a concern as well.

17. Marc LaDue

Marc LaDue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great to read something from Dave Barry's biking cousin again!

I finally found your thread here Ross, but don't know how to do so without going through my PM's. Oh well, I'll figure it out some day.
    You talk about so many points; I'll try and address them as best I can. Your (our) choice of machine makes sense for all the reasons you've already mentioned, but it's intended application is drawn broad enough to cover most of what we'll be doing fairly well, and that's even at 12,000 feet, which is likely more than I can say for us.
    Suspension is obviously important, and if you can afford sending it to someone who's "in the know", then go for it. I've done so on one of my bikes and don't regret it. I currently just don't have the additional income it would dispose of so nicely. My XR is a '12, and with its preload turned up to keep sag down to around 2-3 inches, I've had no issues with bottoming out or getting hung up on logs, roots, or rocks. And that includes riding down Black Bear's steps, where too little in the way of clearance could cost you dearly. Someone's suggestion about synthetic ATF fluid sounds interesting, however. I might have to look into its benefits.
    You say you're happy with your Corbin. I too had one for a while; unfortunately, it didn't fit very well, making it a pain to remount every time I had to work on whatever. In addition, it weighed considerably more than my Oem pan and foam, which I recovered with Al Baker's non-slip cover, so back on the Fleamarket thread it went.
  18. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    I can't help but notice that no effort was made to assuage my concern that this entire trip might just be some elaborate ploy by a band of bored Midwesterners to lure this overly trusting New Englander out into the middle of the Rockies for some sort of Surviving the Game scenario where I will be playing the role of Ice T and you'll be Rutger Hauer. I DO have a DD214 and I DO look awesome with dreadlocks...the parallels are unmistakable...I DO have concerns.

There's also the possibility that this is some sort of human sacrifice scenario where I'm to be offered up to some pagan god to ensure a bountiful crop in the fall. I don't know what you guys from Iowa are into. If I find myself trapped within a giant, burning, Wicker Man at 12,000 feet, I will be very put out.:rofl
  19. Marc LaDue

Oddometer:
    My new little Asus $99 laptop is taking some getting used to, and as a result it somehow entered my last segment before I was done. So much for me and technology, but you already knew that.
    Anyway, getting back to the above points. You mention decibels. Gene, one of last year's additions, also prides himself with keeping trails clear of bears and deer with his Big Gun pipe. We all know when he's fired up, and at times this can be beneficial, like when he's out of sight and you're wondering if he's coming, crashed, or dead. Gary, on the other hand, rides with Oem muffling, and pays the price in regards to weight. I've tried to talk him into going aftermarket, but so far he hasn't relented. I'll keep working on him, which means I'll also be bringing a couple (White Bros. & FMF) of spares, just in case. I can't stress enough how much more things weigh on the top of Mosquito than say Cleveland, Ohio
    Jetting can be a pain, but generally I've had good luck with Dave's Mods, and the recommended 55 Pilot/158 or 160 Main combination. Rick, our trusty sweep-rider, has a Dyna Kit installed, and he too has reported no issues. The only problem I've encountered is when a machine prepped with Dave's Mods is "enhanced" with a dyna tapered needle in its third clip. Perry's machine was jetted in this manner, and we had some problems with it last year. I hope I've got it sorted out, as I went through it the past week and reverted it to Dave's Mods only. Time will tell. I am bringing along three extra carbs, however, just to be on the safe side.
    Gearing is another item over which one can argue.
    Another inmate volunteered 13/48 or something similar. To be quite honest, I've had good luck with the Oem gearing, believe it or not. Keep in mind, I'm not in a race, and I spend a good deal of my time in first gear, especially when it gets truly technical. I've been told dropping the front down a tooth or two can be hard on an O-Ring Chain's O-Rings. This may be so, I couldn't say. What I do know is that I'm perfectly happy with 15/45, both when making my way through tricky rock sections, as well as for engine braking. And here is a point I see little written about; Rekluse Clutches and the like disable a thumper's capacity for assisting one's calipers with engine-braking. So, if you're thinking about one of these neat centrifugal additions, think again. Overheated and faded brakes are not something you want to experience coming down any of Colorado's finest.
    I noticed you've got a sizeable luggage rack on the rear. I've seen Gene's bike shake its rack to pieces, and Rick's frame cracked coming down Engineer's Pass due to too much crap bungeed to it. I use a Wolfman Rear Fenderpack for two reasons; it's waterproof and compact. It also has a couple of straps, in the event you want to roll up some clothing you'd prefer to discard for the moment. The rear sub-frame on XR's really isn't made for carrying too much at all.
    Tires, I have found, are less critical in rocky terrain. I've run 606's and Oem Kenda's, and was happy with both. All I really care about it a broad stance and well spaced knobbs, to discourage what little mud there is from filling in the gaps and turning it into a slick. As to pressure and rimlocks; Fritz from Gunnison's Independent Bike Shop recommends 13 PSI and one Rim Lock, along with a HD Tube (Moose preferably). Personally, I choose to go with regular duty tubes due to ease of use, less weight, and less bulk. I also installed a rim lock, but plan on running 20-30 PSI, simply because I don't want to pinch anything.
    I carry a front fender pack with a tube and some spare keys, a handlebar bag with some spare levers and tools, the already mentioned rear fender bag, with a slime compressor, bungees, tools, rags, and other small items. My set up allows the use of a tank-bag as well. In it I carry the heavy stuff, like tire irons, crescent wrench, chain breaker, etc. I also sport a fanny pack of sorts, that allows me to bring along a rear tube, some tire lubricant (although I hear talcum powder works just as well and weighs less), to facilitate popping the bead, and some fuses, SD cards, batteries, and a bottle of Diet Pepsi.
    In the final analysis, we're a bunch graying adults (and I use that term loosely), out to have a ball on our bikes. We achieve this by taking our time, enjoying the scenery as well as each other's company, and trying our best not to get hurt or suffer from any serious mechanical break downs. We are capable of fixing flats, repairing chains, and replacing cables. In the event this doesn't do it, I carry a "Buddy Tow" from Aerostich's Catalogue, that I have yet to use.
    From what I have seen so far, you'll fit in just fine Ross, and have a great time to boot! Don't fret over what you haven't prepped for, as none of us can see into the future. We carry as many spares as our chase vehicle can fit, including but not limited to a lift, tires, handlebars, pipes, chains, sprockets, carbs, jets, filters, cables, clutch, levers, perches, rear suspension, bearings, seals, CDI, fuses, wires, and even more tools.
    Keep up the thread and someday, maybe, you can show me how to post pix to this site,

LaDue
  20. Marc LaDue

Oddometer:
    As to your fears regarding human sacrifice and the like; quit watching so much TV. It was Iowa voters after all who are responsible for getting Obama's political boat to float back in '08, declaring our first black presidential candidate the clear caucus winner, and that's from a state that enjoys a 97% majority of crackers!
    We love everyone here in the mid-west Ross, even you! Don't let that motel experience in Adair color your perception; that, like my last fracture, was a fluke,

LaDue