Shell can kiss my A$$

Discussion in 'Canada' started by 7year, Mar 22, 2009.

1. maxscycle

maxscycle Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I agree with most here, if this is your biggest complaint, get over it. I like shell (and sunoco) because here in delaware, they are about the only ones who still have 3 hose fuel pumps. I don't want that 1/2 gal (or whatever) of low octane in my high octane bike when I fill up.
    max
  2. wos

wos Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you were 16 there was no such thing as a plastic bedliner. The jerry can and the bedliner slide around and build up a static charge which then can discharge to the filler nozzle. There were several incidents reported over the last decade resulting in the law being created. Even the fuel flowing into the jerry can will cause this static charge to be created so you put the jerry can on the ground to dissipate the charge.
  3. Submariner

Submariner Submariner

Oddometer:
    don't have to worry about that shit here in oregon. the attendant has to run the pump no matter what. except they will let you fill you on tank on the bike. but they are there to hand you the hose and to hang it up.

we are so spoiled...........:lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

but it is getting real hard to find a 3 hose station....:huh
  4. Bollocks

Bollocks Farts with an Accentâ„¢

Oddometer:
    I always get off the bike so i can smoke a cigarette while i fill up, i don't want the ash falling in the tank and it's nice to stretch ya legs.
  5. doughy

doughy Less excitable then I used to be

Oddometer:

+1

We are all a little desensitized about petroleum actually being a pretty volitile product. Static charges are also very common, especially in cold dry weather. Think of sitting on your bike when a short or static spark happenens and some spillage or fume ignites. I dunno about you but I would rather be at the side of the bike then watching that flame come up into my face. It's pretty flammable people, don't get too upset at some of the stations for not wanting to have a fire. I know the odds are slim but that's the point there is still a chance. Trust me when I say ATAGATT won't do shit if your on fire. :D

What really pisses me off, is when they won't turn the pump on until I take my helmet off. :huh I have had this many times. WTF??!?
  6. smeagol

smeagol Beemer Virgin

Oddometer:
    To politely clear that one up, there are a few good reasons for pre-pay in BC. First and foremost is that poor guy, Grant De Patie, that got dragged for 7.5 km under a car driven by some teenaged scumbag that was trying to do a "gas n dash." 7.5 km's under a car, he was nothing but bits of clothing and bloody flesh hanging on bone by the end of it.

Secondly, if you knew how many police man hours and taxpayer dollars were wasted day in and day out in the Lower Mainland alone, you'd have made the same decision. Most of the gas n dash calls were from stolen vehicles, but a fair amount were people to pissed off at high gas prices to be bothered to pay like a normal human. And almost none of these theft cases were ever prosecuted if the guy was caught anyway... :topes I know, but that's Canada's fak'd up "Justice" system for you!! There's better use for this country's LEOs, like catching the miserable shites that killed Mr. De Patie.

So that's mostly why you have to pre pay for gas now. I'd think about that poor dead kid and his family, and politely remind someone the next time you hear them grumbling about paying before they pump... I don't see what the big deal is anyway, you eventually have to pay, who cares if it's before or after??

Makes sense to me. Just my informed $.02
  7. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer:
    +1
    Happy Monday, man.

To the OP: the whole idea of getting off the bike is a good one. It minimizes the chance of you drowning your privates in petroleum.
  8. PXX

PXX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some gas bars are abusing the pay before the pump is turned on rule. I had one gas jockey tell me I had to prepay a minimum of $20:huh when I complained that the tank on the bike wouldn't hold that much he told me after filling, come back in the booth a 2nd time for a refund! Not that big of a deal if they aren't busy but waiting through a long line twice wasn't worth the $15 of gas I wanted. The gas station across the street from them got my business that day. The irony was they didn't even ask for prepayment:clap 150 yards made all the difference
  9. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:
    Really? What is their reason for wanting you to take off your helmet?
  10. easyriver

easyriver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes we have had many "gas & dash" incidents around Bridgewater as well. I don't blame the owners for going the Pre-Pay route. Pity the poor (minimum-wage) attendant who has to pay for the gas out of his/her wages.
  11. doughy

Oddometer:
    I dunno, I couldn't understand the accent.....It was a Petro Canada:huh

Being that they have my plate on camera I am in a busy station and it's the middle of the day, I was more then a little annoyed.

