DR750 & DR800 owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MCmad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pic,s Old boots.
  2. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Yay....another morning person :clap
  3. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Some of the attraction to Bigs are there rarity, though DR650;s are awesome bikes they cant really be considered unique

Though a 780 big bore could be consider every bit as rare as a Big so I;d personally say "calling all DR780;s welcome to the thread" ( please more info and I may consider building one myself)

PS, Rob you've not spent much time in the basement here have you (JM) :D and out of interest we did have an issue once in the thread and I did my best(with the help of others ) to can it back then, so it seems we mostly are a gentleman's club round here now
  4. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Your right sand is its main diet now days, and you would be shocked at how much better she goes now with a bit of weight' remove and a free breathing pipe
    [​IMG]

I did a road ride on the full knobbles a while ago and if you leaned off it and cooled the tires on the verge of the road every now and then she was awesome (guys complained a bit about the metal spray out of the corners though :D)
  5. nave

nave Nave

Oddometer:
    Oldboots- Here is now around 35 degrees in the shade ... And you show me a picture of a cool foggy an day:knary. Thanks!:clap
    I knew I had a similar one somewhere...
    [​IMG]
  6. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    My total file veiws from photo bucket now 94,480 at least they looked at me pictures :lol3.
    Over the last 4 months I have been busy collecting and buying many new parts for my latest rebuild, the bike is back too the frame and all the paint will be stripped off this week end and allso some welding will be done to repair it.
    This 750 will be for 99% dirt riding so I am using Por 15 paint on the frame , swing arm, linkages, battery box, and wheel hubs, foot rests brake pedal and motor, plus black rims.

Question time,
    Has any one got any complaints about the hole shot header pipe in stainless, and is it a slightly larger DIA, and did it fit correctly under the air box, eg, 25mm clearence.
    Or does anyone recomend another brand that is say roughly 2.5mm larger DIA and fits correctly.
    thanks, Rob.
  7. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Hi Nave :wave

Not seen you for a while
  8. nave

nave Nave

Oddometer:
    Hey 800rider, I'm allways around, almost every day I've been following the developments here :D
    I was very busy lately, I finished building our new home and we moved in just 10 days ago:clap:clap
    As for the BIG, its engine begins to show serious signs of wear (mostly very unpleasant noise ...) which means this winter will be a new Project.

one more from that fuggy morrning:
    [​IMG]
  9. davidgaal

davidgaal dave the slave

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, Im sure Im the zillionth guy asking but can anyone pls send me/ direct me to a free service manual for 1990 dr big? I cant find it anywhere to download.

Many thanks,
    david
    P.S. Im just in the process of buying one so photos will follow
  10. Vistar

Vistar Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. Oldboots

Oldboots Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see the beginnings of an early morning brigade!!
    Good pictures guys, they always inspire you and make you smile:D

Old boots
  12. hellicks hellmet

hellicks hellmet Prunc blastamat

Oddometer:
    I know there are some pictures of a guy's DR BIG SuperMoto conversion on this thread, I've deffinitely seen them, but I can't seem to find them anywhere.
    Anyway, the help I need with my project (it's a 750 with a DR 650 swingarm / rear disk brake) is an idea on how I could fit Suzuki GSXF600 wheels on it... I've seen many BIG's with that type of wheels on, but I've tried it, and the rear sprocket hub is WAAAY too wide... is there another type of hub that fits both the wheel AND the swingarm?
    Thanks! :freaky
  13. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Life goes on Aye, and hope you enjoy the new house, give us the address and we could Google map it and join you for a roof shout (not compulsory as understand the privacy stuff)

I'm running a 750 now which you may have seen and after stripping a bit of weight of it and adding a pipe and knobbies have found that it does quite a good imitation of a dirt bike in a big sort of a way
    [​IMG]

I quite like the opening travelling to some of the off road location but cant stand slow bikes so the 750 is doing that for me well

Also been thinking You really need another low K BIG as a donor for your monster bike

Mark
  14. ausibatla

ausibatla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ask Robmoto to put up a photo of his 800 Motaard. It'll blow your mind.
    Cheers.
    :clap:clap:clap
  15. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    how easy was it to fit the 650 rear end? does it bolt straight in?
    is that ebay i can hear whispering my name? she is a temptress!!
  16. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    Question time,
    Has any one got any complaints about the hole shot header pipe in stainless, and is it a slightly larger DIA, and did it fit correctly under the air box, eg, 25mm clearence.
    Or does anyone recomend another brand that is say roughly 2.5mm larger DIA and fits correctly.
    thanks, Rob.[/QUOTE]

hey Rob, i believe staintune will do custom pipes. i have been thinking of getting a system made. if you want to try this route let me know, they might do a deal for 2 (or 6 if you want the fleet done:D).
    cheers.
  17. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Simmo I am doing a 650 rear end right now, I got it of a fellow inmate give me a call if you want or come have a looky see.
  18. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hellicks Helmett, does this help, when the centre of the wheel is in the right place does the hub touch the swing arm at all if not just measure the spacers you need for either side.
    you could use washers as packers temporally to get the distances right.
    Ok now if your rear sprocket is not inline you can get a full ring spacer made for this with a coller on it to keep the sprocket allways central and get the sprocket machined to fiit over the collar.
    This works both way,s in and out, but when moving the sprocket inwards be aware that the chain needs to be off the tyre say minimum 15mm and chain guide which is the same as a 91 model that wrapps arround the swing arm is perfect.
    [​IMG]
  19. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Simmo, I have found a header pipe supplier slightly larger dia custom built and reasonable price.
    My neveau used to work there staintune Mitta gong, and my sister works across the road, small world.
    Then theres Ron Barrett Bilpin.
  20. hellicks hellmet

hellicks hellmet Prunc blastamat

Oddometer:
    Straight bolt on. 30 min job, with the right tools.