Just placed an order for my first diesel.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Terrytori, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Terrytori

Terrytori Namaste

Oddometer:
    A tarted up Audi Q7 , Silver on chocolate leather. Never owned a diesel before but
    Got seriously hooked on that 406 lb./ft. Of god's hand at my back during the test drive.
    It's primarily a kid/dog hauler with the odd long road trip thrown in. Any body have experience with the Q Ship?
    Feedback appreciated.
  2. Adam E

Adam E OK

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a nice kid/dog hauler.
  3. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no substitute for torque. :D
  4. TooFast

TooFast Long timer

Oddometer:
    Clatter Clatter Clatter

What's that stinky smell?
  5. Terrytori

Terrytori Namaste

Oddometer:

Fortunately, that's yesterday's news.

Test drove both the Porsche Cayenne diesel and the Audi Q.

No clatter , no stink from either of them.

Chose the Audi or the 3rd row seating.
  6. TooFast

TooFast Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't mean to rain on your parade, it's a nice car, some diesel vehicles have good sound insulation for their occupants...,However

Sitting in traffic with semis, busses, motorhomes, delivery trucks, pickups, etc the clatter is very annoying, even deafening. I live on a connector street and have gotten tired of listening to all the clatter driving by. Ford pickups with 7.3 and 6.0 motors are terrible. Over here, we see so many 1 ton pickups with DRW out back, big exhausts, boosted turbos, etc and one person in the cab using as their daily commuter makes very little sense with the increased engine price, maintenance costs, fuel price, etc.

But for the rest of us around diesel vehicles, especially in stop and go traffic and LSD fuel, cat pee injection, still stink. Was sitting behind a new VW TDI the other day and ended up shutting off my car's ventilation to avoid breathing it. My buddies wife won't let her husband park his new TDI in their garage because of the exhaust smell which eventually even gets into their house.

So I'm only for diesels in large commercial/construction vehicles that need tremendous torque. You guys on your side of the pond can suit yourselves, over here diesel cars aren't popular, thankfully, IMO.

Just my .02, spend it anyway you want
  7. Hodag

Hodag Native

Oddometer:
    get rid of it when warranty runs out
    audi warranty
    audi your garage
  8. rapidoxidationman

rapidoxidationman Easily trainable

Oddometer:

You might be thinking of my old Benz diesel, but the newer ones are pretty much air purifiers and noise absorbers:lol3
  9. TooFast

TooFast Long timer

Oddometer:

A lot of people say you've got Ford's best diesel engine ever, esp the later ones
  10. TooFast

TooFast Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're so right, the newer ones MBs are much improved as some others and that Q car is quite a car

I've been generalizing quite a bit about all diesels, just tired of them in general, not to mention there's a lot of gas motors making big power now with good gas mileage to boot like the new C7 Vette
  11. xscoobysnack

xscoobysnack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got an 02 7.3l. It's loud, it's rough, it stinks and I love it. Programmer, exhaust, intake, turbo = :clap
  12. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like Audi and I like diesels. I do not have any experience with the Q7 but I bet it is really, really nice. If I had plenty of money and a few kids I think it would be perfect. I have a couple newish diesels and don't really notice the smell or the noise. My 2012 F350 is hugely quieter than my last 2004 super duty.

What has really begun to irritate me is the 1980's (and older) vehicles on the freeway spewing unburnt hydrocarbons. Getting behind one of those...Phew!

DD
  13. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd rather smell a little diesel exhaust than unburnt gasoline any day.
  14. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    Oh no...those petrol company share holders aren't going to like it when they see you getting all of that fuel economy :D

I drive a Mitsubishi 3.2 Did Pajero (Monteray over there?)....quiet,fast and with lots of torque even with an automatic box. I get about 11 or 12 litres per 100kms...

The new 6 speed Range Rover V8 oil burner gets great economy also....very uncommon here to find a big petrol engine in a car.

The diesels of today are so refined compared to what they used to be.....there's quite a lot of Audi's and VW's where I live...great going cars..enjoy your new toy!!

:D
  15. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    You suck.

I had a 96 PSD and before we'd gotten it paid off, the SO and I split and she took it with her. :bluduh Miss that truck. :nod 4" exhaust was planned. Programmer was planned. Locker in the rear was planned. Alas! Its never to be. :cry

M
  16. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    Thank you for referring to it correctly as lb/ft. A lot of people say ft/lbs and it drives me nuts.
  17. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    My buddy has a Q7 with the 3.6 gas motor and the only thing that hasn't failed is the Check Engine light. Its on every day. :lol3
  18. rapidoxidationman

rapidoxidationman Easily trainable

Oddometer:
    actually, you're quite wrong. It isn't feet per pound as your note implies, nor is it pounds per foot - a way to measure pressure. IIRC, torque is measured in foot pounds, or pound feet - they multiply each other (not divide) and as such you can put either of them first.

I think.:lol3

Edit: Torque is good. 500 ft. lbs on the D-Max, and no smoke:clap
  19. harlie75

harlie75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody know what to do about the diesel odor in the garage? My daughter's brand new TDI is so bad she leaves it outside now and even when she parked it inside the door was always open when it was running but the smell permeates everything in there. She is NOT happy.
  20. A-Bone

A-Bone Indubitably

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

But you have to hook it up and remove it each day...which sucks...

Gotta create a negative pressure in the space... thats about the only other thing you can do...

If you are handy you could probably wire and install a dampered exhaust fan for less than $500

[​IMG]
    Or stop worring and learn to love the diesel....:lol3