I was super pissed, I actually complied and spent about 30-45 mins filling 5$ worth of gas, cleaning my bike with squeeegee water, paper towles, I even took my gear off had a smoke away from the pumps (leaving my bike there) then I went in and paid. Putting my gear back on was a whole different story.:evil
  12. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    Not sure what she did wrong, but if this happened while sitting on bike, you'd jump off, bike would go over, toast the bike and possibly blow up the station....and then you could sue them for millions..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KK48hQ78Kk

Also, after watching Ewin get gas in his eyes twice during the "Long way around", (if at a pay at the pump) I leave my helmet on and close the visor. alla F1 pit stop

Stand Up
  13. Longknife

Longknife Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They want the helmet off so the camera can get a good look at your face. Honestly, the attendant is just trying to do their job and enforce policies that are handed down to them by someone who makes a helluva lot more money than they do. Give the the guy a break and don't be an ass when they're not trying to be one. I'm assuming from some people's post that they've never unintentionally pissed off a customer in their whole life.:huh Give me a break.
  14. smeagol

smeagol Beemer Virgin

Oddometer:
    seriously dangerous, but funny at the same time because everyone's OK:rofl

static discharge is a bitch!! lol
  15. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I gas up at Shell all the time and have never had to get off the bike or remove my helmet. I usually shut off the motor these days and put out my cigarette because it's hard to pump gas, smoke and talk on the cell phone at the same time.
  16. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    I have no problem getting off the bike to refuel 'cos mine's a KLR and I can't put both feet flat on the ground. Would rather know that the bike is on the stand and therefore far less likely to fall over.

I don't mind taking my helmet off to pay either - if I have to go into the store to do so. If I'm just using a credit card at the pump then I wouldn't bother to remove it. I think it's fair enough that if you're going into the store you should remove the helmet and be identifiable - you may have no intention of breaking any laws but the staff there don't know that.
  17. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I often run into a store to buy something without removing my helmet. When people are forced to remove hats, sunglasses, hijab, etc. then I'll remove my helmet too. If asked I'd remove it or myself. Voting with your dollars is a fair way to dissent.
  18. 2Trider

2Trider Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Great vid...and that's what happens when you don't panic should it go "poof"...no fire... notta..just one poof.
    Gasoline as a liquid does not burn...just the fumes...keep that in mind if you get the poof:wink:
    Ideally everything needs to be grounded and really a ground wire should be attached to the vehicle and you to leak away any static. :lol3
    As things are today you should never let go of the nozzle while filling....why most pumps have the lock on the nozzle disabled. As the vid shows what can happen otherwise...singed hairs:lol3

The way it is going they should ban jerry cans cause if your filling whatever with one of them and it goes poof...could get messy:eek1 :D

Or if the Greenies get there way gasoline is toast anyways so it's back to horse and buggy:lol3 :lol3 making all this talk moot:D
  19. doughy

Oddometer:
    I wish this was the case, but the attendent was a total asshole about it, he didn't ask he told me. There is a big difference. From what I did understand through the intercom was was "take your helmet off now, or no gas!" and it wasn't in a friendly way. I was off my bike, keys out (I have a locking gas cap) and I wouldn't have been able to go anywhere anyhow cause the amount of people trying to get gas. This station is a pain in the ass, I have been in there before with my cage.

I am always smiling, I never shoot the messenger, but I sure as shit won't put up with ignorant messengers. There are places in Toronto where common courtesy has gone out the window. This being one of those cases.

If it's Petro Canada's policy, no other Petro Can follow this policy
  20. nvdlboy

nvdlboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Vancouver, BC (right beside the forest)
    I usually hop off as I have had a 0 kmh get off at the pump once :huh; sometimes I take off the helmet and sometimes I don't, but I don't really get worked up over it.

I don't have an issue with prepaying given the horrific result of Grant's choice to try and stop a gas 'n dash. As for the limit being $99 or $75 at the pump when your vehicle needs more, try pushing the "other amount" button, that worked for me when my wife's van had a 95 litre tank and gas was ~ $1/l - the pumps still defaulted to $75, we used pressed "other amount" and chose $85 or $100 or whatever we figured we needed.